TUNDOKA Another Gen1 Tundra "build"

Series1Rangie

Adventurer
Yes the space was a big part of the draw for us. We plan to have our toddler sleep in a crib in the truck bed.

One of the jobs i had to do was add a marker/brake light to the flip-pac to pass Utah inspection. I could have removed the flip-pac, and passed but a 3rd light seemed like a good idea. I didn't like the offerings I was finding for tapping into the factory harness. There is a nice T harness for the earlier T100, but not for my truck. I decided to make a Weatherproof removable splice.

09684bdf5d1d7bca898d04a9e694ec1f.jpg

8341e88ab8c707bb7e12e3136b02fd7f.jpg

4f5ff47934aedd0c79de7b4462377bbe.jpg

I ran the pig tail behind the taillight and out the hole in the bedside. I terminated it with deutsch connectors in case I need to remove the flip-pac.

I wanted to leave the flip-pac sticker in place, but do to the channel above the lift gate, I had to move it up. I drilled the hole. Still need to run the last piece of wire, but this is the test fitting.

05a206b0092e1dc926007033c7c10546.jpg

dfb3da7228fe9d9402fd2b8e407b2adc.jpg

Extended the wires off of the back of the light. Ran 16 gauge cause I had it.

8e9b02ecb457766251d87b559e8514cc.jpg

Cheers,

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Series1Rangie

Adventurer
Nice wiring work. Love the connectors used.

Thanks. As I get older I really only want to do things once.

First time using a Deutsch connector, went together pretty well once I figured out that the male housing used the female terminals and vice versa.

I got the compression terminals as I figured they would provide a better termination. I have had no luck in the past with the crimp style pins. Plus I got to buy a new tool, which is always fun.

Mike

Series1Rangie

Adventurer
Inspection Passed!

Passed inspection yesterday. Yay. Most Toyota people probably don't get this feeling of relief, but my last Toyota was a 1970/71/74 FJ40 and my other truck is an 81 Range Rover, so passing safety and emissions first time is still way new to me. :D

Have a couple baseline maint things left to do. I need to replace my steering rack. Does anybody sell one with more throw? I am looking to push the tires out a little with different wheels, and would like to take advantage of the potential for a decreased turning radius. (This thing is BIG).

I am researching and looking but suggestions are always appreciated.

Mike

Series1Rangie

Adventurer
Very little work on the truck recently, but I did replace the screens in the topper. No progress pictures, but it's just like the screen on the door of the house. Layout the screen and push in the plastic rope.

b82e8cfebda7248efe5c0351fe11343c.jpg

On a more fun note, some family is in town, and we made it out of town for a quick trip.

e581a08811d52c0d729adcf09ba3ba83.jpg

Cheers,

IMG_2465.jpg

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9.....same All Terrain Camper. The Dodge is a great truck but I prefer the size and feel of the Tundra. If I could do it again, I would have kept the Tundra.

Last edited:

Series1Rangie

Adventurer
@Loubaru Be patient. The trucks are out there.

So finally had time and weather in my side. Went to a friends house with a strategically placed carport to swap the broken torsion bar for the new sway-a-way bar. I followed all the advice and threads and the only thing I did that was different was to use a two arm puller to get the stubborn rusty broken ends out. Worked very well and made me feel better than the hammering I was doing prior. Used a portable battery impact gun to run the puller. Amazing. Very few pictures as the weather turned and the wind picked up. Here is the bar started on the driver side.

c6e7df260a9d08d576ebfd16b9e08ad2.jpg

To help the next person out, I had to prop the top open about 5*to give the puller room to set up.

This is soooo much better than the delete method of opening and closing. Really glad I took the time to install the new bar.

Mike

The Toyota steel wheels were 6 lug 16 hole 16" X 7.5" with 15mm offset. These wheels came off an '03 or '04 Tacoma. I was running Cooper AT3's size 235/85/16 if I remember correctly....???

Attachments

• IMG_2650.jpg
    IMG_2650.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
The Toyota steel wheels were 6 lug 16 hole 16" X 7.5" with 15mm offset. These wheels came off an '03 or '04 Tacoma. I was running Cooper AT3's size 235/85/16 if I remember correctly....???

Thanks. Rare to see tundras with steel lol. Aftermarket ones usually don't fit and unsure which Toyota ones do lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles