Alberta Bound & Beyond

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
We continued north on93 toward Jasper and were met with spectacular views from the pavement.

29928768670_bf2cd8cf55_b.jpg

31863782930_3cbb37ea80_b.jpg

29595540993_30034fbac0_b.jpg

32090669422_c362b58d9a_b.jpg

30189987096_57164159f2_b.jpg

As the sun sagged lower in the sky we knew it was time to start working our way south. We headed through Golden and conceded to a campground at Canyon Hot Springs

29081440156_6916e9ae81_b.jpg

The next day it was a short hop and a skip to the ferry that took us across Kootenai Lake.

30189910006_f22245cc52_b.jpg

30224747165_536da149c1_b.jpg

28827437520_0decae3bc6_b.jpg

29114367345_16d4357f8d_b.jpg

We then hit the first dirt highway ive ever driven and it took us around Trout Lake.

29114344345_f26d293a16_b.jpg

29928521160_15b4c8cffb_b.jpg

We then made it to the boarder crossing late in the day and made it back in the country without incident. With the sun setting we scavenged a campsite in the Colville National Forest and enjoyed a calm quiet evening where we soaked in the moments from the past week. Sadly it was al coming to an end.

29081414526_fef5030c03_b.jpg

29928499080_7690a306fe_b.jpg

And with that it was over. The next morning we hit pavement. Us heading East and Mike heading West.

They had a jolly good time even without me. I am still jealous I didn't get to see some of the places they went.

Devin and I were not about to totally throw in the towel though. We came up with the plan to get back to Wyoming and swap rigs. We still had the time off and damn it we were going to use it!

Igor, my daily driver double cab tacoma, would get the tent and gear slapped over and we would go camp somewhere.

First we had to make it there though.

I stopped at a car wash this time before leaving town and washed off Frankenstein, not wanting a repeat of the year before as we would be going through the exact same border crossing. Topped of the oil and hit the road hard.

We made it through no problems and thought we would be at camp with time to spare! We were wrong. Rock Creek was a zoo. All the free sites were gone. So decided to just drive down the road until we found some thinking we would eventually.

We were wrong again. It was ALL private a long the river. Sucked. After passing a few campgrounds, we caved and paid the 5 or 7 bucks to camp for the night. The first time in a LONG time i've paid for camping..

Albertabound.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

The next day we just drove all the way home. Stopped at the house and explained the trip to my parents. Swapped the RTT over and all the gear to my other truck and drove up to the Big Horn's. We got there in the dark and man was it COLD. Way colder then Canada had been. We were in for a rough night.

It rained. Then snowed, Then blew ice everywhere and constant wind. We damn near froze in the 28º F weather storm. It sucked.

We survived though.

AlbertaBound-2.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

All the ice that was left by the time we crawled out of our warm beds. We slept in that morning as the wind had kept us up most the night.

AlbertaBound-3.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

But the morning was beautiful. We were camped on top of a hill at 9200'. the valley below sure was pretty.

AlbertaBound.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Thats actually the highway and an old ski hill that hasn't run in years and years.

I went for a short stroll looking for another nice over look and instead found this cool little site.

AlbertaBound-4.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

AlbertaBound-5.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

One hell of a memorial site.

AlbertaBound-6.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Breakfast done, we packed up to finish the road we had come in on to go on a hike to one of my favorite spots, Copeman's Tomb.

Road was easy enough, thank god, as Igor had basically just car tires at the time. He did just fine and happily took us there.

AlbertaBound-7.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Sadly, you can't drive there anymore.

AlbertaBound-8.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

But not because people tore it up. Because of downed trees. And thats treeS. Probably 30-40 downed trees past the marker post till you break out of the trees.

At only a Mile hike though. We huffed it there no problem.

AlbertaBound-9.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Last edited:

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
This place is always cool to me. I swear ever time I go here there are no animals or bugs. Just quite peace.

Copeman was a sheep herder and we wanted to be buried up here. But the FS wouldn't allow it. Local's however started calling it Copeman's Tomb and over time, it stuck.

I am not exactly sure how tall this cliff face is. But I can tell you it takes about 10-11 seconds for a rock to hit the bottom...its high.

AlbertaBound-10.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

AlbertaBound-11.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

AlbertaBound-12.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

We sat at the edge for some time before hiking back to the truck. From here I decided to go camp at one of my favorite sites in the Big Horns.

AlbertaBound-14.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

First though, we stopped at Granite Pass. The wind and water have eroded the stone into tall towers.

AlbertaBound2-35.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

AlbertaBound2-36.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

We continued on to Morran Creek.

AlbertaBound-15.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Set up camp and proceeded to freeze again. Was still pretty here though.

AlbertaBound-16.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

AlbertaBound-17.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

AlbertaBound2-37.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

AlbertaBound-18.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

For some stupid reason I had forgotten to grab the axe. So I had nothing to chop wood. I also didn't bring any dry wood thinking we could just find plenty. Except that everything was soaking wet. It took me 3 hours to finally keep embers going long enough to dry out some sticks before we had a small fire going. Just in time to eat our corn cowder. After dinner. We promptly went to bed.

We awoke early because I had to be in MT for the week to work at Tippet. The frost was incredible in the morning.

AlbertaBound2-38.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

We hit the road for Fishtail MT were I had spent the summer as a recording engineer at Tippet Rise. They were doing another speacial event concert and I had been asked to record it as well. So we made a weekend of it.

Tippet Rise is a very interesting place and if you're ever in the neighborhood of the area I strongly suggest checking it out. Photos don't do the huge art sculputres justice.

Here is Tippet's site: http://tippetrise.org/

And some cool photos of the place.

2.-Tippet-Rise-16-04-6545.jpg

tippet-rise-arts-center-montana_dezeen_1568_5-936x669.jpg

But even cooler, here are some videos of things that I recording the music for.

[video=vimeo;189393330]https://vimeo.com/189393330[/video]
[video=vimeo;189353473]https://vimeo.com/189353473[/video]
[video=vimeo;188356043]https://vimeo.com/188356043[/video]

It is an interesting place. And I know this isn't normal for an overland/offroad post. But hey. In your adventures out here, come get a little art culture too :p

After our weekend there I wanted to show Devin the famous Beartooth highway. Plus I hadn't driven it from the Red Lodge side in years.

It is stellar.

AlbertaBound-19.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Sadly at the time we were there there was also 5 fires going on in Yellowstone :( Quite smokey.

AlbertaBound-20.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

AlbertaBound-21.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Didn't totally impede on the beauty though.

AlbertaBound-23.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

AlbertaBound-24.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

AlbertaBound-25.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

But the sun was setting and our trip was coming to an end. We were just happy that Igor had been there to pick up the pieces for us.

AlbertaBound-26.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

I sprinted up to the top of Dead Indian pass to catch the fading light..

AlbertaBound-27.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

AlbertaBound2-39.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

And that was the end of our all but too short of trip for the the fall.

Kind of an aburt ending for what we usually do, it was so short. But a lot had still happened. Hell my truck was half dead.

We had no regrets though. Canada had treated us well and I hope to go back still to explore more of its vast backcountry.

Again a huge congratulations to my good friend Ben and his Fiance Kirsten. May life bring you many blessings. I'll be there on the trail with you I'm sure to share some of them.

Thank you everyone for reading, I hope you're a little inspired to get out and enjoy some of the places not everyone gets to see.

Tread lightly, bring spare parts, take photos. Have a ball.

Thank you all.

Mike, “man that was too short. Need to get back out again.”

“tell me about it.” I said.

Mike, “I still have vacation time you know. What are you doing this fall?”

“Me? I'm free, basically unemployed after September.”

“Well, I've been thinking of returning to Moab and exploring some of UT.”

“Lets do it. When do we leave?”.

Keep an eye out for our Utah trip report!

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Thanks for wrapping it up!! Cant wait to see what the next adventure brings.

Thanks for reading!

I am super excited to start the next one. I did better then ever on documenting it with notes and GPS data. And it is the longest trip i've done.

Great report.

Maybe I should take tips from you because I have a road trip planned for this summer and I plan to visit Banff, Jasper, Yellowstone and possibly drive on Beartooth Pass. I bet I will be seeing a lot of the places you saw. I am driving from Texas. Will start a thread soon for my trip.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Great trip!

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! Glad you liked it!

Great report.

Maybe I should take tips from you because I have a road trip planned for this summer and I plan to visit Banff, Jasper, Yellowstone and possibly drive on Beartooth Pass. I bet I will be seeing a lot of the places you saw. I am driving from Texas. Will start a thread soon for my trip.

Sounds awesome! Be in my backyard and beyond!

Luckytibbs

LuckyTibbs
What an awesome trip report! Thanks! I'm headed up to Alaska this summer with some friends and I'm going to see if we can hit some of these trails. Beautiful!!!!

Debbie

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
What an awesome trip report! Thanks! I'm headed up to Alaska this summer with some friends and I'm going to see if we can hit some of these trails. Beautiful!!!!

Debbie

Be a nice detour! Check out my other one in Canada too as those trails would be great as well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles