Dog Transportation - How do you transport your dogs?

Jeepinaaron

Adventurer
How are you guys transporting your dogs on trips? I'm looking for other people's slick ideas.

I am looking for ideas on transporting my K-9 in the rear cargo area of my Jeep Grand Cherokee, along with all of my other gear and fridge. The dog riding in the rear seat is out of the question as I have one child and another one inbound with an ETA of April.

For awhile I was simply putting a large crate in the back but found it took up too much room. I then built a cargo system with a kennel on the driver's side and drawer/fridge on the passenger's side. I still feel I am setting aside too much room for the dog. I am now thinking of building another drawer on the driver's side and having the dog ride on top of the drawers on a flat platform.

High flying Dog

My Dog literally is my Co-Pilot. Although she's not a great map reader...

Attachments

• IMG_0260.JPG
    IMG_0260.JPG
    294.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1103.jpg
    IMG_1103.jpg
    518.8 KB · Views: 78

Count Fred

Observer
They sit on top of my cargo unit. I have a cable bolted to the 3rd row seat belt bolts across the rear of the unit, and the dogs are "seat-belted" in with their harnesses secured to this cable. Allows them to move around some but keeps them in place even when I place the vehicle at an angle.

puppies.jpg

The top edge of the leather seat has suffered some from dog claws when I do this however. ;)

wADVr

Adventurer
I haven't built it yet but I will be building a platform in the rear cargo area of my JKU so that gear can be stored below and the dogs will sit above. I am also looking at making a platform to ceiling storage compartment on the drivers side for over flow items yet still allow area for the dogs to be. We are a family of 4 plus two medium (38-40lbs) dogs. I have also thought about overhead space to store odd/lightweight items like camp chairs.

Jeepinaaron

Adventurer
I haven't built it yet but I will be building a platform in the rear cargo area of my JKU so that gear can be stored below and the dogs will sit above. I am also looking at making a platform to ceiling storage compartment on the drivers side for over flow items yet still allow area for the dogs to be. We are a family of 4 plus two medium (38-40lbs) dogs. I have also thought about overhead space to store odd/lightweight items like camp chairs.

That is what I'm looking to do.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I built the Wundermutt a dedicated dog shelf with storage below. Then I made additional custom shelves to fit the rest of the junk.
Dog came first though. If the dog ain't happy, the wife ain't happy, then I ain't happy...
We've got a JKU and took out the back seats. Your Grand shouldn't be all that hard to build up once you figure out where you want everything.

011_zps224eeb7f.jpg

004_zps60b34282.jpg

002_zpsrtcttpmt.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
Loose and fancy free, the way God intended. he's part of the family pack, not cargo.

doggles01a.jpg
doggles04-050405_zpsws5etqpb.jpg

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I built a platform above the rear cargo area with some metal mesh to block the front. Tons of room for the little 15 and 20 pound dogs.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
How are you guys transporting your dogs on trips? I'm looking for other people's slick ideas.

I am looking for ideas on transporting my K-9 in the rear cargo area of my Jeep Grand Cherokee, along with all of my other gear and fridge. The dog riding in the rear seat is out of the question as I have one child and another one inbound with an ETA of April.

For awhile I was simply putting a large crate in the back but found it took up too much room. I then built a cargo system with a kennel on the driver's side and drawer/fridge on the passenger's side. I still feel I am setting aside too much room for the dog. I am now thinking of building another drawer on the driver's side and having the dog ride on top of the drawers on a flat platform.

Before you think you're setting aside too much room ask yourself a question. "How would I like spending hours or more in this space?"

Hnoroian

Observer
Before you think you're setting aside too much room ask yourself a question. "How would I like spending hours or more in this space?"

Tethered, stand up, turn around, lay down space at a minimum.

Our 60lb GS does fine in the back seat with the car seat in the middle. Years ago the front seat (size wise) of a Sonoma served us well also. Did I miss what type of dog?

Last edited:

doug720

Expedition Leader
Our fur kids riding section in our 60. Sliding windows, window bars and barrier. They are safe, comfortable and love to ride in the 60!

Attachments

• LC2.jpg
    LC2.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 42
  • P1090816.JPG
    P1090816.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC09732 resized.jpg
    DSC09732 resized.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 43

Forum statistics

Threads