Backup Parts and Gear to Carry on Expedition

outdoorjunky

I'm just getting to building my first real expedition rig... I've been exploring for years but never had a proper rig to really do it right and have put my daily drivers in jeopardy more than once. Now that I'm partaking on this journey to build a dedicated expedition rig I'm curious to hear what tools and or essential parts you all bring with you when on the trail? Do you bring spare belts, hoses, coolant, oil and things like that? Also with a light assortment of essential tools like ratchets and wrenches?

I'm interested to hear how you guys travel.

Cheers!

LR Max

Local Oaf
Its best to do research on what commonly breaks on your particular vehicle. For my old rover, I carry spare ignition parts. Fuel pump rebuild kit, various nuts and bolts, and standard wrenches and sockets.

For my Toyota 4Runner, really, the steering is my main concern. So I carry extra TREs and those little things that and the little drag link thingies. I carry metric tools for that vehicle.

That said, on the Toyota, I rebuilt the wheel bearings, brakes, checked the drive shafts/greased them. Serviced the axles. Changed the belts, full tune up, new fuel pump. All of that is easier to do in the garage vs. the trail and for a high mileage vehicle, it probably needed it anyway.

So really, look at taking care of the basics early in the driveway. That'll prevent issues beforehand. Don't ignore problems (what is that noise? What is that vibration?) and see what is common to breaking on your particular vehicle.

mobob

As LR Max Said, It's vehicle specific and to some degree, specific to the area of exploration and the size of the group.

When I am exploring in Colorado on a trail that is 100 miles from anywhere, I carry more fluids, and parts than I would if there is an Autozone 5 miles from the local trail that has cell coverage. For my Raptor, I always carry spare IWE's, fluids, filters, belts, power steering pump, fuses and electrical repair needs, basically the most common items to fail that I can fix myself on the trail. On a long out of the way adventure, I would also carry a second spare, spare tie rods and upper control arms (because I have them and they are cast), hoping to never need them.

I carry all of the tools that fit and/or have touched my truck on maintenance or repairs. I also carry other common tools for the group, within reason. I carry a 3 ton floor jack, one of the other trucks carries Jack Stands and a third may carry Axes, Chainsaws, etc to minimize the weight and overlap. The best tool is knowing how to be resourceful with what you have available. It's amazing how many people have the tool or part needed to get them off the trail, but no idea what to do with it.

outdoorjunky

I'm searching high and low for a 99 4runner ... so far my plans straight out of the gate are going to be all mechanical maintenance. New Timing Belt and pulley kit (includes waterpump). Might as well do the thermostat or at least check it too. Hoses, belts, lower ball joints, Tundra caliper mod, check the CV boots, replace all fluids including trans case and differentials, and do a the radiator for good measure. After that I'll do the suspension.

What aspect of the steering is the weak link on the 4runner? I'm looking at Gen3 I know about the ball joint recall and that not everyone took theirs in and I also have a friend that was driving our other friends gen3 4runner and he lost a front wheel and was very lucky not to roll the truck, so I'm not taking that issue lightly. Are there other points of failure I am not aware of?

Thanks for the tips guys it make a lot of sense to know the common issues and then pay close attention to those parts before leaving and plan for the worst as well.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Beyond spares... Fluids and general purpose items you can jury rig a solution out of.

Imagine if a branch jumped up and tore a brake line. You were smart and brought spare brake line but before you noticed the brakes were gone you pumped all your fluid onto the trail. Same goes from oil leaks etc. Coolant you can usually use your precious drinking water but now you risk dehydration.
And I've seen people do amazing things with clever use of mechanics wire; a guy in Iraq even made a sparkplug cable with mechanics wire (had to be sure the bare metal didn't ground on anything).

I made an Emergency offroad kit that builds on my everyday automotive emergency kit of odd jury-rig components that all can all be jury-rigged into ugly solutions that are borderline but they get you out of the bush and into a place where a tow truck can get you:
Duct Tape
Electrical Tape
Power Bond Tape
WD-40
Valve Stem Cores
Instant Gas Tank Repair
Instant Radiator Repair
Alumaseal
Contact Cement
JBWeld Stick
RTV Blue Gasket Maker
Match Solder
5min Epoxy
Mechanics Wire
4x4ft Sheet Heavy Duty Tin Foil
15ft Parachute Cord
Hose Repair Kit
Mini Pocket Knife
4 Spare Lugnuts

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I carry the above plus the following:
Tool kit, multimeter
replacements for belts, filters and hoses with fluids, U-joints tire, plug kit
radiator stop leak , bailing wire, a bunch of hose clamps, fuses .electrical wire , connectors , jumper cables , alternator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles