Input -Van,Full Size or other

real3175

Observer
Looking for supporting/opposing inputs on my internal struggle for which vehicle I should go with. I follow many similar threads but none with both vehicles I am looking in too - all input is appreciated (other options considered as well).

Vehicle(s) Option 1 - Ford/Chevy E350/Express 3500 RWD

Vehcile Option 2 - Ford 250/350 CCLB 4WD

Background/Usage Summary - My wife and I camp now but in a tent while backpacking, in National/State Forests and at campgrounds, looking to upgrade to vehicle camping either in a van or build a setup under a truck cap. Other than camping/backpacking our other hobbies include hiking, downhill/XC/back country skiing, mountain biking and traveling. We camp in all seasons, 4WD/AWD would be nice because a lot of the places our hobbies lead us to in the winter especially, may require it. But realistically 4WD would only be used a half dozen times if that a year. I thought I settled on an AWD Express but they seem increasingly rarer to find and I don't want to travel too far to purchase one. I opted for the F250/350 because they don't make smaller model trucks with the 8 foot bed (I'm 6'6" and cant sleep comfortably in the regular size truck beds). Both options get equally crummy MPG but I'd prefer one vehicle to cut costs on insurance, it will be my daily driver as well (53 miles round trip daily). Pretty much every possible pro/con argument has been made, but always just in my head. My wife has heard some of it but just says "Whatever you want" (She's awesome) really would like others input, however.

Must Haves:

- Under 25K-30K

- Larger vehicle for more comfortable travel - I cant stand cars, my back is bad enough as it is.

- Option to discreetly camp in vehicle

Input appreciated - Forgive me if there is a similar thread that I somehow overlooked.

danfromsyr

Adventurer
a van gets my vote, and you can get a locking/limited slip rear differential if you can't find a AWD version.

jkilgore11

Adventurer
My wife and I currently have a F250 4x4 with a FWC Hawk. Our hobbies are much the same with a heavy emphasis on mountain biking. The bikes go on every trip.

Upsides to getting a truck:
Can use the bed for hauling, but our camper has not been removed once.
The truck suspension can be a little easier to modify for larger tires.
Higher roof in pop-up camper.
Lower center of gravity when down.
There are probably more, but those were our main objectives.

Downsides:
No walk through so discrete camping is out of the question.
Bikes have to be transported on a bike rack. We just purchased a small enclosed trailer to haul our mountain bikes and gear because we were constantly worried about them on long trips.

Vans are a blank canvas for configuring. I have met couples who have modified their vans to carry all their gear including bikes and still sleep comfortably without putting anything outside. Hope this helps.

real3175

Observer
Appreciate the input so far!

jkilgore11 - Is your F250 used for work/commuter as well?

Another plus to the truck option is that I don't have to start with a truck camper but could always grow into that option later.

jkilgore11

Adventurer
Yes. It is used as a daily driver and for work. The camper is pretty light without gear. We started with a roof top tent mounted to a Thule x-sporter bed rack. If you decided to put a topper on, the RTT would give you more flexibility. We are mounting it on top of the trailer for a couple of extra people to go with us to the Florida Keys. We call it the Mother-in-law suite.

86cj

Explorer
I certainly have been there, we camped out of a hardside camper on a 4x4 dually for decades (still have it), we went back to a Jeep LJ and top quality tent to smell the flora and fauna so to speak, people buy RV's so big they block out the sun. We found amazing back country camping but hardly locked the Jeep in 4x4. Our AWD Van is really a Goldylocks and the three bears story, it will get into some very remote places and still provide most RV amenities. The ability to not get out if you dont want to is priceless, think porta potty in a traffic jam. The day it became obviuos we were doing 700 miles and another 500 the next day, we pulled into a campground late and were in bed in ten minutes. We woke up to pouring rain and were on the road in another ten minutes, never even poked my head out in the rain, the tent people next to us had a slow wet morning. My advice is to keep looking they stopped production in 2014 and they are showing up on lease turn in. A conversion van likely has the AWD and doors on both sides, an AWD cargo van with the Pro Access panel option is very cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Darwin

Explorer
The van would be more comfortable as far as "live in" type of travel vs. sleeping in the back of the truck, Unless of course you went with a camper on the back of the truck, but that would be likely out of your budget.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Have a Lance slide-in and an EB Ford Sportsmobile with a penthouse top. For leisure camping, the van wins. Only reason for the Lance is I need the truck for other uses and the Lance and truck together can be used while towing a 10,000 lb cargo trailer and camping at swap meets, towing a dozer or backhoe and camping at a jobsite, etc. The van is easier to drive, easier to park and store, and easier to use. No need for shoes while camped until you WANT to go outside. Like 86CJ's story about waking up to rain, you just get out of bed and drive in the van or get dressed, put on shoes and get out in the mud then get in the truck and drive. The van is seamless. The van also fits in a parking deck, the Lance does not. All that being said, it is entirely possible to take $10k, spend half on a truck and half on a truck camper and be camping by the weekend with a fridge, stove, bed and bathroom whereas a van is either build-your-own (and wait and work before you can camp) or mega bucks.

86cj

Explorer
As a daily driver? The AWD Van gets at least 15 and 17 easily on the open road in the wind, hills, even at 70 mph, truck and Jeep not even close. It fits in any parking spot and most likely will blend in in any parking lot. Time behind the wheel is painless, just did 1000 miles straight thru and the 20" snow forecast does not even have us stressed.

Last edited:

real3175

Observer
Again, really appreciate the input!

The AWD Express is the ideal and it is what I am drawn too for sure. Perhaps you are right 86cj, leases will be coming up and they may be more available here shortly.

RWD vans are everywhere, but I am very hesitant to not have 4x4 or AWD at my leisure, especially with weather like today.

Photo Feb 12, 2 47 21 PM.jpg

danfromsyr

Adventurer
I'm just down the Mtns and lake from you near Syracuse, and for a Daily & winter use here I wouldn't even consider a 2wd if a AWD van was available. (and they are).

I have an AWD astro it only acknowledges the snow because the wiper arms suck. ie. you can't tip them all the way out, they only lift a few inches to clear snow. I'll be looking at modifying that soon.

real3175

Observer
Decided (finally) on an AWD Chevy or GMC Express/Savanna van - waiting to hear back from my mechanic on my 2005 Outback, which needed some extensive work and not sure if it is worth sinking any more $$ into. If the Subaru can be fixed reasonably, I will go with a higher mileage Chevy I found locally at a good price. If the Subaru is toast, I will up my price and buy a newer/less mileage AWD Express/Savanna that I will use as my DD. Exciting for me either way, thanks to all for the input - pictures to come, of course.

bdog1

Adventurer
Anyone have experience with AWD van in sugar sand? Does the AWD work well in sand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1v6pony

Adventurer
Ok so if it is going to be a daily driver why not do a smaller truck better millage, put a nice rack on it and a Airtop or magnolina RTT on it easy to deploy and comfy, then you have all that extra space under the RTT. Just a thought.

real3175

Observer
1v6pony - That setup was definitely considered, and who knows, life changes and I may go that route in the future. Parking a Tacoma or a Frontier is a hell of a lot easier than a full size van.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne