Small Crack in Thule Top Box Fix?

pirategonzo

Hello everyone,

Wondering if anyone has any input on fixing a very small crack near the hinge of my Thule Top Box? I am considering just running a bead of super glue down it and hoping it holds. I don't know if I need to do more than that or not. I have read about drilling the ends of the crack to stop it and also using epoxy but I don't know if that is for more serious damage or not.

Thanks for any input!
2017-01-22 10.15.34.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Sorry to say, but that crack is probably evidence of a much larger fracture.

To do it right you will most likely have to disassemble the thing, grind and re-glass the fracture from inside and outside, as well as reinforce the joint further to avoid the same failure later on.

02rangeredge

Adventurer
I'm not sure how it works with fiberglass- I learned from the plastic kayak repair world- you may have to drill a very small hole at the ends of the cracks to stop the spread and then repair

Again I'm not sure this carries into fiberglass just plastic, but It made a world of difference in boat repair

pirategonzo

We have used something called fiberflex on similar repairs at work with great luck. It's a tape that when wet hardens. After it hardens you need a grinder to get it off. They have it in white and black. Here is a link I just snagged off the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool, I'll look into it, thanks for the link.

Sorry to say, but that crack is probably evidence of a much larger fracture.

To do it right you will most likely have to disassemble the thing, grind and re-glass the fracture from inside and outside, as well as reinforce the joint further to avoid the same failure later on.

The crack goes through, starts and stops at the same spot inside and out, but I can't say for sure if it is worse than it looks. It seems the top is more ABS plastic than fiberglass, the crack is clean, no fiber in it at all.

I'm not sure how it works with fiberglass- I learned from the plastic kayak repair world- you may have to drill a very small hole at the ends of the cracks to stop the spread and then repair

Again I'm not sure this carries into fiberglass just plastic, but It made a world of difference in boat repair

I think this is what I am going to try, drill small holes, get some fiber tape, and epoxy over it on the inside and out. Throw a sticker over the top of the repair and call it a day.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
In order to fix this properly you need to remove the mount and drill a small hole at the end of each crack. Next create a small gap in all cracks using a box cutter, dremel or tool of choice. Sand entire area on both sides with 80 grit until there is no gloss on the surface. Then apply the devcon plastic welder white on both sides. This product cures in 20 min then you can sand it down and paint it to match with plastic paint. It should never be a problem again.

I have been using this product for about 12 years to fix all kinds of royalex and acrylic based plastic. It is awesome and is made fot structural loads ike your box.
http://www.industrial-toolcrib.com/Devcon-DA291-Plastic-Welder-White_p_211.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAt9vEBRDQmPSow-q5gs8BEiQAaWSEDtc7zI0-FX_rhYF0fKMvUKlbg5H5mGhKtThFkIj-hAgaAmEF8P8HAQ

D

Deleted member 96197

Some great recommendations already listed, I know it sounds like a lot of work, but doing it right will save you a lot more work later. Superglue wont do anything at all.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I used a soldering iron and stitch welded the abs from the inside. Then I heated up a puddy knife glowing red and smoothed it out. It's been solid for over a year now.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'd use some superglue from the outside as a penetrating sealant and build up the inside with either an epoxy or properly fiberglassing it, to reinforce that attachment location and all the rest like it while I was at it.

rayra

Expedition Leader
plastic model builders also have a thicker cyanoacrylate (krazy glue) that is gap-filling. Product's called 'Zap-A-Gap'. But I think the thinner normal stuff would be better, in splintering fiberglass.

fj40_nut

I repaired mine with PVC pipe glue five years ago and it's still holding strong. Just use the cleaner and then use the glue. I had clear cleaner and glue too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online