Convince me to get rid of my 4Runner for a Land Cruiser.

Stick Figure

Observer
Let me start by saying I love my 4Runner and it has been with me since 08. In that time I've put around 170k on it and it now sits at 280k miles. It's fairly well equipped and has always been super reliable and well maintained.

DSC02979-660x371.jpg

So why even think about getting rid of it? Well there are a couple of reasons:

Space. There are only two of us, but with fridge, camera gear, and other um necessities its getting cramped and a bit awkward to find things while traveling.

Maintenance. While the truck has been taken care of and the joints and bearings have been re-done, that was all back at 180k. So those pesky ball joints have 100k on them again, and the bushings are still original. This thing isn't falling apart by any means, but when I already have 5 other older Toyota projects cars, I know what is inevitably going to happen here, and a used low millage purchase is easily cheaper than a restoration.

Moving on to the Land Cruiser line up, I have dreamed about all of them at some point.

Looks alone I would go 60 all day long. This also happens to fit my 80's Toyota collection, but thats besides the point. Obviously you aren't finding a 60 with low miles (or quality rebuild) for cheap anytime soon. To do my own build would mean keeping the 4Runner at least until the 60 is "done".

I've thought about a 100 but honestly seems like I would be making a straight trade just for a truck with unknown history. They are the same age as my 4Runner, and will be in that same age/millage/Toyota Discontinued That Part territory. So it seems like I would gain space but not much else.

On to the 200. They are growing on me. They are a bit pricey compared to the other options, and would require me to sell off more than the 4Runner. I need to let go of a few of these cars at some point anyway, but I don't want to regret it either. Its tough to argue with the ease of a newer vehicle, but I don't know that I am fully convinced that I like all the new gadgets. I recently sold off my GS430 because I hated the way the drive by wire drove. I just really like simplicity and driver control over trusting a computer second guessing my choices which has me a bit hesitant to pursue this option more.

I know I ramble a lot, and there is probably a good chance this will all end up with me just throwing more money at the 4Runner that I already know and love. I want to feel like I made the best choice here though, so I am reaching out for some outside opinions that won't have that emotional attachment to the current ride.

Hothonda

Keep it.....you have it set up where you're comfortable + know it inside - out + already own it....

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
I'm sure you already know the answer and you're just sharing your situation with the forum which is nice of you :)

Stick Figure

Observer
Keep it.....you have it set up where you're comfortable + know it inside - out + already own it....

Which is all true, and usually how I talk myself out of this upgrade lol

I will start with California question (60 year native). I will assume that the project vehicles are not licensed. If they are licensed that is costing you money just sitting there. If you have these projects. Are you working on them? If not maybe then selling them with the 4Runner would give you money to get the newer, lower mileage vehicle........

The running cars are legal, registered and insured. The two non runners are not registered here and are technically "my moms cars" if certain people in the state ask lol. The one that would have to sell would be my AE86 Corolla. While the rest take up space and are worth a bit the Corolla has stupid money into it at this point.

I haven't done a rack on the 4Runner, but do have mounts for the shovel, jack and rotopax up top on the stock rack, so the roof is being used. The biggest space issue is the sleeping arrangement.

We have the Fridge in the rear up of the truck:

DSC00301-1024x682.jpg

and I have made a small storage area between the back seat and and fridge area that can unfold into a bed. For longer trips we completely remove the rear seat and install a storage area that's basically the height of the wheels wells.

DSC00378-1024x682.jpg

The problem is the set up and tear down time. everything on top of the bed has to come off and basically get shoved into the two front seats. It just makes it take a while. We have talked about going to a RTT, but then my fuel has to move which means I am building a rear bumper to hold it. Which is where I start considering a new platform to start with because that sounds like a decent amount of work and investment into a truck I've had for almost 10 years and is really starting to get up there in miles.

I'm sure you already know the answer and you're just sharing your situation with the forum which is nice of you :)

lol I swear this is a real contemplation. I think what I really need to do is spend some time test driving.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Test driving is good! I helped my apprentice search for a new rig, and we test drove a bunch of 3rd gen 'runners and Tacos. We drove my 100 series to most of these test drives, and every time I got back into the 100 after driving a Frunner or a Taco I loved it even more. I've had 40s, 60s, 80s and now the 100. Go do some test driving!

mtndude23

Observer
Even with a cruiser, all that stuff in the back will have to move to sleep in there. Go with an RTT or ground tent, if that's really the issue. But, most likely you just want a new toy-in which case get a new toy and have fun!

C-Fish

Adventurer
We sleep in the FJC. All the gear in the back has to come out to make the bed. It takes about 45 min to make ready once we're at camp. I added a Foxwing awning and it made a world of difference in making a shelter for outside the vehicle.

With added walls you have total privacy and protection from wind and rain.
The only issue is setup and tear down if moving every day.

We recently bought a Turtleback trailer to hold all of the gear, now we can make camp and be sleeping in a few minutes. This works very well for us as we like to move almost every day when exploring.

I've thought about selling the FJC for a 100 series. The FJ is paid for and I've got $$$ and time making it just right for us. Hard to walk away and start over with a new vehicle.

Last edited:

Stick Figure

Observer
We sleep in the FJC. All the gear in the back has to come out to make the bed. It takes about 45 min to make ready once we're at camp. I added a Foxwing awning and it made a world of difference in making a shelter for outside the vehicle.

With added walls you have total privacy and protection from wind and rain.
The only issue is setup and tear down if moving every day.

We recently bought a Turtleback trailer to hold all of the gear, now we can make camp and be sleeping in a few minutes. This works very well for us as we like to move almost every day when exploring.

I've thought about selling the FJC for a 100 series. The FJ is paid for and I've got $$$ and time making it just right for us. Hard to walk away and start over with a new vehicle.

So you know the struggle! lol I have never really set out to "go camping" (never two nights in the same place) and usually my planning involves stopping whenever I get tired and converting to sleep. That's what gets old especially when we generally travel in the winter so outside at night is rather chilly. Not a deal breaker obviously because we've been doing it this way for a few years, but it could be better which is what got me to start thinking about a vehicle change.

I did think about a trailer as well, but I think a vehicle change might be the better option for us. Especially when we have been known to drag a uhaul full of crap back from some of these trips lol

p nut

butter
Have you thought of an Access Cab Tacoma? Not sure how tall you are, but if you're sleeping in the back of the 4Runner, you'll fit in the 6' bed. Good room behind the cab for your fridge and other cargo as well. High roof shell and you're good to go. Much more cargo capacity than a 4Runner.

If you had kids, I'd whole heartedly recommend a 100/200.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Just wanna throw this out.

Look hard at the 98-02 LandCruiser, I initially wanted a 62 but price was just to much, then 80 but ended up test driving an 80, 5-spd 2007 Hundy and then the 2000 model hundy which has the four speed, (all within four hour of each other) and they all are different in the way they drive. I settled for my 2000 model based on price and service history.

98-99 will not have ATRAC but have the rear locker, 2001 will have ATRAC and rear latch attachments if kids are in your future.
Mines a 2000 model. I am 6'4" and with the second row removed I can sleep in the back flat and without going sideways.

Labrack sells adapter plates to make a level platform where the second row seats bolt in.

But the best thing you can do is drive one around. The feeling and the solidness of the LC is amazing.
Not to mention AWD with center diff lock.

Not to mention Toyota engineers designing the LC with at least a 25yr service life.

Good luck with the decision, I'm a recent Tacoma to LC guy and if funds allowed I'd have the wife in a T4R. Lol...
It's her favorite but the LC is slowly growing on her, especially after realizing the security she has driving around 3-tons of Yota!

Last edited:

Box Rocket

You'll gain some space with any model Cruiser (wagon) you choose. It's not a huge difference in space but definitely better. In terms of trail capability, a 100 series will be similar to your 4Runner mainly because of the IFS design. An 80 series is arguably more capable with solid axles especially if you get one with factory lockers. The 80 will probably feel the least powerful, unless you get a 60 series. The 100 series feels moderately more powerful than an 80 but it's not as big a difference as many would hope. The 200 series cruisers are special. I know there are a lot of people (particularly some Cruiser purists) that think it's too soft and has too many gadgets and technology. Having spent some time in a few different ones, I can say that the 200 is a fantastic vehicle. The 5.7 is such a good motor! They are extremely comfortable. The ATrac and Crawl Control systems in them are very effective. They take a bit of getting used to but they work very well. Between the bit of time I've had on the trail with a couple different ones owned by friends as well as seeing firsthand the punishment that the Canguro Racing 200 series takes racing in Baja I have zero apprehension about the durability and toughness of the 200.
I had a Tacoma of the same generation as your 4Runner. They are great vehicles and I really like the 5VZ. The smaller size makes them feel much more agile. That said, the cruisers are on a whole different level in terms of build quality and durability. My 80 is 10 years older than my Tacoma and still feels tighter and well put together. There's a reason the Cruisers are a premium vehicle.
I agree with the others who have suggested test driving a few different cruisers.

ishtheengineer

"The one that would have to sell would be my AE86 Corolla. While the rest take up space and are worth a bit the Corolla has stupid money into it at this point."

I can feel the regrets from selling an AE86 from here.

I would say keep the 4 Runner since you already know the history and trust it (plus its free to do that) and maybe look into a light RTT like the new yakima one that is coming out soon. That would gain you more space.

Stick Figure

Observer
Have you thought of an Access Cab Tacoma?

That is an interesting idea that I had not actually thought of. I will have to do a bit more research and looking into them.

Just wanna throw this out.

Look hard at the 98-02 LandCruiser, I initially wanted a 62 but price was just to much, then 80 but ended up test driving an 80, 5-spd 2007 Hundy and then the 2000 model hundy which has the four speed, (all within four hour of each other) and they all are different in the way they drive. I settled for my 2000 model based on price and service history.

My biggest question for the 100 Series is parts availability. I know my 80's Toyotas get met with a "No longer available" response on parts requests, and my 2000 4Runner is starting to get the same answer. Is the Land Cruiser more immune to this issue? We all know they can last forever but eventually you're going to need something and its just so much easier to buy new good parts than risky parts store junk or searching for a used whatever.

You'll gain some space with any model Cruiser (wagon) you choose. It's not a huge difference in space but definitely better. In terms of trail capability, a 100 series will be similar to your 4Runner mainly because of the IFS design. An 80 series is arguably more capable with solid axles especially if you get one with factory lockers. The 80 will probably feel the least powerful, unless you get a 60 series. .....

I should have probably mentioned my 60 series dreams involved giving the 3UZ sitting in the shop a new home. ;-) 80 Series would likely be the same answer, but it seems like most of them that I have seen for sale locally are in the "needs everything" state of repair which brings me back to the 60 because if I have to build from the ground up I think I would rather start there.

I'll admit the 200 didn't get me really excited on first look either, and find the stock trim level far more luxury than I would purposely build if I could start from scratch. Parts availability and the "new everything" factors are the real appeal for me.

I thank everyone for throwing out some opinions, and I think we all agree test driving is next. As well as me getting a couple of other projects finished up and put up for sale. I'm either going to be doing more work on the 4Runner or starting a new project so the money and space will help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94