Across the country in a vintage van

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Keep your spirits up, you are showing all of us cubical critters that a bad day on the road is better than a good day at work.

Wow. This is so down to earth. Loving this. You guys should keep on living this life. And may any disappointment be a true blessing in disguise. Such great memories and experiences.

Keep on living... and loving life...

Stay safe.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
This is an awesome adventure! Funny how the road makes life simple. Car troubles, where to camp, what just went bump in the night. I miss those compared to- Blocked plumbing, property tax, ... You know "stick & brick" people problems.
Keep on keeping on

Gs WK2

I keep waiting for the update on "figured out the alternator problem". Something is clearly amiss with the bracket design for the bolt to keep shearing or the bracket to keep failing. You had mentioned that the same bracket lasted years (?) and now it breaks every other day. The root cause of the failure is clearly not being identified. Could a worn engine mount or something cause a large force to push on the alternator or bracket? I love your adventure but feel your pain on the constant breakdowns.

Ngneer

Observer
Those things just were never intended to have V8s. I've had three; two 68s and a 69. One of the 68s with a 'vette 327 in it. With the straight 6, they are perfect. But with a V8...

Yikes! The hotness!

With a little judicious bending here and there, the belly pan can be made to scoop a lot more air and divert it up toward the radiator. It does help.

But then...so does driving with the hood open...

Also, when dumping the clutch to show off that V8 speediness, the most likely thing to go wrong, is that the input shaft on the pinion gear will snap and the driveshaft will first hit the ground before coming to rest sticking up through the brand new hole in the floor.

Don't ask how I know that.

Seems like your shakedown cruise is going well. Should have the bugs worked out about the time you get home. :D

vpa2024.jpg
Hell yeah, man, beautifully put, well said I mean I'm rolling loveing it. Great write-up man. The days when u had to do it xactly like u. Wish I still had one like it. Happy Travels

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles