Convince me to get rid of my 4Runner for a Land Cruiser.

AK.xplorer

Observer
I just read two outstanding books, one book talks about how to make big power from an in inline six, the other book, was how to build an outstanding quadra-jet carb.

A ford 300 or a chevy 292 would be a killer swap into a 60 series. I'd have no qualms spending $1500 on a nice fj 60 or fj62 with a clapped out motor or trany, and yanking that crap outta there for a REAL upgrade.

The upgrade would have to have that glorious low down grunt of an inline six with over twice the power. It would also have to exceed a 12-ht by a large margin.

The Quadra-Jet is the next best thing to EFI, one of the best carbs for rough roads and off camber stuff common to overlanders.

292 chevy will bolt to any common five speed that a small block chevy v8 would bolt to

ford 300 will bolt up to a zf5 five speed, which has better ratios than a toyota h55. A new one is also dramatically cheaper.

NP205 transfer case will mate up to both.

I consider myself a Toyota mechanic, having worked on all them. BUT i'm not smoking that brainless fanboy crack, and a larger american inline six put together by a machine shop with all the finest tolerances, bearings and forged components, far exceeds a 2F or a 3FE. Especially.......fuel economy.

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/dyno-video-straight-6-chevy-pulls-320-horsepower/

Dalko43

Explorer
OP, what model year is the 4runner?

If the 4runner works and is realiable, then I say stick with it. Trading it for a LandCruiser of 1980's vintage isn't going to get you away from any of the maintenance issues that you're already dealing with in the 4runner. Now, if you're seriously thinking about trading up to a newer vehicle, like a LC200 or 100, I would give some serious thought to the 4runner, FJ and Lexus alternatives. They can usually be had for cheaper, and, depending the on the year and model, can sometimes have the same engine as the LC100 (the LC200's v8 is used only in the Tundra/Sequoia).

Arktikos

Explorer
I did drive a trail edition when they came out. I left thinking I wouldn't get rid of my 3rd gen for one, but I wouldn't rule it out if an asteroid or something suddenly crushed the 3rd gen. lol

I haven't had the pleasure of driving any 4Runner newer than my 2001. After driving a UZJ100 today for the first time, I can offer my impressions and a comparison to the 4Runner.

The 1999 V8 with over 260K miles impressed me with its smooth, quiet power. This truck, though it may look like just another soccer mom SUV, is most definitely an extraordinary specimen. Land Cruisers have always impressed me with the feeling of invincibility they seem to convey, and this one is certainly no exception. It's quite likely the most solidly constructed vehicle I will ever drive. However, in the more mundane yet practical comparisons to the 4Runner, it can come up short.
Seats: LC has leather seats, which I don't like, and the electric motor for raising and lowering the driver's seat, which I also don't like, was broken in a position that didn't afford me enough headroom. 4Runner wins in the seat department, even if the seat had been adjusted correctly. Dash control layout didn't seem as intuitive in the LC, though that may be due to my relative unfamiliarity with it. Also, the coil front suspension of 4Runner provides a better ride than the LC torsion bar, I believe. And of course, the size and heft of the vehicle contributes to the familiar Land Cruiser wagon dismal fuel economy.
I've driven Land Cruiser 40, 60, 70 and 80 series. Although this one is undoubtedly the "best" of the bunch, I'd have to say it's my least favorite of them to drive. Dunno, I just like the older, slower trucks and their smaller sizes.
Same goes for the 4Runner. Even though the 2001 is nicer than the older ones I've driven, its not as fun.

Stick Figure, it's definitely worth a look to satisfy your curiosity. No doubt the 200 series is even better, with its coil front end and further refinements, but I'd have to feel as rich as Croesus to get into one of those. :Wow1:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Very puzzeled by this ^
The LC is all springs the 80 was too. The seating in the LC is dramatically different both by width, height and front to back spacing. 260k with no interior refresh the Seats will be beat down and nothing like one with 100k on the clock.

Having owned both for many yrs. The 4runner is the poor mans 4x4 wagon suv compared to the LC. The only complaint that makes sense is fuel economy, weight and width. However handling in the LC is dramatically better due to its width compared to the 4runner.

I liked the 4runner because it was compact, cheap and easy to find. Passenger comfort in the 4runner was honestly not very good. Handling at speed was not good at all. Those two things handling and comfort is why I sold the 4runner.

tlrols

I drive a 3rd gen 4runner...as much as a LC would be nice I can't do it. The 3rd gen 4Runner is likely the most agile rig in its class out there and that means everything in the back country. I know some folks bash the IFS and say solid axles are the thing. I say naw. If you want a trailer queen rock buggy then sure, but if you drive to your back country adventure than IFS is just fine. Stay within the rigs capabilities and it will not let you down.

I know that swapping out parts likely seems repetitive but think it over. You KNOW your 4Runner and really, new lower ball joints every 100K miles? What is that, $300 every 5 years? Seems way cheaper than a car payment on a newer Land Cruiser. Get your calculator out and look at the cost of buying a LC that you don't know. Plus the Cruiser is BIG with a thirsty engine...it can tow things and haul weight though.

I aim to keep my 4Runner and repower, etc. as needed. I do know that if I repower it will be getting either a diesel swap (big money) or super charged engine. More power is something that the 3rd gen 4Runner needs, but only if you tow or run super heavy loads.

Maybe what you need is someone to reconfirm that indeed, the 3rd generation 4Runner is really one of the best rigs out there. I use a A-frame trailer however, so I don't struggle with sleeping in my rig. Maybe you should look at a bigger rack (I run a big K9) with a RTT or maybe an old school cabin tent. If I am going some where I can't really go with the trailer I just load up the big 10' by 10' Kodiak Canvas tent on the rack and head out.

tlrols

Calicamper I am curious as to your comment on handling and comfort. Were you running a stock suspension? Did you buy your Runner new, or used? Being an aficionado of used cars I can tell you that new OEM parts really make things shine. Especially on the front end. I guess we all expect a new car feel out of a used car which only happens if you put new parts in once in awhile.

umpqua

Observer
I have a comedy show for you.....
I owned a 2000 4 runner with a five speed manual with the boring mini van engine. Blah.
There is nothing unique about them, they are boring to drive, and limited with space.

I applaud your future move to the 60 series.

One of your best bets, is to keep track of Canadian classified lists for an HJ-61. I've driven or owned all the 60 series.

Right hand drive takes no time to get used to, shifting gears with your left hand. The one I drove last year was a high roof model, front and rear winches, old man emu suspension, full floating rear end, intercooled, turbocharged. This cruiser was down-right manly.

Can't beat a 12 h-t, inter-cooled, and mated to an h55. It was by far, the most fun to drive Toyota I've ever been in. With the Canadian dollar so low, I guarantee you'll find one for under 6 grand american.

Heres a good one, start negotiating with this clown, he wants to much at roughly $10,000 American, it has some goodies:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...er/1229361789?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Looks like he lowered the price on craigslist bc to about $9000 American:
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/5948621649.html
I bet if you flashed 6 grand american in his face, he'd bite.

I would NEVER buy 3fe powered or 2f powered 60 series, knowing that I can get a 5 speed manual with a 12-ht for chump change, without having to spend a bunch of stupid money doing conversions. I get a chuckle over a guy who spends more money on a five speed conversion and that silly "2FE", than what you spend on a used hj-61

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Calicamper I am curious as to your comment on handling and comfort. Were you running a stock suspension? Did you buy your Runner new, or used? Being an aficionado of used cars I can tell you that new OEM parts really make things shine. Especially on the front end. I guess we all expect a new car feel out of a used car which only happens if you put new parts in once in awhile.

Fresh stock. OEM is good Slee is better but never felt like dumping that kind of money into car. I'd rather get a new set of racing sails on my sailboat. The LC width makes it far far superior to the skinny 4runner when it comes to highway handling.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
They are two different vehicles. It like comparing a corrola and a Camry. No really it is. If you want better space, comfort etc get the LC. If being able to wedge into tight spots and cost is more important get the 4runner. After having both I will say one thing. I wont ever own a 4runner again, but I dont need a skinny trail rig either. BayArea living you do lots of big pavement miles before you hit dirt. The LC was king of that comparison regardless of its 13mpg.

brianrride

Keep the 4Runner and get a small trailer?

After owning both and currently in a 100 series, I like the simplicity and efficiency of the 4Runner better.

Good luck with your decision!

Arktikos

Explorer
I owned a 2000 4 runner with a five speed manual with the boring mini van engine. Blah.
There is nothing unique about them, they are boring to drive, and limited with space.

I applaud your future move to the 60 series.

One of your best bets, is to keep track of Canadian classified lists for an HJ-61. I've driven or owned all the 60 series...

Personal preference, for sure, but the Toyota 3.4 V-6 is considered an excellent engine and highly regarded by most accounts. Toyota is now putting the next generation of those V-6 "mini van" engines in 70 series Land Cruisers overseas, you know.

Also, OP stated that if he bought a 60 series, he would be putting a Toyota V-8 in it, which is also a great engine.

Regarding space in a 3rd generation 4Runner compared to a 60 series, I found that for myself sleeping in the back there's little difference. I have to lie diagonally in either one. If anything, 4Runner seemed a bit more comfortable for some reason.

Stick Figure

Observer
I'm going to need everyone to stop responding to this and pretend I never posted it. I think the 4Runner is reading this. Two weeks ago we were in LA to shoot photos at the Grand National Roadster Show when the out board CV joint gave up in one of the original axles. Not at all surprising given the age and abuse they've seen, but 40 miles limping around LA with parts of the bearing cage sticking through the boot in an area that isn't really forgiving to breakdowns wasn't fun.

I'm still watching for a local dealer to show a 100 series that looks to be a decent shape so I can get a good feel for the vehicle. Mean while I'm planning to redo the 4Runner set up and switch over to a RTT since that could be carried over to the 100 series if that happens anyway. Now I just have to call Toyota and spend more than I want to on an axle to get rid of the Napa part that got us home. lol

I'm still watching for a local dealer to show a 100 series that looks to be a decent shape so I can get a good feel for the vehicle. Mean while I'm planning to redo the 4Runner set up and switch over to a RTT since that could be carried over to the 100 series if that happens anyway. Now I just have to call Toyota and spend more than I want to on an axle to get rid of the Napa part that got us home. lol

Not sure where in So Cal you are located. http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=448319616&zip=92335&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D92335%26showcaseOwnerId%3D578272%26startYear%3D1981%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2018%26modelCodeList%3DLX470%26makeCodeList%3DLEXUS%26searchRadius%3D10&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2018&modelCodeList=LX470&makeCodeList=LEXUS&searchRadius=10

Stick Figure

Observer

Damn, that bling tho! lol. Thanks for the link, I am actually up in San Jose now, so Ontario is a bit out of the way.

One thing I have been meaning to ask that the "Lexus 100" reminded me of... Does anyone make a cloth conversion for the 100 series? I am not a fan of leather, especially used old leather. It wouldn't be the top of the list, but when it cracks and rips because it wasn't properly cared for does anyone make new skins that are made of a good cloth? Possibly Toyota from another market?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online