My APRS stopped working...

WhiteH2O

Observer
I finally got a few spare minutes to mess around with it to try troubleshooting again. First thing I did was take off the antenna and put a meter on it. It showed an open. Put the little backup antenna on, and it's working now.

Now I need to see if I can get a refund on my Larson; sucker wasn't cheap!

aearles

Observer
Take a look at the center conductor tab in the NMO connector, mine was squished on a Larsen NMO2/70, I just had to bend it out a bit to fix.

Inyo80

I see you figured out the problem already so just a couple comments FYI.

APRS-IS shows your last packets on 3/15 having a packet path of "WIDE1-1, WIDE3-3". In the Sea-Tac area there are plenty of digis and a simple WIDE2-1 will get your packet gated and avoid congestion on RF. Your packet rate also looked a biit high. Digis are sometimes known for ignoring stations they consider abusive. However digi software has improved - with those digis if they see your packet already duplicated on RF or APRS-IS they can avoid dupping it again. For example BALDI which is south of you with wide coverage does this.

Also if you haven't already set transmit power to low - no need for 50 watts if digis are nearby and the goal is to let someone know where you are on aprs.fi.

Remote places like Death Valley I use "WIDE1-1, WIDE2-1" and increase tx power to high. The digis there are really wide and one hop from them will get it to an i-gate, or your buddies over in the next valley. That doesn't mean WIDE3-3 isn't useful just take into account location and how many hops it might take to get to an I-gate.

Have fun.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I see you figured out the problem already so just a couple comments FYI.

APRS-IS shows your last packets on 3/15 having a packet path of "WIDE1-1, WIDE3-3". In the Sea-Tac area there are plenty of digis and a simple WIDE2-1 will get your packet gated and avoid congestion on RF. Your packet rate also looked a biit high. Digis are sometimes known for ignoring stations they consider abusive. However digi software has improved - with those digis if they see your packet already duplicated on RF or APRS-IS they can avoid dupping it again. For example BALDI which is south of you with wide coverage does this.

Also if you haven't already set transmit power to low - no need for 50 watts if digis are nearby and the goal is to let someone know where you are on aprs.fi.

Remote places like Death Valley I use "WIDE1-1, WIDE2-1" and increase tx power to high. The digis there are really wide and one hop from them will get it to an i-gate, or your buddies over in the next valley. That doesn't mean WIDE3-3 isn't useful just take into account location and how many hops it might take to get to an I-gate.

Have fun.

Great info! I need to spend so,e time learning more about the path options.

lonekazoo

Just a thought: Try increasing the TXDELAY setting slightly. Some Digipeaters might miss the first part of a packet if you don't add a slight delay. Try something like 60ms, and if that works start dropping it down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94