Death Valley, 3 Days over the New Year

Mgosts

Observer
This is my very delayed post of our three days in DV.

Left SoCal, OC on Friday 12/30.
Towed the trailer with the 4Runner and docked at Furnace Creek Camp Ground. Arrived about 6:30pm.

Backed trailer into camp spot, and, fortunately, before I started disconnecting and level, the wife said "hey, don't we need water?". Well, as always, she was right. Went and filled up and backed TT in...again.

Photo from two days into trip...Obviously not night time.
IMG_2355.jpg

Contacted 12xplore (Lee) and met him at Forty Niner Cafe for dinner. Great guy, amazing job / adventure life he has. We agreed to meet at 8:00am next morning to do Titus Canyon. BTW: Lee has a sweet custom 4x4 van
(sportsmobile-like).

Day 1 met in morning just outside Furnace Creek CG and headed off to Titus.
IMG_2000.jpg

After a short drive, we arrived at Titus entrance.
IMG_2005.jpg

I aired down, then lent my deflators to Lee. First time air down for Lee.
IMG_2025.jpg

Headed off into Canyon. Easy road up through Canyon. Nice views at first crest.
IMG_2099.jpg

Made our way toward Leadfield and stopped at a mine shaft along the way.
IMG_2117.jpgIMG_2119.jpgIMG_2120.jpg

Wife and I stayed at the Four Star hotel in Leadfield. They provided OJ in original rusty cans.
IMG_2122.jpg

Last edited:

Mgosts

Observer
After Leadfield the Canyon begins to narrow and the geography gets much more interesting.
IMG_2204.jpgIMG_2196.jpg

After exiting Titus Canyon we both aired-up and went our separate ways. Lee continued his travels and we headed North toward Ubehebe Crater and Race Track road.
IMG_2215.jpg

Head off to the Race Track. Recent rain left puddles on the road. The wife loves blasting through puddles.
IMG_2243.jpg

BTW, the washboard on this road was UNBELIEVABLE. Shook me to my soul. Broke off my upper mount for my hilift jack and put that inside the truck. The next morning at camp I discovered a shackle on front bumper vibrated off and several bolts in my rear bumper cover plates shook out.

Took the obligatory photos at Tea Kettle Junction.
IMG_2271.jpg

Made it to the Race Track. It was cold, about 37 degrees. We were able to walk out onto the Track after we confirmed that the surface was dry and NO footprints were being left behind. This IS an amazing place. Completely worth 27 miles one-way on the absolute worst washboard I have ever experienced. If I were to go to the Race Track again, I would rent a jeep at farabee's rentals and shake all the bolts loose in their vehicle then give it back to them. My cousin drove this road many months back and said she had smooth sailing. I guess we just hit it at a really bad time. We did see a Prius and a BMW 3 series driving up this road at about 3 mph. Cannot imagine sitting in those cars on that trip.
IMG_2297.jpg

Drove back down that road as the sun set. Made for an interesting trip home. Was erie looking as it was getting dark.
IMG_2346.jpg

Made it back to Ubehebe Crater, aired up and was very grateful to be on smooth dirt road.

This was the end of our long first day, drove back to Furnace Creek and had dinner at the Cafe again. Not too many choices and didn't feel like cooking dinner at the trailer (lazy, yes).

to be continued...

Last edited:

BlairB

Observer
Thanks for sharing! I actually talked to Lee for a bit when we were filling up at Furnace Creek. Very cool looking rig he has.

umpqua

Observer
I was there at the exact same time....don't recall seeing your truck. Spent 5 nights at Saline Hot Springs then on to Eureka Dunes. On the way through Deckadera canyon ran into some guys in a "brand new" 4-runner stuck to the frame. Got them out. Titus canyon was spectacular.

I'm too lazy I guess to post pics but I appreciate yours.

This is a great area and if you haven't visited you should get it on your radar.

echo7tango

Road tripping, overlanding
Mgosts, enjoyed your trip report and pics, thanks. I did Ubehebe to Racetrack long ago in a Honda CR-V. It was very rough then too! But worth the drive, yes.

It was good running into you and the wife, and chatting and catching up. Have a safe drive home.

P.S. - I too love the remote desert night skies. Awesome stars!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94