315mm Front brake upgrade

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
NS/NT front brakes bolt on but require 17” wheels IIRC and you have to swap the knuckles. Someone in the US did the swap and has the parts list. I think there is a thread also on the Pajero Australia forums.

Thanks KyleT. The international factor scares me away from this option, specifically where to find replacement parts (if at all).

I'm a Gen 3 guy too! Working on sliders right meow.

I thought I heard you say somewhere that you were selling your Gen 3 to get an Outlander or something...

Sliders you say? Perfect since I've bought everything else you make for the Gen 3 (if you don't count Marks t-case gears). Thanks for the Black Friday birthday present spending spree excuse. Looking forward to installing the skids and sibi bushings.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Well I've decided to keep it a while longer and do some things, installed an ARB front bumper and I'm doing the sliders. Probably do a rear bumper then hopefully sell it for an Outlander GT so i can R&D that.

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
Well I've decided to keep it a while longer and do some things, installed an ARB front bumper and I'm doing the sliders. Probably do a rear bumper then hopefully sell it for an Outlander GT so i can R&D that.

On behalf of fellow Gen 3 guys, I applaud your decision and look forward to whatever "some things" you have in mind.

ARDOR

According to my notes, there's also a matching rear disc upgrade from a Gen 3 that nets you a thicker, vented rotor and calipers with a larger diameter piston but I don't have all the details. Apparently it only requires swapping the rotors and calipers from a Gen 3. Parts are as follows:

GEN 3 REAR LEFT BRAKE CALIPER, MR510541
GEN 3 REAR RIGHT BRAKE CALIPER, MR510542
300MM GEN 3 BRAKE ROTOR, MR418067

Has anyone pursued or verified this?

plh

Explorer
Has anyone pursued or verified this?

Visually, it looks like it will fit. Gen 2 rear rotors are 314mm diameter vs. the Gen 3 @ 300mm, so you loose a little there, but the the greater thickness and venting would be an improvement.

davidgreams

Do you have problems with fade? A big brake kit isn't going to make the pads last any longer or stop faster, it's just more mass to deal with more heat.

As to your question about balance, you should be fine, all rear brakes are smaller than the fronts because they do less of the work. It wouldn't hurt to replace the rear pads with something better than stock though.

YogaSlackerSam

Do you have problems with fade? A big brake kit isn't going to make the pads last any longer or stop faster, it's just more mass to deal with more heat.

As to your question about balance, you should be fine, all rear brakes are smaller than the fronts because they do less of the work. It wouldn't hurt to replace the rear pads with something better than stock though.

I think, a bigger rotor generates more torque on the wheel - i.e. more stopping force

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...

I think, a bigger rotor generates more torque on the wheel - i.e. more stopping force

This has been asked of me several times considering the pad size is the same, you probably wouldn't notice with little stock sized tires but having a bigger diameter rotor definitely helps stopping force (think of it as a larger lever for your brakes). As for the fade the bigger brakes have much better ventilation and longer fins extending down towards the hub unlike the smaller brakes. I noticed a difference but i also ran 35-37" tires.

CharlieNorth

Adam,
Do you have a link to info on what you do for real brake improvements. I have 315s ready to go up front once I commit to 16s+ on this.
And my opinion for those concerned with brake fade, get much better pads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles