Merricks Garage - Dual Band Radios

Cult Hero

Observer
Please go easy on me, I am a radio neophyte but wanted to post my video up here in the hopes that some of you more knowledgeable radio operators could chime in.

I basically produced this a precursor for those not sure what they need or want.

camp4x4

Adventurer
James, since you aren't getting a lot of replies, I'm gonna post up a version of what I emailed you:

1) You shouldn't be using those radios on FRS. They aren't licensed for it.
2) Going GMRS and purchasing a 5-year license would allow you to keep doing what you're doing (i.e. Handing radios off to your kids and friends) while actually being within the law and not having to go full ham and take the test (though that route is actually way cheaper).
3) Would love to help you make a proper video that's both legal and a bit more informative on how to actually get licensed, get setup and use these things.

I love to see people moving away from CB towards GMRS and ham, but too many people are putting out half-truths and bad advice around the cheap HT's right now, which is eventually going to lead to a backlash from both the ham community and the FCC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Handheld ham vhf/uhf transceivers are not to be handed out to unlicensed friends and children. I pretty much stop watching after that since basic knowledge was lacking.

wirenut

Adventurer
I commend you for trying to make a video about a subject that you admit not having much understanding of. There is some useful information. However, I see some major problems. The radios your are using are not legal for the FRS band. You are not allowed to run more than 1/2 watt on the FRS band and you can not use an external antenna. Allowing a child or other inexperienced person to have unsupervised control of a radio capable of transmitting on public safety and other licensed bands is not a good idea.
I think much more emphasis should be given to the consequences of transmitting on GMRS, Amateur, and other services without a license. Yes, lots of people do it and get away with it. But, the FCC can and does track offenders down. They have some very sophisticated equipment for doing so. Fines can be into 5 digits for violating FCC rules.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
So much misinformation. Please consider redoing this video with input from someone who is familiar with technology and regulations.

It's OK to let non-licensed people talk on your radios, but the ham licensee needs to be in control of the station. That means being able to take over should it be needed, stuck key, a need to ID, etc. So you can't just hand them out and let people walk away. You make the contact with the other station, hand the mic to the person who wants to talk.

You can hand off radios with GMRS (or business radios) as the license holder to family members under the umbrella of your license. With MURS/CB/FRS you don't need to have a license, using an approved radio confers the license to operate it.

Neither of those radios are approved for use on business/EMS bands, FRS, GMRS or MURS. They are amateur radios and can only be legally used on the ham bands.

And interference with public service, aviation, military or EMS /will/ bring the hammer (up to including criminal arrest under some circumstances). Operating on amateur bands without a license will probably get the attention of ARRL observers who are our liaisons to the FCC. Not that it holds a lot of sway with the FCC, but they generally do try to assist we hams with piracy.

camp4x4

Adventurer
Definitely seems to be a trend in the response here, James. I know you were expecting some of this kind of response, but I hope that the fact that the ONLY responses you've gotten show that this is generally not ok. In our emails you talked about the gun community self-regulating. Well, this is what it looks like in the ham community.

The message should be pretty clear: you're doing wrong. Please stop, and please stop encouraging others to do so as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles