The Rig Runner ...a 2010 E350 5.4 DIY Coil Conversion

Raul

Adventurer
I just started a new project. The goal is a 4x4, 4" lift, 275/70/18 tires and a mild camper conversion that allow going from 4 people camping to 10 people passenger, to cargo without much complications and still be able to park on my driveway without irritating the HOA.

I've started to hunt for a front axle and transfer case. I have emailed Chris for all the parts I can get from him, waiting for his reply.

For 12 years our family has enjoyed the Monster Truck in our ski trips, road trips, Home Depot runs. It is a 2000 E150 5.4. Over the years I've added LSD, Upgraded springs that provide about 2" lift, Bilstein Shock and 265/70/17 Cooper AT3 tires. Inside has a mild camper conversion with sleeping platform in the back, fridge, Microwave that can run out of the running alternator, outdoor shower, mosquito screens. I never really "needed" 4x4. We live north of Houston and we do just fine when in Colorado or NM for ski trips but... I want a 4x4 so I can push a little bit further or not worry about the road conditions.
DSC_85693ed.jpg
IMG_7732.jpg

This led to the new addition to the family, The Rig Runer. It is a 2010 E350 XLT with 200,000 miles :Wow1: It started its life as a crew van servicing the oil rigs in South Texas. The con, the interior is pretty trashed, and the miles. The good, it was fleet maintained and was run with a black box monitoring the driving.

IMG_9302.jpg
I do like the bumper even though I've never been fan of big pedestrian killer bumpers. Paint is pretty bad. I am thinking a full body Monstaliner treatment.
IMG_9333.JPG
IMG_9339.jpg
No carpet. Bed liner on the floor. Good
IMG_9341.jpg
South Texas dust packed on the passenger entry step. The every corner of the van is covered in dust. I am considering taking the dash out and blow everything.
IMG_9309.jpg
This is the differential. It looks that I have an open 3.73. I guess I need to start shopping for an LSD carrrier

As I search for parts, I am having some questions:

1.- Front Axle: I want a coil conversion so I will need a 2004+ front axle. 2012 will give me bigger brakes that I think I can do without but what is the minimum I need to retain the RSC functionality.
2.- Transmission. I am pretty sure I have a 4R75something (4 speed). It seems that sourcing a 4x4 transmission may save me some time but, how hard is it to make a 5r110 work on this van?

Last edited:

Jsweezy

Explorer
I have the answer to your first question but the second is sort of a mystery to the van community. I am sure someone will figure it out eventually.

You will need a 2005+ F250/F350 Front axle, all of the 2005+ front axles have RSC already so you won't need to worry about that. 2013+ have the bigger brakes, you may not NEED the bigger brakes necessarily but I feel like brakes is something you should always have more of than less.

Ranchero

Wanderer
Raul - pulling and converting the 4r75 wasn't really a big deal - one weekend - but if you can find a low-mile 4x4 version that would be ideal. Mine only had 42k miles on it and it shifted perfectly, so I wanted to stick with one I knew was good. Total rebuild parts on mine was about $800. I'm guessing that is a lot easier than making a 5r110 work. I have to agree with Josh on the big brakes. Especially if you drive fast to get out of Texas into paradise like you mentioned when you stopped by - those big brakes on the 2013+ D60s are fabulous!

Raul

Adventurer
I have the answer to your first question but the second is sort of a mystery to the van community. I am sure someone will figure it out eventually.

You will need a 2005+ F250/F350 Front axle, all of the 2005+ front axles have RSC already so you won't need to worry about that. 2013+ have the bigger brakes, you may not NEED the bigger brakes necessarily but I feel like brakes is something you should always have more of than less.

Thanks Jsweezy. I am a big fan of the Tan Hot Dog. I've done some online research and it seems that the 5r110 is not a big improvement over the 4r75. I was asking because I found one 5r110 with transfer for a good price.

I totally agree with brakes. I'll upgrade brakes and chasis before I mess with HP. Availability and price difference may steer me to 2005+ options. With good pads they should work fine, but I know I'll always wish I had the big ones.

Raul

Adventurer
Raul - pulling and converting the 4r75 wasn't really a big deal - one weekend - but if you can find a low-mile 4x4 version that would be ideal. Mine only had 42k miles on it and it shifted perfectly, so I wanted to stick with one I knew was good. Total rebuild parts on mine was about $800. I'm guessing that is a lot easier than making a 5r110 work. I have to agree with Josh on the big brakes. Especially if you drive fast to get out of Texas into paradise like you mentioned when you stopped by - those big brakes on the 2013+ D60s are fabulous!

Since my unit has already 200,000 miles, even though it its running great, I think I can get a 4x4 for cost of the rebuild parts. I was getting a 5R110 with transfer for that price (too bad the computer issue).

You are in part guilty of this madness. After I had the pleasure to check your rig this Christmas I've been pestering my wife about how much we NEED a 4x4 van.

Last edited:

Jsweezy

Explorer
Thanks for the compliment on the Hot Dog!

Here are the gear ratios from 1st to 4th (5th on the 5r110) -

4r75e - 2.84, 1.55, 1.00, 0.70

5r110 - 3.11, 2.11, 1.55, 1.00, 0.71

So as you can see the only real difference between the two is the extra gear (obviously right?) but the 4r75 kind of makes up for that by splitting between the 1st and 2nd gear of the 5r110. So if your planning on towing heavy or going up a lot of hills than I could see you wanting to make that swap but if not then I wouldn't worry about it. You just need to decide if you want to go with the stock 4.10s and change the rear or stick with the stock 3.73s just to save yourself the headache of regearing. Id probably go with the 4.10s, especially if your gonna run 33" tires as that seems to be the best gearing for that tire size. If your gonna go bigger I would look at the newer axles with the 4.30s already in them.

Besides that video Ranchero posted on his build thread about how to rebuild the 4r75 is sweet, and I would definitely want to rebuild mine just so I could say I did it!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
The 5R110 is a much better unit but I don't think you can make the swap. Not worth the potential issues with the electronics, etc.

Answered the email yesterday and gave my 2 cents.

ohsix

I'm in west Texas and will be converting my 2012 Quigley 4x4 to the MG/UJOR 4x4 in a couple of weeks. Already have the 2013+ axle and MG/UJOR parts ready to go. I'll be pulling the following off my van if you're interested:

2012 Quigley front axle with 4.10 (4.11?) gears
Quigley radius arm mounts
Quigley radius arms
Agile RIP coils and Fox shocks
Fox steering stabilizer
Rear Quigley leaf springs
Rear Agile RIP Fox shocks
The front axle will come with brake calipers, rotors, tie rod, and drag link. I will probably keep the sway bar as my donor axle doesn't have one. My van has 37,XXX miles on it and has spent its life between west Texas and Baja. Mostly west Texas. I wasn't planning on making a classified add until I had the parts off the van.
I'll also be selling 6 method wheels with newish (less than 1,000 miles) BFG AT tires. The wheels are Method Split Six, 17"x8.5", 0mm offset, 8x170 bolt pattern, stain black finish. I can't remember the tire size off the top of my head, but I can check.
Here's a picture of the spare which is the best picture I currently have of the wheels.

IMG_0823.jpg

Here's a picture from the side:
IMG_0832.jpg

Last edited:

Navi

Adventurer
I'm in west Texas and will be pulling coverting my 2012 Quigley 4x4 to the MG/UJOR 4x4 in a couple of weeks. Already have the 2013+ axle and MG/UJOR parts ready to go. I'll be pulling the following off my van if you're interested:

Where in West Texas are you? I'm in Odessa/Midland

Jsweezy

Explorer
If you absolutely positively wanted the 5.4 with the 5r110 and dont want to put a lot of thought into it, You could always find a 10' box truck with that combo (and it already has the 40 gallon aft axle tank) and swap the chassis with your vans. It would be a lot of work moving everything over but it would work. Oh and I dont think there is any RSC on those box vans.

Just a crazy idea I had with no money to actually do it with.

Reactions: WVI

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
If you absolutely positively wanted the 5.4 with the 5r110 and dont want to put a lot of thought into it, You could always find a 10' box truck with that combo (and it already has the 40 gallon aft axle tank) and swap the chassis with your vans. It would be a lot of work moving everything over but it would work. Oh and I dont think there is any RSC on those box vans.

Just a crazy idea I had with no money to actually do it with.

The cutaway chassis frame is different in the rear so thats not a simple swap. Many many things to consider and scratch the ol head on with a swap like that.

Ranchero

Wanderer
To Josh's point about gear ratios. I did find 4.30s. My first set of tires are winter tires (275/70/18 - tallest snows I could find in 18s) and they are 33's. For a car that does a lot of highway miles, I think that ratio is a bit low (high). I would go with 4.10s if I were going to stick with 33s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles