3 Days in the Smoky Mountians

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
I edited the track, someone else commented that a road was closed. The .gpx file won't upload to GaiaGPS so I cant upload the "official" route until I figure out how to convert it

Sent from my P00A using Tapatalk

andy29847

Adventurer
I was able to get Gaia GPS to accept a KML (Google Earth) file. The first 3 tracks are the breadcrumbs form my GPS that show our actual route. The second 3 are the proposed routes. Good luck.

sm2016%20jeep-XL.jpg

LandOps

Observer
My first trip pic there in 1968

Thanks for sharing. My first trip to the Smokey Mountains around 1968.
Mom at my right. KI6QBM
23498_114264088593125_6282563_n.jpg

e60ral

I was able to get Gaia GPS to accept a KML (Google Earth) file. The first 3 tracks are the breadcrumbs form my GPS that show our actual route. The second 3 are the proposed routes. Good luck.

sm2016%20jeep-XL.jpg
Is that for the Smoky Mountain 500 "official" route?

Sent from my P00A using Tapatalk

andy29847

Adventurer
Is that for the Smoky Mountain 500 "official" route?

No. My wife and I did the Jeep ride in OCT 2016. We couldn't stay at the Ironhorse Lodge (full plus motorcycles only), and I didn't think we would want to do 500 miles in 3 days. I modified the tracks to shorten the ride. The tracks loaded in Gala are the modified tracks (~360 miles).

A Facebook friend of mine has a webpage and route for Jeeping across North Georgia that uses some of the same roads.

http://www.georgiaoverland.com/map.html

e60ral

Yeah that route uploaded no prob: https://www.gaiagps.com/public/pNVY7Xw7M7o7m1OqkAwIprI1

I think my final route will actually end with following the eastern part of the georgia traverse instead of following the loop back around towards murphy, the two routes overlap in the southeast part of the smoky mountain loop.

I'm trying to figure out where to stay and how many days, I think I may do 4 nights. Drive up and spend the night somewhere near the start, cherohala mountain trails CG or something in that area, something between morganton, ga and suches, then something towards the end of the route then driving home the next day.

andy29847

Adventurer
Most of it is graded forest service roads. Whit Rd is interesting because of the crossings. Old Bucktown Rd is rough but not too steep. Charlie's Creek Rd is the most challenging. It starts (west to east) with a long steepish climb, then winds through the woods on some narrow 2 track roads, and finally into the flats with some mud holes and the river crossing. The conditions can change with the weather, but generally any 4wd vehicle could get through. The enjoyment of the trip for me was being away from the crowds for 3 days and being in the woods.

SursOverland

Observer
Most of it is graded forest service roads. Whit Rd is interesting because of the crossings. Old Bucktown Rd is rough but not too steep. Charlie's Creek Rd is the most challenging. It starts (west to east) with a long steepish climb, then winds through the woods on some narrow 2 track roads, and finally into the flats with some mud holes and the river crossing. The conditions can change with the weather, but generally any 4wd vehicle could get through. The enjoyment of the trip for me was being away from the crowds for 3 days and being in the woods.

Thanks for the details. Do you think someone could do it solo?

andy29847

Adventurer
Thanks for the details. Do you think someone could do it solo?

Sure. The only thing is that if you have a problem (snake, bear, flat, dead battery, etc) out in the woods you could be in for a long walk.

i-kWvT97F-XL.jpg

Jsilverado

I've hit a few roads around Boone but want to go further out and explore some more. Been reading up a lot on where others have been. Thanks for the info!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McDowra

Observer
This is near the top of my list to do, just have to figure out when I can! Thanks so much for sharing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94