The Rig Runner ...a 2010 E350 5.4 DIY Coil Conversion

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Looks AWSOME!!! I dig the cedar...it will help keep critters from wanting to be room mates!

I have a question..did you keep the 860s springs? Im thinking that since I have the 7.3 diesel I will need the 880s but Im trying to not get too much lift and keep running my 32/33s

how did you fix the issue with the trans sensor?

keep up the build reports!!! Im enjoying them quite a lot!

Raul

Adventurer
Looks AWSOME!!! I dig the cedar...it will help keep critters from wanting to be room mates!

I have a question..did you keep the 860s springs? Im thinking that since I have the 7.3 diesel I will need the 880s but Im trying to not get too much lift and keep running my 32/33s

how did you fix the issue with the trans sensor?

keep up the build reports!!! Im enjoying them quite a lot!

Thank you Wandrerer. I am following your build with quite interest as well.

I didn't like the 860s. I went with the 880s which, it is my understanding, is what MG used on the design of his kit. I have the 5.4 engine and it is a little bit stiff. I had the 880 on my old E150 with the same engine. Sometime I wonder if those may work better for me. even though I have bottom them already...:confused:
On the 7.3 you may want to get the 880s
From some document I found from Moog these are load and height of the springs.
CC880 Load: 1850.00 install H 13.00 Free H16.00
CC880S 3006.00 12.00 16.60

If you are referring to the issue I had after rebuilding the transmission, it turned out to be low level of fluid :squint: As the tube for the dipstick was still wet from filling the transmission, the dipstick was being covered as I was dragging it in and out, making me believe the transmission was full.

Last edited:

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Thank you Wandrerer. I am following your build with quite interest as well.

I didn't like the 860s. I went with the 880s which, it is my understanding, is what MG used on the design of his kit. I have the 5.4 engine and it is a little bit stiff. I had the 880 on my old E150 with the same engine. Sometime I wonder if those may work better for me. even though I have bottom them already...:confused:
On the 7.3 you may want to get the 880s
From some document I found from Moog these are load and height of the springs.
CC880 Load: 1850.00 install H 13.00 Free H16.00
CC880S 3006.00 12.00 16.60

If you are referring to the issue I had after rebuilding the transmission, it turned out to be low level of fluid :squint: As the tube for the dipstick was still wet from filling the transmission, the dipstick was being covered as I was dragging it in and out, making me believe the transmission was full.

If I read that correctly the 880S have 1200 lb more per spring? or as a set?

what was your final decision on the rear springs...Ive got my interior build almost done and once I load gear (and not the 5 kids) my rear springs are getting kinda flat...I did airbags on my Ram 1500 and liked them but I would hate to be out and have a bag fail (not a rip but an air line popping off would be *EXCITING*...and I wanted to get my inside build done so I knew what my spring load would be...

Im hoping to be back working next week..so look for more purchases and final progress on the top...honestly the pop top has been SO MUCH easier than I ever would have guessed when I first thought about it back in 2009...some tricky britt had ONE video showing an interesting Idea of lower frame already welded to drop in...so I modified the idea to fit the larger vans and its so SLICK I can see me doing more of them with fellow vanners...its such an easy way to get it done and your roof cuts can be hacked and never seen!!

top frame was $160...roof tin was $100..unistrut for roof rack was $40...I think my fabric/screen shock cord (pulls fabric in as top closes) and velcro is going to run another $120..
im going gas shocks at $100 for 4 and the mounts (like my helper arms on the flip-back)...with paint and misc I would say just under $600 for a penthouse..

Raul

Adventurer
I think the rate is per spring, but not sure.

On the rear I got the springs from SD Truck Springs. I call them and they did a custom set with the highest raise they could get. Once I did the front, I ended having to use a 2" block. If I were to do it again I'll get the springs from U-joint so I do not have to have a block. I'll not use air bags, special the ones that install between the frame and the axle as they limit the effective travel.

Your pop top is inspiring. I like the low profile. I am not sure if I ever going to mess with the roof, but today I'll be leaning more towards a fix hi-top. Even toying with the idea of cutting the top 20" of a Savanna (I think they are narrower) and weld it.

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
Atlas Spring in Southern California is who U-Joint uses and they have a 2 month lead time. Load up your van with EVERYTHING first, including minions and gas tank then get it either at a public scale. Did that for my bus and VERY happy with the ride after the U-Joint conversion. Feels better than factory and I have yet to put the rear bags or sway bar on.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I think the rate is per spring, but not sure.

On the rear I got the springs from SD Truck Springs. I call them and they did a custom set with the highest raise they could get. Once I did the front, I ended having to use a 2" block. If I were to do it again I'll get the springs from U-joint so I do not have to have a block. I'll not use air bags, special the ones that install between the frame and the axle as they limit the effective travel.

Your pop top is inspiring. I like the low profile. I am not sure if I ever going to mess with the roof, but today I'll be leaning more towards a fix hi-top. Even toying with the idea of cutting the top 20" of a Savanna (I think they are narrower) and weld it.

Ive even thought about that!! simplicity!! I liked being able to stand in the flip-back I built...I wanted to still be able to garage her at a parking garage and keep a lower profile as we are exploring backroads and mild trails...I VERY MUCH like the GTRV design but they didnt do many that was a full lift..only a tilt top like the westy tops..low...sleek...stealthy...

I do wanna stay away from blocks..just due to wheel hop and my girls weight..driveline shock is horrendously damaging to vehicles..I will check them out!!

Atlas Spring in Southern California is who U-Joint uses and they have a 2 month lead time. Load up your van with EVERYTHING first, including minions and gas tank then get it either at a public scale. Did that for my bus and VERY happy with the ride after the U-Joint conversion. Feels better than factory and I have yet to put the rear bags or sway bar on.

they probably have them dialed in perfect then!! My whole build has been trying to NOT reinvent the wheel...save myself aggervation and time!! so we can spend it camping!!!

I do not see a lot of offerings around here with those ratios on the front. Keep in mind that I'll still do a lot of hwy

I went to 4.30 gears and really like it. Here's the r's at 70mph comparison. I have the 4spd tranny also.

245/75 R16 30" @ 70mph 2080rpm 3.73 ***Stock tires and gearing***
285/75 R16 32.5" @ 70mph 1940rpm 3.73
285/75 R16 32.5" @ 70mph 2270rpm 4.30

Raul

Adventurer
Added a trailer hitch. My first idea was to build a rear bumper with swing out bicycle carrier, outdoor kitchen box and maybe tire carrier that would incorporate the hitch receiver. This way it will not reduce the, already bad, departure angle.

Unfortunately life is what happens when you are planning for it. For the time being I am compromising with a regular carrier. At least i was able to find one that has the carrier in the tube and doesn't hang below it. Since I was using the frame holes for the back-up lights, I had to make brackets for them.

IMG_2594.jpg

IMG_2598.jpg
Now I have a step to climb to the back. I'll cut one of the front horns that hold the spare tire to make it fit.

IMG_2603.jpg

The recent inquiries about springs got me thinking about my setup. I liked the ride on my previous van (E150 5.4 with cc880) Since this van has the same engine and the lift itself is build into the MG coil brackets, I am considering to give the cc880 a try. Anyone out there with this set up in a coil conversion?

Raul

Adventurer
I got the Moog CC880 this evening and in two hours I was able to change them. I did a couple of turn around the block, hit the highway, including the overpass turnaround and did a run on a unpaved service road full of potholes. I love them. The van now rides smooth but doesn't feel like a boat. I like a stiff suspension, my DD is a BMW M3, but the CC880s were too much for the gas engine.

The installed springs were 14.75" and now is a little bit over 13.75". They should set a little bit. I am a little bit concerned with the shock absorbers stroke (i'll post pictures over the weekend) as they seem to be quite compressed. I may put a 1/2" spacer down the road under the spring, but I like the new stance. I know it is only 1", but now looks a lot more balance.

IMG_2626.jpg
Moog CC880s and CC880
IMG_2633e.jpg
IMG_2637e.jpg
IMG_2638e.jpg
IMG_2639e.jpgIMG_2626.jpgIMG_2633e.jpgIMG_2637e.jpgIMG_2638e.jpgIMG_2639e.jpg

Last edited:

Raul

Adventurer
Not a lot of progress, but just a few projects to celebrate
IMG_2739.jpg
Found this at Target for $5. Hoping to be able to remove the clip and bolt it.

IMG_2741.jpg

It was possible. Open up the hole to fit a larger screw sinking the head
IMG_2744.jpg
Bolted just the ball to the corner of the removable tray.

IMG_2679.jpg
Black plastic cutting board.

IMG_2754.jpg

Rear step. Original handle fits over the receiver reinforcement.

Last edited:

Raul

Adventurer
Another update. Trying to finish the sleeping platform area. I am 5' 7" and wife and daughters are shorter so we should be able to sleep sideways with our feet under the overhead.
IMG_2803.JPG

The feet area almost finish. Pending final paneling, lights and 12v charging sockets.

IMG_2807.JPG

Completing the platform there is a fold-able picnic tableIMG_2808.JPG
This will be the "header" of the bed. It will not have a full overhead cabinet. Probably a 1' section matching the other side by the door to cope with the weird corner of the van and to put small stuff by bed time. The curvature of the wall and how to mate the wall and headliner are the main challenge at this point.IMG_2812.JPG

MikeWeaver

Absolutely awesome looking van. I was always a fan of the E-series. Good luck with the project!
I know the tastes are different, but what do you think about painting the rims black?

Raul

Adventurer
Thanks
Absolutely awesome looking van. I was always a fan of the E-series. Good luck with the project!
I know the tastes are different, but what do you think about painting the rims black?
Thanks Mike.
I do not like blink at all, but I am fine with the polished aluminum on these wheels. At some point I may change wheels and tires, 35” more agressive (Cooper AT3) with little offset rims. Then I’ll go with something darker.
I am finding interesting deals on Craigslist, but they are 20” rims and I am not sure I want that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles