The Rig Runner ...a 2010 E350 5.4 DIY Coil Conversion

Jsweezy

Explorer
The cutaway chassis frame is different in the rear so thats not a simple swap. Many many things to consider and scratch the ol head on with a swap like that.

Oh I didn't know that, thanks for clarifying. Good thing I didn't try it then! Ha ha

Raul

Adventurer
Oh six, I send you a message.

I am not set on the 5r110. I had chance to get one for cheap and it would have save me some time. I am not going to do a complete build around a transmission. I'll love the big gas tank.

I'll try to get 4.10 gears. I'll be adding a posi in the rear anyway and I may get Ohsix stuff as starting point. Can the Ujoint coil kit be used with the Quigley axle or they mess up the anchor points? I.e. Is the quigley axle an unmolested f250/350 axle?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Oh I didn't know that, thanks for clarifying. Good thing I didn't try it then! Ha ha

Yea, I've tried to mix and match parts, no bueno.

Oh six, I send you a message.

I am not set on the 5r110. I had chance to get one for cheap and it would have save me some time. I am not going to do a complete build around a transmission. I'll love the big gas tank.

I'll try to get 4.10 gears. I'll be adding a posi in the rear anyway and I may get Ohsix stuff as starting point. Can the Ujoint coil kit be used with the Quigley axle or they mess up the anchor points? I.e. Is the quigley axle an unmolested f250/350 axle?

The Quigley axle has been modified to be its own thing, can't be used with either kit we offer.

ohsix

Can the Ujoint coil kit be used with the Quigley axle or they mess up the anchor points? I.e. Is the quigley axle an unmolested f250/350 axle?

I just replied to your message.

Like ujoint said, the Quigley axle has had the OEM track bar mount cut off, so it can't be used in a kit that uses a stock Ford Superduty axle. I'm switching from Quigley to MG/UJOR for better front end geometry, more bump travel, and the ability to run larger tires without fender trimming. I don't think the Quigley setup is bad. Especially for mostly pavement duty with light offroading. I do think the MG/UJOR setup is a better fit for my needs/wants though.

Raul

Adventurer
Slow progress. I've taken all the interior trim pieces and seats and clean all the dust/dirt.
IMG_9400.JPG

On the engine side, I've done the mandatory oil change, air filter, new plugs and coils. Before the plugs and coils it has a cylinder 3 misfire. Now I have a cylinder 4 misfire and a evap system failure (PO446) :mad:

IMG_9408.JPG

I've done the first upgrade. I wrapped the steering wheel. Not bad for being my first time doing this from scratch. The leather has sentimental value as it is from the sofa I grow up at my parents home. DOwn the road I may give it another try, for now on I like the added thickness and the feel.

IMG_9403.JPG
Does anyone knows what is this connector for? It is not being used and it sits behind the upper coin tray

Vandit

Observer
I believe that is the plug for the 2009+ Ford factory brake controller.

Looking good, good luck with the build!

Raul

Adventurer
Making some progress. Before I put a lot of effort, i wanted to make sure the foundation was solid. Replace all the coils and spark plugs to get rid of the codes and misfirings and the thing is running like a champ. :wings:

Preparing for the monstaliner, I started scraping with a razor blade the areas where the paint was flaking. What a crappy paint job!
IMG_9436.jpg

Before I apply anything, I need to make sure the base will not peel off. The original gold paint seems to be in good shape. The gray primer peels right of in some spots and hold in others. This week end I'll work with the sander.

IMG_9429.jpg

Inside everything is stripped down and pressure washed. I've started placing some Peel and Seal patches on the roof and doors. I'll be running some 12v and 110v wiring before I insulate the roof and put a new headliner. I'll get rid of the original rear headliner as I think it takes a lot of headroom because of the air ducts.
IMG_9433.jpg

Questions:
How much Monstaliner will I need to paint all the exterior except the roof? 1 gallon for the bottom and 2 Gallons for the rest?
How can I apply monstaliner on glass? I want to cover the rear most windows with the same paint I'll do the body.
Where can I get a passenger airbag cover without having to buy a whole airbag? The airbag never deployed, but I am guessing by riding with their feet on the dashboard someone rip the cover.

Last edited:

Raul

Adventurer
Front bumper out. It is not as heavy as I expected.
IMG_9438.jpg

Working with the new Dual Action Sander. Once the flaking paint was scratched out, it seems that I'll be left with a solid base for the Monstaliner. Still debating if I need 2 colored Gallons + 1 black gallon as I am not doing the roof.
IMG_9448.jpg

Front end stripped out. Peeling the chrome grill. It will be painted as the rest of the van. Trying to get rid of all the shinny stuff? How are you supposed to replace light bulbs? to remove the Headlights I need to take the bumper out!
IMG_9451.jpg

Next weekend may be painting. I need to order the paint, but I haven't made up my mind about the color. Black at the bottom and for the top Desert Sand, Sans Panties or even blood Bath...

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
For what it's worth on gearing, I had a crew cab f150 with the 5.4 and 4r75, with 35s and 4.56 years. It pulled great and I never felt like it was geared too short. When I first put it together, I lived in Kentucky and drove a lot of highways with 80mph limits. When I hauled my slide in camper (around 8500lbs setup I think...?), I was happy to have the 4.56 gears for sure. SO 4.10 will be ok with 33s, but you won't regret 4.30s either IMO. It is really a small difference either way, but personally if I were paying to re-gear I'd go with 4.30s. The 5.4 isn't exactly a power house, and the 4r75 has a tall first gear.

As for the transmission, the 5r110 is much better for sure. There is more to it than just number of gears and ratios. But a decently built 4r75 with low (numerically high) gears with help reduce stress on the trans, and a good tune will help it shift firmer and faster which should reduce heat build up.

Raul

Adventurer
Productive day today. Most of paint removing/sanding is done. The front passenger fender had some broken tabs, now they are fixed and the fender is back in place.
IMG_9478.jpg

IMG_9472.jpg
Front springs were shot. It looks like this thing was riding on the stops more often than not. The I-beam is ground down:Wow1:

IMG_9475.jpg
I had some MOOGS 860S lying around that were too tall for the E150 so I decided to install them for the time being. Here is the new vs old comparison.

IMG_9477.jpg
Quite a gain in height. I eye balled the camber. No big deal as this front end will be gone.

In the afternoon I went to my local Auto Recycler as I remember seeing an ambulance and somebody here mentioned that they have an unusual rear end.
IMG_9486.jpg
There she is.
IMG_9481.jpg
Beautiful first numbers and last letters. :wings:

I got the axle for $550 including the rear springs.

Monstaliner paint is coming on Saturday so I'll be painting Tuesday. Once the van is painted and all the exterior trim and bumper is back in the van I'll make room in the garage for the front axle and start shopping.

DudeAbides

Observer
How much monstaliner did you order? This took 1 gallon of sans panties
59eda9fb665ae4b24f2ae57b25fa2ebf.jpg

Raul

Adventurer
I ordered 2 gallons of Desert Sand and 1 gallon black for the bottom all around. Not doing roof. The Monstaliner lady told me it should be enough. I'll try to avoid thick spots.

Raul

Adventurer
Something to get excited.

I finished painting the upper portion of the van.
IMG_9552.jpg
Two coats took a little bit more than 1.5 Gal. Too bad the rest goes to the trash.
IMG_9554.jpg

No more chrome. In 4 or 5 days I'll do the bottom and bumpers in Black

I also got new wheels. Original F250 with Michelin LTX AT2 275/70/18 with about 4000 miles.

IMG_9534 (3).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles