British Columbia to Baja; Winter Solstice in the Desert

Arctic Travelller

Adventurer
Epic trip report with great photos. Your route through Baja is one I have done many times, Calamajue road is a favorite, we have camped on top of the travertine deposits to watch the Baja 1000, but I never knew what it was composed of, thanks. It's been a year since I've been there, so I really need to get back, thanks for inspiring me. Do you live in BC?

rfoubi

Observer
Epic trip report with great photos. Your route through Baja is one I have done many times, Calamajue road is a favorite, we have camped on top of the travertine deposits to watch the Baja 1000, but I never knew what it was composed of, thanks. It's been a year since I've been there, so I really need to get back, thanks for inspiring me. Do you live in BC?

Cool. Yeah I would love to go back and watch the race go through that area. And yeah, we live in Rossland BC.

rfoubi

Observer
Part 9: Sedona, Grand Canyon, and back to Canada

I dropped the fam off at the airport, sad to be nearing the end of a great trip. I still had 2500km to travel north though, so I took off out of phoenix and headed straight for Sedona. I wanted to get one last mountain bike ride in before I headed back to snowy Rossland. I made it into town after some big thunderstorms and although the trails were a bit slick, it made for some dramatic clouds.

I did a quick lap on a trail called the hangover, which is a pretty sweet, exposed sidehill that follows a resistant band of red rock around a spectacular butte.

trail art

I was able to set up a token self portrait using a timer and a creative tripod.

I would love to come back again and take get some more photos/video. Its sure a spectacular trail, these shots don’t really do it justice.

I will defininitely be back to this area sometime, seems likes tons of cool places to explore. However I was keen to make it to the Grand Canyon to camp for the night, so I continued up oak creek canyon, a cool twisty paved road.

Started to see snow pretty quickly on the higher elevations around flagstaff.

It was a scenic drive north but I was racing the sunset and didn’t have time to stop for any photos. I just hoped for the best hand holding my camera while driving.

The sun set as I sped north on quiet straight roads toward marble canyon, where I gassed up and checked the backroads book to find a place I could hopefully make it to the North Rim of the canyon to camp. The true North Rim was high elevation and closed due to snow, but I did find a short several km spur road leading to the shallower, but still spectacular upper reaches of the Grand Canyon south of Marble Canyon.

It was a bit eerie bumping across a mostly flat, short-grass prarie towards an invisible rim of a giant canyon that dropped off the inky blackness. I pulled to a stop on what I thought was the edge, made sure to leave it in gear, put on the e-brake, and even chock the wheels even though it felt dead flat. Don’t need to roll the van into the canyon!

Not a bad view to wake up to!

Not the deepest part of the canyon, but still plenty deep enough for a good dangle

Pretty sure this is an artifact/arrowhead. Definitely came from somewhere else. I took a photo and carefully placed it back on the ground where I found it. It added to the sacred feeling that I was already feeling being in this special place.

I can’t wait to get back to this campsite and spend more time exploring the area.

rfoubi

Observer

I hit the pavement again and headed west towards Jacob Lake. As the road climbed up, the views got pretty good. I couldn’t have asked for better weather, and everywhere I passed I wanted to stop, explore, and camp. It really got me stoked for another trip for another year.

I had to stop and take a snow shot since It’d been a month since I had seen it.

rfoubi

Observer
I headed northwest along 89A through Fredonia and Kanab, where I grabbed some food and gas, and then took a small detour to the east. Since I wasn’t on such a tight schedule to meet a flight this time, I could take a little more time to explore on my way north. I turned north on Johnson Canyon road, unsure about its condition and whether it would be plowed. The road climbed through beautiful white sandstone canyons and then onto a plateau. There were a few slick muddy sections where I debated turning back, but it never got worse so I pushed onwards.

Typical wide open scrubland views on the Johnson Canyon/Glendale bench road.

Token food shot to meet the required “expedition” content! I had been so focuses on the driving that I hadn’t eaten since breakfast, and it was time for a quick picnic. I found a cool waterfall as well.

The snow got deeper as the road climbed up, but it clearly hadn’t snowed in a while and the road was well plowed. I dropped down off of Glendale bench and back down to the pavement again. My goal for the day was to get into central Utah, and I wanted to take a route I hadn’t been on before, so I decided to cut across to Cedar City and take some new roads from there.

I did not regret that decision, as the pass on highway 14 was spectacular, with epic views of the Cedar Breaks formations. The fresh snow and red rocks looked amazing. As would be the theme for the rest of the trip heading north, I really wished I had skis with me.

In Cedar City, I left the snow behind, and pointed it north through wide open desert on route 130. I had driven I15 too many times, and plus its no fun trying to pin it at 80mph in the van to keep up with traffic.

The desert flew by on straight, sunny, deserted roads, making for super enjoyable driving.

Solar/wind farm

Long straight roads meant I got bored and started messing around with photos. I hit the small town of Delta, UT just as the sun was going down. From here I followed some dirt roads to Baker Hot Springs. I didn’t get any photos, but it’s a cool hole-in-the wall style hot springs with a few concrete tubs with adjustable water flow. Not a bad way to unwind after the drive. I was going to camp near the springs, but it was still only 7pm so I decided to continue. Kim and I had driven to Baker Hot springs from the north over 40km of dirt roads many years back, so I decided to take the same route in reverse. The roads were a mix of slick mud, frozen mud, and ice. Nothing particularily sketchy, but no exactly the fast hardpacked gravel I remembered. I planned on camping at Little Sahara recreation area, which is a cool set of sand dunes.

Dark and cold!

So, since I had been on mud and dirt, I still had the mud terrains on. I pulled into the snowy area around Little Sahara to find a place to camp. The snow was actually super crusty, icy, sugary garbage and I got stuck in a hard packed drift 10m off the road.

Regretting the lack of snow tires at this point. Although the mud tires do well in untracked snow, they suck on ice!

Anyway it wasn’t bad, I pulled out the shovel, spent 10 mins, and I was free.

I decided to cut my losses and just camp on the shoulder of the road since I was in the middle of nowhere. Quick dinner, hook up the propane tank, fire up the propex, and enjoy a bit of heat before climbing into bed.

frozen crud

The next day dawned cold and sunny

When I had to swap the snow tires/rims over, it was pretty cool to see the history of mud caked in the jack points. Grey mud, red mud, brown mud, ice, etc! Took a while to bash it out and get the jack in, but it was good to get the snow tires on for the rest of the drive.

Continuing north towards Tooele UT.

I had to pull over and get a shot of this dramatic smokestack on the outskirts of salt lake.

Frosty grass

From salt lake it was time to hit the interstate, and make time to get home. Pocatello, Butte, Missoula; trucks, billboards, gas stations; coffee, monster, fast food. It was a long haul from salt lake at noon to make it to lookout pass. Around 1200km today.

I camped at the ski hill parking lot at lookout pass. I was worried it would have snowed a foot and I would be waking up with no ski gear in a ski hill parking lot. Not to worry, and the next day slush and freezing rain greeted me. The roads were sketchy, and west of Kellogg I hit a huge backup of traffic. 3 hours later, still gridlock. Damn. So much for a 3 hr drive to home today.

After 3 hrs, the cops came and guided a convoy of cars through the uturn spot to avoid the massive accident ahead. A semi-truck had rear-ended a logging truck that had gone off the road. There was nothing left of the truck cab. Multiple fatalities. ****. Really put it into perspective that of all the remote, backcountry driving in all weather was nothing. By far the most dangerous part of our trip was just hours on the interstate. Sobering. From here it was just rain and slush, more traffic, and then quiet roads for a few hours from Spokane, an uneventful border crossing and I was back home in Rossland.

It was an amazing trip, and we were pleasantly surprised how well it had gone with a baby on board. The vanlife is not over! Already scheming for new adventures in 2017.

Anyway, thanks for joining us on this long and drawn out trip report. I appreciate all the comments, and hope to inspire people, especially with young kids , to just get out there and hit the road. You won’t regret it!

Cheers

Robin, Kim and Orson

jacrider

Great report!

How did the Vanagon perform? No indication of any problems.

Great to get out there with young kids.

rfoubi

Observer
Great report!

How did the Vanagon perform? No indication of any problems.

Great to get out there with young kids.

The Vanagon performed flawlessly. Ironically our 20 years younger Subaru that Kim and Orson used to get to the airport from our house (2hrs) cooked a wheel bearing on the way home and almost needed a tow, but the van drove ~8,000km with no issues.

Great report. Loved reading it and looking at your pictures.

LOL, it is kind of common to see a car have some kind of trouble during such long trips. So, glad to see yours performed flawlessly.

Great family trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles