The Rig Runner ...a 2010 E350 5.4 DIY Coil Conversion

Raul

Adventurer
Which side steps do you have and do you like them?
They are Carr Super Hoops. Short on driver and passenger and long on the barn door. I do like them and help a lot climbing on board. They do flex a little bit as they just bolt on the body, not on the frame. I have two battery boxes to install under the barn doors and I'l have to modify something as the step interferes.
Love this van and it's transformation
Thank you. Yes, quite some Cinderella story. Besides all the changes, what have really make it special are the travel and adventures we are doing with it.
Now that is quite functional I want to pay a little more attention to details like refinishing the interior plastics, curtains and finishing the House batteries set up.

Raul

Adventurer
For the last few weeks I've been working on the Door Galley. The goal was to hold the stove, have a fold down surface to work that could be open and used from the inside. Room for spice rack, some cooking utensils. Also I wanted to be useful for just driving so the top is a cubby for the second and third row, cup holder and phone charger. On the sides, there are four bungy cord cubbies for the first aid kit and toiletries. I cut the inner door skin so I was able to use the door depth also.

I also finished installing the 2 house batteries under the step. Duracell Marine-RV 27DC 200min @ 23amps amp. Ill have preferred 2 golf cart batteries, but they will not fit with the standard van Boxes. I have to cut the solid terminal on the rearmost batteries as it was making contact with the body crossmember. Tight fit indeed.
IMG_5086.JPG

IMG_5301.JPGIMG_5303.JPGIMG_5304.JPGIMG_5306.JPG

I still need to finish the bottom opening and run electricity for the phone charger and a LED strip at the top of the hatch for coocking

Last edited:

Raul

Adventurer
I finished the bug screen for the barn door. This is Texas, so any opening will be used by, specially the mosquitos, to share the bed with you. I used in the pass a screen on the outside of the door, but wanted something more sleek. The main challenge was to allow the opening mechanism to work without messing the screen.
I hot glued the screen to the window trim, glue two pieces of plastic creating a window. The back piece was glued only on the inside , creating a flange where a portion of a sock is held to seal while allowing the window to operate.

Raul

Adventurer
Finally some bits and pieces that were in process are coming to an end.

Awning. Not thrilled about the poles, I need to find better ones.

Not all the gutter clips were on.

Sleeping platform. Finally the side lids are done. The center platform is a folding table.

Half mattress. For now I'll use an old futon mattress. I'll probably end up using twin size trifolds.

mitchn06

Ok, so they don’t exactly clamp on like traditional gutter mounts. I have a pvc awning system I made for my Tahoe, and it really comes in handy, but not sure how to secure it to the van without having an actual roof rack system to secure it too. I’m not too thrilled about making new holes in the van either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raul

Adventurer
No, they clip on the gutter and, as the awning is under tension, they stay in place. The awning have to be removed when not in use. It takes about 5 minutes to set up if you can reach the gutter.

I like this solution because I don't need a rack and I do not have to have the awning hanging outside when not in use.

mitchn06

No, they clip on the gutter and, as the awning is under tension, they stay in place. The awning have to be removed when not in use. It takes about 5 minutes to set up if you can reach the gutter.

I like this solution because I don't need a rack and I do not have to have the awning hanging outside when not in use.

cdad4b0767b6101ec5241fa27bd7e7c6.jpg

Meet to find a modified version of this tarp clamp. I’m surprised nobody makes anything like what you engineered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raul

Adventurer
I tried those clamps, clamping at the gutter. Didn’t work for my application. Time consuming to clamp, never able to clamp hard enough and didn’t allow to close the doors. I have none of those problems with my clips.

Raul

Adventurer
Replacing rear windows. The sealant of the windows was not in the best shape. I've marked in the pictures the areas where I think I was getting some water getting into the van. On the fixed windows there is no bolts on the upper side so I can see a path there.
I have the pop out windows installed, but I was late and I didn't do any pictures of the final result.
The glass on those pop out windows is scratched (form the salvage yard or being around in my garage). Does anybody has any experience removing scratches?

Raul

Adventurer
This weekend we were able to do the first sleep out on the van. It was a short trip to Sam Houston National Forest, but allowed to test the livability for our family of four. I love having a roof hatch. No need for using the fan as it van not hot, but it is nice to have the top opening.
The fridge did well. It is a dorm fridge with extra insulation in the back, top and bottom. Compressor is moved out about 3" out of its original location and extra insulation added there. It run quite a bit but didn't drain the batteries. I plan to insulate the front door. As is, it should be good for us as we do not have chance to stay in one area for more than one night. Lets see how it does in summer.

Swivel passenger seat is great. It opens up a lot of usability compare with my old van that ad similar set up without swivel chair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94