Just Another High-Roof Camper Van Build

paddlenbike

Adventurer
I purchased a big metal box on wheels last month, but want to provide the back-story first. I've been on this forum for a number of years, mostly hiding deep in the bowels of the Toyota section. I have a 3rd gen 4Runner I've owned since 2005--it is lightly built with a 2.5" Tundra/OME lift, some body protection and a factory locking differential. The 4Runner has been a great all-around vehicle; one that I will likely never sell. That said, I've had the itch for some type of camper for many years now, which was perpetuated by having a 2-year old daughter and the desire to not have to deploy a tent nightly on extended trips and the desire to have a hard-sided shelter that will allow us to comfortably travel year-round.

The only RV I have owned is a 4Wheel Pop Up camper I had mounted on my e-locked extended cab Toyota pickup. It was a great little unit, but I think the lesson learned was I did not enjoy off-road travel with the camper on the truck. Even though I had a capable truck and a light-weight camper, having the weight and my possessions sloshing around in the back didn't make for an enjoyable experience. Dirt roads were fine, rock crawling was not. This experience weighed heavily into my decision to forego a 4WD van, but more on that later. I also decided to skip a towable trailer--loved the little R-pods, but being limited to 55 MPH in California while towing, having to pay to store it offsite and like the camper, lacking the interest in shaking one to death on 4WD trails, I ruled this out too. The spontaneity that is afforded by a van parked in my driveway was very appealing.

I think I have looked at every RV made and have attended over a dozen RV shows in the past few years. Another thing became clear, no one makes an RV I wanted to own. Too much precious space taken up by inside showers, oversized closets, etc. I basically want something we can't buy in the U.S., a euro-style camper with a small galley, seatbelted seating for 4, sleeping for 4, a place for 4 to eat and play board games, diesel heat and outside shower. Sprinter forums has a great DIY RV section, which led me to the conclusion that 1) I would have to build my own and 2) with patience and a lot of time spent learning individual mechanical systems like batteries/inverters/solar, plumbing, etc., I could do this.

I decided a high roof van was what I needed, but not a Mercedes...their DIY camper forums are great but the vehicles are too expensive and the diesel emissions equipment too troublesome. I saw many small class b RVs based on the Ram Promaster, so I started by looking at those. I had some concerns with quality since my family and friends haven't exactly had great luck with Chrysler products. After seeing build quality issues in person and I was becoming more aware of transmission problems and traction issues that stem from a loaded-down RV conversion with a front wheel drive architecture; there was one final nail in the coffin--a friend was excited to tell me that he rented a Promaster for some work he had to do out-of-town, and then the next day he texted me to report the Promaster was on a flatbed as he had experienced transmission failure (shattered flexplate) on the freeway. I took it as a sign.

This led to the Transit. Great vehicle, but it has a proportion problem. The medium roof isn't as tall as the MB Sprinter and would force me to the mega roof in order to have headroom. Those are REALLY tall. That change forces the extended body, which I didn't want. And then there's the gas mileage...most report they get around 16 MPG after a camper conversion, with both the 3.7 and the 3.5 ecoboost. The diesel option is $5k and actually put it's price over the Sprinter. Adding a high top/pop top to a low roof van costs $5-8k, and the stealth factor isn't there when camping, so that was ruled-out too.

I was curious so I went to see a Sprinter in person. Truth be told, it spoke to me. It drove great, the steering actually has more feel than my now-sold 2013 Acura TSX. The proportions were right, the powertrain was great, but that price though.

This led to several months of my spare-time being spent on the Sprinter forums. I can provide more detail on this for anyone deciding between powertrains, but I had to rule-out the 4WD model. 4WD's are V6/5-speed only, which eliminates the ability to have the highly-praised 4 cylinder diesel with the 7-speed auto. It drives a lot better than the V6 diesel (mostly because the 4 cylinder has twin turbos that produce considerably less off-line lag than the V6, and 2 more gears in the transmission with much better programming), the 4cyl gets 6 MPG better economy, but the key for me was the 4 cylinder has a much less troublesome EGR/diesel exhaust emission system. The price spread between a 2WD 4cyl and a 4WD was $14,000. (Not a typo.) There is a year waiting list to order a 4WD and thus few people are able negotiate more than $1k off MSRP, AND MB does not offer the $3k cash back that is offered on the 2WD, + the cost of the 4WD option at $7,400. That's real money. Had the 4 cyl powertrain been available with 4WD and at a more reasonable price, I would have been all over it. Given all the pros and cons of different platforms and my previous experience with an offroad camper, I decided a 2WD van would be capable of taking me to most of the locations I wanted to go (dirt roads/fireroads, etc.), and for everything else I'd much rather be in the 4Runner anyway. That combination of rebates put me in MB for way less than I would have thought.

Last edited:

paddlenbike

Adventurer
Enough jibber-jabber, here she is; she takes every single inch of my driveway, plus some.

32350764372_ee218d3136_b.jpg

-4 cylinder/7-speed 2500 model
-144” wheelbase, high roof cargo, 8,550 GVWR
-Factory front swivel seats
-Premium Package (HID headlights, alloy wheels)
-Auxiliary AGM battery package
-Tow package
-HD suspension
-Cruise/backup cam/steering wheel controls
-Comfort seats w/height/lumbar both seats
-Tinted windows rear & slider
-Roof rails

Thanks for reading. Consider this my camper van build thread.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Congrats, that is a nice looking van.

I agree with you on 4wd in a large camper van. Honestly I don't feel the need to beat myself or my camper up by rock crawling or running tough trails. I can get a motorbike or rent a true 4WD vehicle if I need it. I have found my early sprinter pretty capable. One of the bigger limits is simply front wheel articulation as the medium wheel base has great ground clearance and departure/approach angles (for its class). If you need extra ground clearance, etc Vancompass has some great products. With the 2" lift you can put larger tires as well for better clearance. A fox shock kit will also make your van handle much better with all the conversion weight.

With the Sprinters seating position being higher, rough trails tend to through you and your stuff around quite a bit as well due to roll.

There seems to be this myth that the sprinter is expensive to buy. But really the 2wd version with 4 cylinder is pretty competitively priced once you compare options and drivetrains. The 4wd option is expensive, but compared to any factory 4wd option is not unusually high.

The 4cyl/7spd drivetrain has gotten rave reviews on the sprinter-source forums, and has a long history in Europe before we got it over here. I tend to think its no more or less reliable than any other current diesel offering from a major van manufacturer.

If you look at the crash test ratings the sprinter is likely best in class as well, so there are some definite pros over the promaster/transit.

I am looking forward to your build out. Keep us updated.

Keyne

Adventurer
Nice van!

Agree with above and would add that the Sprinter is also very very comfortable to drive (seats, driving position, brakes, ride, handling) and is more like a luxury vehicle than a van IMO. On long trips I just want keep on going. Also the huge windshield is really awesome on road trips.

paddlenbike

Adventurer
I agree with you on 4wd in a large camper van. Honestly I don't feel the need to beat myself or my camper up by rock crawling or running tough trails. I can get a motorbike or rent a true 4WD vehicle if I need it. I have found my early sprinter pretty capable. One of the bigger limits is simply front wheel articulation as the medium wheel base has great ground clearance and departure/approach angles (for its class). If you need extra ground clearance, etc Vancompass has some great products. With the 2" lift you can put larger tires as well for better clearance. A fox shock kit will also make your van handle much better with all the conversion weight.

I have watched enough 4WD Sprinter videos to see how the limited articulation and tall profile make for some sketchiness in places where the 4Runner would just roll through. That said, I know there are going to be times I wish I had at least AWD capability for slick conditions. I do plan to upgrade to BFG ATs pretty soon, will carry a couple of tow straps and my TredPro traction ramps. It's amazing what my 4Runner will climb in 2WD with just the rear locker engaged...I don't think I would feel I was missing anything if a selectable locker was available for the Sprinter. (ARB are you listening?)

With the Sprinters seating position being higher, rough trails tend to through you and your stuff around quite a bit as well due to roll.

Like a person at the top of a sailboat mast! It didn't take me long to notice that even in my 2WD Sprinter, I'm only a couple of inches away from being eye-to-eye with big rig drivers. These things are tall, even in low roof form!

The 4cyl/7spd drivetrain has gotten rave reviews on the sprinter-source forums, and has a long history in Europe before we got it over here. I tend to think its no more or less reliable than any other current diesel offering from a major van manufacturer.

If it weren't for the 4 cylinder option, I would have passed on the Sprinter entirely. I think all diesel manufacturers are struggling with diesel emissions to some extent, but the 4 cylinder is a much more modern, clean-burning engine than the V6, which doesn't seem to tax the emissions system as hard. The 4 cylinder's variable vane oil pump, switchable coolant pump, and switchable/separate oil supply piston jets help bring the engine up to temperature sooner, which reduces emissions and prevents the quick accumulation of particulates in the DPF and also reduces oil dilution. I understand that the coolant pump does not circulate coolant within the block at all until the engine starts coming up to temperature. All of this further reduces the need for DPF regeneration. Probably the biggest deal is the 2-stage EGR cooler, with high (which the V6 has) and low pressure EGR routes and a bypass valve used under some conditions. The EGR routing and design is proving to be much more reliable than the older system fitted to the V6. Mercedes builds excellent diesel engines, I think it's the after-treatment that all diesel owners, regardless of brand, need to worry about. I've read enough praise of the 4 cylinder that I felt confident enough to buy one.

I am looking forward to your build out. Keep us updated.

Will do! Diesel heating is next. I see you have one--I plan to mount mine in the passenger seat pedestal passing through the floor. Did you do anything to seal between the intake/exhaust and the holes through the body? I'm thinking something not super permanent, like high temperature RTV (as opposed to exhaust cement). I don't see where a gasket is included. (Espar D2)

paddlenbike

Adventurer
Nice van!

Agree with above and would add that the Sprinter is also very very comfortable to drive (seats, driving position, brakes, ride, handling) and is more like a luxury vehicle than a van IMO. On long trips I just want keep on going. Also the huge windshield is really awesome on road trips.

It does drive nicer than what one might imagine. The driving position and huge windshield provide a great panoramic view. Not surprisingly it's pretty loud inside right now with bare metal walls. I started working on insulation and just a few MLV tiles here-and-there and the start of my insulation project is beginning to quiet it down and makes the doors sound much more solid when they shut.

I am starting to get used to the weird German control placement. I've never owned a car that didn't have the wiper stalk on the right side of the steering wheel, so remembering to turn the left stalk for wipe, push a button on the end of the stalk for wipe/wash, seems odd. Same with the cruise control. One thing that surprised me, there's no adjustable intermittent operation on the wiper, just a fixed intermittent. Seriously Mercedes?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Depending on where you get your heater from, it may come with a mounting plate for the floor. Check out heatso.com for great pricing on the heaters.

My preferred method is to use a mounting plate attached to the espar. So cut your hole(s) in the floor, with a mounting plate all you need is one large one.

Then attach the mounting plate, intake/exhaust and fuel lines to the heater. Apply a bead of high temp RTV or similar sealant to the bottom of the mounting plate. If the floor isn't smooth enough, use some closed cell foam tape to make a gasket. Then bolt/screw the mounting plate to the floor. This method lets you make all your connections above the floor, which will save you time and skinned knuckles.

The heater will have a rubber gasket that will seal between the heater body and the mounting plate.

This method also has all of the combustion air connections outside the van, which eliminates the risk of odor/exhaust inside the van.

Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Very nice van - Looks like the 4 cylinder motor is worth giving up 4WD for - unless you like winter sports and want to avoid chaining up often - that is the only reason I think a 4WD sprinter makes sense.

A rear locker would be very nice to have - seems like it shouldn't be that difficult. A buddy of mine swapped in a standard 9 inch ford rear axle on his MB 209 James Cook high top van in order to get one - that thing did very well off road after that but he did have to carry two spares since the bolt patterns were different front to rear.

Having the espar under the passenger seat is a good idea - the area around it should stay relatively clear for the air to flow that way.

paddlenbike

Adventurer
Started the process of de-blinging the exterior. The wheels had gawdy chrome emblems and the front grille has a chrome Mercedes emblem that is the size of a small pizza. Five coats of Plasti-dip matte black followed by two coats of Plasti-dip graphite Metallizer seems to take care of that situation. I'm still in the planning phase of the electrical system and don't have parts on-order yet, so this nonsense Plasti-dip project worked it's way into the build queue.

For anyone thinking about working with Plasti-dip, it is interesting stuff. Results were not as smooth as what I have experienced with wheel paint, but the ability to spray it on a wheel with a tire mounted and being able to pull the overspray off the tire gives it an advantage over paint when you're on a time budget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94