Alberta Bound & Beyond

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Alberta Bound and Beyond

Chapter 1: Last Minute Scramble to the Sun

It's August 2016 and the time has come for what has become an annual ritual for my two friends and I to meet and go on an adventure to somewhere new. Mike, Ben, and I have been planning all summer to head back into Canada to explore more of its vast backcountry. But it nearly didn't happen.

We had asked if several people would like to join us and a few did. We had some great contacts in Canada who were willing and able to share precious GPS data with us to some very remote and amazing places through the mazes of logging roads found in Canada. Timmy, who was more or less our groups deemed navigator as we all where still working on getting our rigs setup for navigation, was given all the GPS data. Sadly, at the last minute, he had to pull out from the trip for reasons unknown.

This left us in a bit of a pickle and scramble as we had to refind the GPX files and figure out a way to use them. Mike thankfully took on this task and came through with flying colors with just 5 days to go till our rally point of the Basecamp Cafe in Columbia Falls, MT. But he made it happen and our trip was saved.

Thank you Mike.

Devin and I, well okay more of me, scrabbled to get the truck packed and hit the road late to Montana to camp just off of highway 83N on Friday night. We didn't get to camp until 2am.

Mike and Ben had a much nicer evening camping at Ashely Lake.

IMG_0001 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

The next morning we all met up at the rally point, ate breakfast and talked mad **** too make up for lost time. Introductions where also in order as Ben had brought along his girlfriend this year, Kirsten, whom niether I nor Devin had met. She fit right in bashing on Ben just as hard as we did. It was going to be a good trip.

From breakfast we refueled and hit the road to enter Glacier National Park. We didn't intend to spend a lot of time here, just drive the Going to The Sun road before entering into Canada. I was excited for this as I knew it was famous but wasn't ready for the traffic we would encounter on a small narrow steep and winding road built in the 30s.

The drive was beautiful but pull outs to stop where at a premium and we decided that it was just best to pull out when you could if you found a spot to fit. The road was very busy and we really didn't stop until we started climbing and got up above the beautiful glacier cut valley's.

Alberta Bound!-3.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_0009 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr
IMG_0017 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr
IMG_0981z by mike digirat, on Flickr

Even with the traffic, we where glad to be on the road.

Alberta Bound!.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-2.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

I for one was looking forward to the road where the amount of people was only us. Frankenstein was no slender pony anymore and people where constantly honking at me for “hogging the road”. Come on! Long travel people!

Alberta Bound!-4.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

They just don't understand..

We continued up the highway taking in the vast beauty that had named the road so eloquently.

AlbertaBound2.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
AlbertaBound2-2.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

I am always blown away by how lush areas can be coming from a desert. The green areas really are striking to me at times.

AlbertaBound2-3.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
AlbertaBound2-4.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

It is rare to see guard rails on the road once you cross the Continental divide. Avalanches tend to destroy any sort of barrier they tried to put up here. The snowfall up here can be pretty insane.

Alberta Bound!-6.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

The construcsion of this road is amazing. It was started in 1921 and finished in 1932. The sheer work it took to blast the road into the mountainside on such steep mountainsides is daunting. Some of the places they couldn't and just make bridges like this one. That bridge is approaching 100 years old.

Alberta Bound!-7.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-8.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

While the road is amazing in its own way, Glacier National Park is unreal. The true beatuy though is beyond any vehicles reach. Back packing is popular here and is about the only way you could ever see some of those far off peaks and valleys.

AlbertaBound2-5.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Another time, we will stick to the road for now. I wonder how long it will take for the scared face to heal once and if humans are gone..

AlbertaBound2-6.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-9.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_0995 by mike digirat, on Flickr
AlbertaBound2-7.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Last edited:

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
We didn't stop at the top at the visitor's center, parking was very hard to find so we just continued on towards St Mary Lake.

Alberta Bound!-10.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_2363-Edit by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr
IMG_2361-Edit by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

Now we all wanted the Classic photo of Wild Goose Island. But none more so then Mike. He had been here before in the 80s and had taken a photo on film of it before. He wanted a do over. And man did he get we. We all did. Cool to see everyones take on it.

Alberta Bound!-11.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_0024 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr
IMG_1013z by mike digirat, on Flickr

Mike was happy to get to see it all again.

Alberta Bound!-13.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

After that, we rolled out of the park and bought our last tank of US gas and turned North to Alberta! We ended up crossing at the Chief Mountain Highway crossing into Canada highway 6.

I loved this crossing. It was smaller then the others I had used. The border was still very defined though.

Alberta Bound!-14.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-15.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

The border guard teased us all about something funny with our trucks. He asked me if I had any guns.

“No sir, only a knife and axe” I replied.

“Well who's protecting all the women!” he said to me with a serious grin on his face.

He got us all with something. He nailed Ben and Kirsten asking if they had any animals with them. Kirsten about cried having had to leave their two puppies at home this trip.

“I miss them! They are my kids” she said.

With the border crossed we had made it into Canada! Soon after we stopped for lunch just as we where coming off the mountains to one stellar view of the valley below.

IMG_0025 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr
AlbertaBound2-8.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

We ate lunch here sitting on the rock wall taking in the view. Was a marvelous valley to see. The call to hit some dirt though was strong now and we set off to find our first trail named Powerline.

We drove through vast acers of farmland until we finally headed back into the mountains to Crowsnest Past and stopped in the town of Frank.

This little town has a very interesting story. As you pull in you notice that the mountain to the west seems to have had quite a landslide. As you get right outside of town, you realize it was one HELL of a landside with large rocks and boulders everywhere on both sides of the highway and up into the valley to the east.

And boy was it ever. We decided to stop at the visitor center as it was on the same road as our trail to read about it a bit more and see it better. It's massive.

IMG_0028 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr
AlbertaBound2-9.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Franks Slide is what its called, and it swallowed up half the town of Frank in 1903. Alberta wasn't even a province until 1905! It was one of the largest landslides with 30 MILLION tons of rock suddenly let loose traveling at speeds of 70mph down the mountain. The whole event is said to have taken 100 seconds or so and 70-90+ people died. It remains the deadliest landslide in Canada's history.

By now though, we where done with history lessons and ready for some dirt. We aired down in the parking lot of the center and took off.

Power line trail is just a massive hill climb we found out. It takes off into the mountains across from the slide and climbs to the top. Following some massive high voltage lines. It was still a blast though.

IMG_0032 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr
IMG_1034z by mike digirat, on Flickr
IMG_0033 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

I thought about trying up this very steep and loose hill. I wish I had gone for it now, but was the first day and I wasn't feeling rambucious enough..yet.

IMG_1039 by mike digirat, on Flickr
IMG_0040 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr
IMG_1053 by mike digirat, on Flickr

We made it to the top in realativily quick time. It is a short trail.

IMG_1055 by mike digirat, on Flickr
IMG_0048 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Now we need to find camp and we didn't want to take on the wind at the top up here. So we headed back down to one of the side roads in search of a spot.

Not sure what these powerlines carry voltage wise. But you can hear them humming.

Alberta Bound!-20.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-21.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

We had a hoot looking for a place to camp in the maze of roads. Even though their were many they all seemed to connect back into each other.

IMG_0051 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr
IMG_0054 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

Ben even almost got stuck. I was on top of a hill watching him trying to get back up the hill out of a bog laughing. I regret not thinking to snap a photo as instead I was giving him crap for switching to an all terrain tire.

Some how the cheeky bastard got out though unassisted.

Damn.

Soon after that we found a nice spot next to a creek and setup our first camp in Canada.

Alberta Bound!-23.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_0060 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr
IMG_1068 by mike digirat, on Flickr

It drizzled on and off us that night and was hard to find dry wood to burn. But we made do. We were very glad to not have a fire ban in effect this time. Devin and Kirsten took to battling us about how the hell we can talk about trucks all the time now that they had each other for back up. We still talked about trucks though because its what we do and did into the night before turning in to sleep.

The next morning we set off back the way we came to Coleman to refuel and prepare for another local favorite. Airplane.

I always wish I knew the story about old abandoned vehicles you find on trails like this.

Alberta Bound!-24.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-25.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Airplane starts practically right out of town. We saw lots of local traffic on this trail. I don't blame them. If this was in my backyard id be there constantly. Most where in ATVs, UTVs, or dirt bikes. But we never had to wait on anyone really or them on us.

This trail was classic Canada. Steep climbs with lots of muddy troughs to run through with great scenery to boot.

IMG_2366-Edit by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-26.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_1074 by mike digirat, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-27.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-28.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

We found a place we could all fit in near the top as we could see the end point was full of locals enjoying their lunch. We decided this was a nice place to eat.

IMG_0068 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

Gonna be a dirty trip..little did I know at the time it would be very dirty for me.

Alberta Bound!-30.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Not so bad if your tires still fit under your truck.

Alberta Bound!-31.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

After lunch and watching lots of ATVs pass us and one almost roll. We went to the top to see the crash.

Back in 1946 an Airfore Plane crashed here. Rather then tell you the story, you can read my photo.

Alberta Bound!-40.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Pretty interesting. Even more so is that the wreckage is still there, mostly. Was very cool to see.

IMG_1095 by mike digirat, on Flickr
AlbertaBound2-10.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

The creek is still littered with debris everywhere.

Alberta Bound!-35.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-36.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Pretty cool to see all of that.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
After this, we headed back down to our next trail

Alberta Bound!-38.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

This chute was deep and fun

Alberta Bound!-41.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-43.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-47.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-48.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-50.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Our next trail was named 7 bridges. Which is quite humorous since there are no bridges anywhere. But you do cross the creek about 7 times. Was a very fun trail with a few tight spots for me.

AlbertaBound2-12.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_1108 by mike digirat, on Flickr
IMG_0078 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-51.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

The creek's water was deliciously clear and the woods around it had a mystical magic about them.

Alberta Bound!-52.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-53.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
AlbertaBound2-13.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Eventually we broke from the creek bottom and rose up into the hills a bit. Just as we started up the hills we passed two large UTVs full of people. They let us by with no problems. We broke up out of the trees and got to take in the massively powerful peaks.

IMG_0087 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-54.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-4.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-5.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

We continued on until we reached a large Fork in the road and a small parking space. This is where our GPS track ended. Instead of going off down the fork we decided to turn around and go hit our third trail for the day.

Upon doing this we hit the UTVers again and they asked us if we were headed to the caves.

“What caves?” I asked.

“Oh about 7-8km up there are some lovely large caves you can explore'' one of the drivers told us.

Sadly we didn't have the time to do such a long hike and continued on our way out the trail.

IMG_0089 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr
IMG_1122 by mike digirat, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-6.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_0094 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr
IMG_0098 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
At this point we re grouped at the main road and headed off to find our next trail, Tent Mountain. Mike took the lead followed by Ben and then Me. I don't quite remember how I ended up at the back, probably checking something, but as I set off to catch Mike and Ben I heard Kirsten come up on the CB.

But didn't quiet catch all of it just,

“We are around the corner waiting for you!”

I have no idea what they said before that, but usually when Ben says that he is posed to take a fun photo of me at speed. So. Not thinking twice about it I floored it as I approached the corner.

As I came into a drift around the corner Devin and I saw what they where waiting for.

A puddle.

Actually I sorry, a lake is a better description.

Already going fast, I said, “**** it!” and kept Frank pinned.

IMG_0100 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

Ben had done his best to be in position to take a photo of the following tsunami but at the last second realized he was not safe from the water and turned away to protect his camera.

I think the photo of him says it all ha!

Alberta Bound!-7.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

After taking a few minutes to laugh and laugh about what had just happened. Mike came up on the radio asking where the hell we where and we romped off to catch him.

Alberta Bound!-8.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

For some reason we missed the trail head though and it appeared the trail had been closed. Puzzled by this, we decided to take a road that went off to the left instead. This ended up being a super fun road with lots and lots of deep muddy chutes. I took the lead here as Mike and Ben figured if I got stuck they would. We had blast. Sadly not enough photos though. Hard to get out to take photos when its all mud everywhere.

Alberta Bound!-9.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

The trail ran through the valley in between Tent Mountain and the Crows Nest Range. It also put us into BC.

Alberta Bound!-10.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-11.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-12.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

After we got out of the trail we came out onto Corbin Road. And man were we dirty!

IMG_0107 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-14.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Mike, was too dirty.

IMG_0108 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-17.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

His alternator had died. The GM CS 144 had bit the dust...or mud rather. It wasn't outputting anything. Luckily Mike had brought his stock one and it had the quick harness I had made. The swap would be relatively easy.

Camp was a priority though and Mike suggesting going back to the beginning of 7 Bridges or there abouts. Not the way we had just come sadly, but on the highway north to hit the Crowsnest highway and double back.

We agreed and followed him to the spot he had in mind.

Alberta Bound!-19.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

We then prepped for surgery.

Alberta Bound!-20.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-21.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_1127 by mike digirat, on Flickr

This should have been a very simple swap. But we encountered a tad problem. The CS144 swap, for those of you not aware, requires a small spacer at the top mount. I had made one for Mike almost two years ago. However, it had been just a tad off. This allowed the bushing that was pressed into the cast iron mount to poke in a touch and ment the stock alternator wouldn't go on. It was in a spot that we could not tap it out. We needed something to press it out.

Again, not being our first shin dig, particularly Mike's. He had a large bag of assorted bolts. I dug through it till I found one the right size and a washer. Grabbed a big socket and viola! A trail press.

IMG_1129 by mike digirat, on Flickr
IMG_1131 by mike digirat, on Flickr

Pressed the bushing out a touch and the alternator slid right in.

Always a PITA to deal with belts and stuff though.

IMG_1128 by mike digirat, on Flickr

About an hour later, The Red Head was good to go!

AlbertaBound2-15.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Alberta Bound!-22.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

We settled in for the night and a short rain storm hit us.

IMG_1135 by mike digirat, on Flickr
IMG_1137 by mike digirat, on Flickr

We didn't care though. We had once again over come a break down with no outside help needed. It is always super rewarding and gratifying knowing you can overcome those type of problems. Especially when you are out of country.

Only two days into to Canada, 4 trails down and many more miles too come with more memories to be made. We where off to a great start. Even though it almost didn't.

Canada.

We are back.

To be continued:
Chapter 2: Emotional Highs, Explosive Lows​

Cent

Observer
As usual very well written and great photography by all of you! Looking forward to the rest of the story!

unkamonkey

Explorer
You do some good trips and write them up well but you really weren't in mud. If you are really in mud if you think about a shovel to clean the windshield.

I avoid mud anymore.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Another good one. Nice country side, well photographed.

Dan.

Thank you!

As usual very well written and great photography by all of you! Looking forward to the rest of the story!

Thank you, will try and get it before the weekend.

You do some good trips and write them up well but you really weren't in mud. If you are really in mud if you think about a shovel to clean the windshield.

I avoid mud anymore.

Haha that is true! I have been there as well. This wasn't thick mud, was very watery mud thankfully. Few really deep holes, one was so deep my buddies avoided it like the plague after i went through it. Was a friendly type of mud. Easy to wash off. :p i tend to avoid the nasty stuff as well. Hate it.

Roody

Adventurer
Excellent photos and story as always

I need to make it out there sometime, the scenery and trails seem incredible. Bucket list item for me for sure.

There's a similar plane crash in the woods of NH, definitely worth a stop if anyone is every in that area (can't remember where exactly though)

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Nice to see some familiar territory.

Keep the pictures comin'!

Oh they will be coming!

Following along again!

:D

Excellent photos and story as always

I need to make it out there sometime, the scenery and trails seem incredible. Bucket list item for me for sure.

There's a similar plane crash in the woods of NH, definitely worth a stop if anyone is every in that area (can't remember where exactly though)

Thank you!

You should come out for sure!

We have a similar thing here in Wyo too. A B2 bomber crashed in the Big Horns. You can still go see it, though a lot has been taken. Its a backpacking trip though. But a short 2 day trip.

Roody

Adventurer
Oh they will be coming!

:D

Thank you!

You should come out for sure!

We have a similar thing here in Wyo too. A B2 bomber crashed in the Big Horns. You can still go see it, though a lot has been taken. Its a backpacking trip though. But a short 2 day trip.

If the offer stands I very well may take you up on that later this year or in 2017

As for the crash site, I stand corrected, the site I've been to is in Maine and it's a B52 site about half-way up the state. Been there via ATV but haven't made it in a truck just yet (keyword: yet)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles