315mm Front brake upgrade

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I don't, i just make this stuff up as i go. My science is that i overheated my brakes once on a scary decent so i just kept doing every brake improvement possible as well as extra extra low gears to not need brakes as much in those situations. I do use carbon fiber pads which seemingly do really well scorching hot.

CharlieNorth

I apologize about my comment, I had not directed the pad comment to you, I had seen someone in your thread claim the bigger brakes would not help with fade. I know very well you know what you are doing and know very well your vehicles are well built and sorted.
I am working on a dual piston rear caliper setup and recently saw you mentioned a rear upgrade you had done but I have not seen it.
My Turbo Gen 1 has 12" rotors with 3 piston rear Girling calipers that worked quite well, It has 4 piston calipers up front.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Charlie, no need to apologize i sorta figured it was a for the sake of the thread. As for my rear brakes i only upgraded to vented rotors and i have absolutely no idea if they helped nor before & after temp readings to even notice a difference. I can stop 37's and the brakes don't overheat so i'm just happy with it ? .

I would love to see your Gen 1 setup though, I have been looking into getting some Wilwoods fit to the V8 Montero. For now i just have some colorful rebuilt calipers for fun.

CharlieNorth

My G1 setup.
Rear, Nascar type alloy brake hats machined & drilled to fit the axle flange. Select rotors to suit. 11.75 to stupid large OD and a variety of thicknesses. The rear Calipers I used, I actually do not recall, they are kind of obscure as in Maserati Quatraport of something. They were a respectably long pad with P brake off the back. I never did set the P brake up.
Today there is such a good selection of Brembo or Willwood style calipers I would look at.

Front, I think it was 1" thick aluminum bar stock that I machined to mount the stock car type disk.
Toyota 4 piston caliper.
Way back then it took me some time to find good pads but once I did these brakes served well at both high speed and low, mountains or mud and hood deep water crossings.

The interesting part of that Montero, I spent a bunch of time pocketing ball joints, shock mounts etc. 8 ½" front travel was the reward.

Photos I hard to get right now, it is parked in window deep grass and the underside is a Northeastern crust. I know I have some though both on film, which I shot slide back then so the thousands of slides are hard to view. I do recall shooting some digital a decade or so when I was still driving it.

I do have a few pics of the 35 gallon alloy fuel tank that I built with 5/16 plate. I just jack in the center of the tank to lift the rig.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Old Colt, you once had a fleet of pics on The Wire, describing the custom brake work you done. Does that thread survive intact?

CharlieNorth

I don't know, I will need to look into that. I did find my original introduction posts from '06 when I first posted about the 3.8 in my SR so I expect other threads might be there. I am impressed there seems to be very little loss of data on that site. Just major loss of following.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke