Dual battery solar controller.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Dual battery solar controller, What are you using to charge both batteries from your solar panel.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Dual battery solar controller, What are you using to charge both batteries from your solar panel.

There are quite a few dual bank charge controllers out there. One specifically designed for RV type stuff would be the Morningstar Sunsaver Duo.

Very popular, but it's PWM, which is fine unless you're getting into a larger array (>200w) and would rather have MPPT.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Blue Sky makes an MPPT controller with dual outputs.

BUT, as a practical matter, some form of dual battery system, with, for example, an intelligent relay, might be a better idea. Especially if you have shore power as well as solar. And, assuming properly sized wiring, will allow the vehicle's alternator to charge your camper battery and make it easy to use the camper battery to self jump. (In the unlikely event that it should be necessary.)

Last edited:

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
I found out my ecoworthy 20 amp mppt can charge 2 batteries at the same time, one from the battery out, and the other from the load out.

Which ever battery needs more amps gets more amps.
Nothing in the ecoworthy directions says it can do it, but it can easily charge 2 batteries, maybe all controllers are capable of doing it also.

Another option is use a y splitter from the battery out (like I do) and you can connect another battery in that way, I use it to charge my jump packs while charging my house battery. In the split, whichever battery needs more amps get more amps.

No need for any isolators, or dc to dc chargers.

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
I keep my float voltage at 14.5 volts all the time, so stage charging is not something that I monitor, I only notice that a battery connected to the load out behaves like the one connected to the battery out. I don't notice any difference between charging from battery out or load out. It seems they might be both on the same circuit. I did notice if I have a battery on the load out, I can leave the battery out with no battery and controller will still operate.

The only big difference being the load out has an overvoltage relay that will cut off power if the voltage goes above a certain setpoint to protect 12 volt devices connected to it. if this relay is triggered you have to manually turn the load out back on.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I keep my float voltage at 14.5 volts all the time, so stage charging is not something that I monitor, I only notice that a battery connected to the load out behaves like the one connected to the battery out. I don't notice any difference between charging from battery out or load out. It seems they might be both on the same circuit. I did notice if I have a battery on the load out, I can leave the battery out with no battery and controller will still operate.

The only big difference being the load out has an overvoltage relay that will cut off power if the voltage goes above a certain setpoint to protect 12 volt devices connected to it. if this relay is triggered you have to manually turn the load out back on.

The load circuit is also usually amp limited. Most are 10a max.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online