2017 4runner v 2017 Landcruiser

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
The historical Achilles heel of the F250 has been the diesel engine options (the 6.0 Powerstroke and the 6.4, both designed by International). The newer 6.7L Powerstroke (actually designed and built in house by Ford) has still yet to prove its long term reputation. That aside, the F250/350 chassis and the gasoline engines are pretty well tested at this point, and are reliable so long as you do the proper maintenance.

I'm a Toyota guy. I love my 4runner. I'll likely pick up an older Landcruiser as a project vehicle in the near future. But I can still acknowledge that other companies make good vehicles too. That's the difference between a fanboy and an enthusiast: being able to appreciate other brands of vehicles.

The thing with American made trucks is they design the with an “eh that’ll do” mentality. Making the claim that the chassis is good while it drives on the paved American roads is not something I would brag about. But that’s me I guess

calicamper

Expedition Leader
No ones arguing with that. But the fact of the matter is that what makes Landcruisers so popular is that they were consistently built 10x better than their competitors. That's a fact, not a fanboy-ism.

Like I said earlier, I love American trucks. But there's a reason why those aren't the trucks you see in the Middle East, in Africa, or anywhere that someone needs a 25 year service life being driven hard off road every single day.
Actually Suburbans have replaced LCs in war torn areas because they were brought in by contractors. The Diesel LCs get superior fuel consumption than US trucks and not everyone gets cheap GOV controlled fuel prices so fuel hungry US spec trucks are of little interest.

Reliability today is like arguing what color is best. Its pointless with major brands they all return pretty solid numbers.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Actually Suburbans have replaced LCs in war torn areas because they were brought in by contractors. The Diesel LCs get superior fuel consumption than US trucks and not everyone gets cheap GOV controlled fuel prices so fuel hungry US spec trucks are of little interest.

Reliability today is like arguing what color is best. Its pointless with major brands they all return pretty solid numbers.

When’s the last time you were in a war torn area? The last time I was there I rarely saw suburbans. If they were it’s because they were left. Not because they were chosen by the locals.

perterra

Adventurer
The thing with American made trucks is they design the with an “eh that’ll do” mentality. Making the claim that the chassis is good while it drives on the paved American roads is not something I would brag about. But that’s me I guess

Your losing credibility with this one.

perterra

Adventurer
You’re

Truth hurts I guess? Sorry to be a bearer of bad news.

Im thinking you got your feelings hurt, drive out to any oil patch and look at crew trucks and count the Toyota's in the fleets.

Seriously, when is the last time you spent any time in a late model chevy or ford truck?

Id love to have an LC, but it wouldn't be to feed my ego. They are great vehicles, but a lot of proclamations with no facts dont carry much weight.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Im thinking you got your feelings hurt, drive out to any oil patch and look at crew trucks and count the Toyota's in the fleets.

Seriously, when is the last time you spent any time in a late model chevy or ford truck?

Id love to have an LC, but it wouldn't be to feed my ego. They are great vehicles, but a lot of proclamations with no facts dont carry much weight.

The question is how long do they last? I worked at a mine in Nevada for a while and every Chevy and Ford they had last for a a couple years vector they were trashed. Go to Afghanistan or Africa and count how many Chevy or fords are there. I’ve spent plenty of time in late model trucks. I used to be the whole “only murica can build trucks. Them japs can’t do it like murica.” Then I actually bought one. Certainly not feeding my ego.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
In a train station parking lot yesterday I saw a new F250 and a TLC200.
My observation now is that the new F250 looks fantastic, but it's just too big, even compare to TLC200. It is so roomy, so well designed inside that It is hard not to give a credit.
So many extra compartments and outlets (inside and in the bad) it is impossible not to appreciate its versatility and well-thought out design.
Also it may no longer be important but solid axles are
But, as I said it seemed too big to me for the purpose we are all here for.

TLC200 is a great car. I wish they imported them in cheaper a trim such as GX (Australian trim) so we could afford it. It would have costed $64000 UD. The GX has got everything I need.

Dalko43

Explorer
No ones arguing with that. But the fact of the matter is that what makes Landcruisers so popular is that they were consistently built 10x better than their competitors. That's a fact, not a fanboy-ism.

Actually making claims that Toyota LC's are built "10x better" are purely subjective and have little to do with facts. What kind of facts could you even bring up to quantify a subjective statement like that?

Like I said earlier, I love American trucks. But there's a reason why those aren't the trucks you see in the Middle East, in Africa, or anywhere that someone needs a 25 year service life being driven hard off road every single day.

The question is how long do they last? I worked at a mine in Nevada for a while and every Chevy and Ford they had last for a a couple years vector they were trashed. Go to Afghanistan or Africa and count how many Chevy or fords are there. I’ve spent plenty of time in late model trucks. I used to be the whole “only murica can build trucks. Them japs can’t do it like murica.” Then I actually bought one. Certainly not feeding my ego.

25 year service life? Again, can someone at least provide some Toyota factory literature that supports that?

Domestic trucks historically were of inferior build quality compared to Japanese vehicles. That quality gap has largely disappeared in recent years, especially with the 3/4 and 1 ton segments. Those trucks are engineered to endure a lifetime of hard work and abuse, and, quite honestly, Toyota doesn't sell anything in North American that even comes close to those vehicles in terms of working capabilities. There are plenty of examples of 3/4 and 1 ton pickup's hitting 350k miles and beyond; and again many of these trucks endure hard, abusive conditions as work trucks, unlike most of Toyota's North American offerings which are sold and used as personal vehicles. I'm not saying that to disparage Toyota, but just pointing out that when you compare a Ford F250 with 200k to a Toyota LC 200 with 200k, one vehicle has likely seen much more abuse than the other (which means one will likely be more worn out than the other). Vehicle use and maintenance being equal, the newer domestic pickup's hold up quite well relative to Toyota's, IMHO.

As for the point about how most overseas contractors and agencies use non-domestic products:
1) that's not necessarily true. I've seen plenty of domestic 4x4's overseas, in warzones and other areas.
2) logistics will dictate which vehicles are used. If there isn't enough of a logistical infrastructure to support domestic 4x4's, groups will use those 4x4's that are supported in their locale (Toyota is usually the go-to choice for such scenarios).

perterra

Adventurer

Yep, hurt feelings.

Actually making claims that Toyota LC's are built "10x better" are purely subjective and have little to do with facts. What kind of facts could you even bring up to quantify a subjective statement like that?

25 year service life? Again, can someone at least provide some Toyota factory literature that supports that?

Domestic trucks historically were of inferior build quality compared to Japanese vehicles. That quality gap has largely disappeared in recent years, especially with the 3/4 and 1 ton segments. Those trucks are engineered to endure a lifetime of hard work and abuse, and, quite honestly, Toyota doesn't sell anything in North American that even comes close to those vehicles in terms of working capabilities. There are plenty of examples of 3/4 and 1 ton pickup's hitting 350k miles and beyond; and again many of these trucks endure hard, abusive conditions as work trucks, unlike most of Toyota's North American offerings which are sold and used as personal vehicles. I'm not saying that to disparage Toyota, but just pointing out that when you compare a Ford F250 with 200k to a Toyota LC 200 with 200k, one vehicle has likely seen much more abuse than the other (which means one will likely be more worn out than the other). Vehicle use and maintenance being equal, the newer domestic pickup's hold up quite well relative to Toyota's, IMHO.

As for the point about how most overseas contractors and agencies use non-domestic products:
1) that's not necessarily true. I've seen plenty of domestic 4x4's overseas, in warzones and other areas.
2) logistics will dictate which vehicles are used. If there isn't enough of a logistical infrastructure to support domestic 4x4's, groups will use those 4x4's that are supported in their locale (Toyota is usually the go-to choice for such scenarios).

All great points, but you're comparing two completely different type of uses. No one is trying to recommend a Land Cruiser (or Toyota Pickup) for a work truck hauling heavy loads. American trucks will always have Toyota beat, hands down. And the new ones are quite luxurious as well.

The original topic was for overlanding, spending a majority of it's time hauling a family OFF road. Can the 250 do that? Sure. Was that what it was designed for? Not really. Historically, the Land Cruiser was designed for that. As of recent, both vehicles may be starting to blend together in that regard, but that really hasn't been the case up until recently.

If you have such a problem with the whole "10x" numbers I was casually throwing out earlier to explain a point, find me ANY American sold vehicle in the last 20 years that bas been as overbuilt, luxurious, and reliable as a Land Cruiser that would be able to be driven offroad for it's entire service life.

How many of those do you see with 2,3, or 400,000 miles that are still being purchased as of this year, and then immediately being driven hard or off-road like all the cruisers on MUD are. I really haven't seen any competitors mentioned so far, just a bunch of whining about Land Cruiser owners overhyping their vehicles despite decades of evidence of quality and performance. I mean, there is a difference between being a fanboy of a 350z vs. a GTR. These aren't Toyota Highlander owners claiming their vehicles are the ultimate glamper 4x4, they are Land Cruiser owners.

They at least have some real facts to back up their fanboyishness.

Have you driven and worked on a 17 year old Land Cruiser? For being a glorified soccer mom SUV it certainly rides better than a majority of the SUVs coming out today. The parts and materials used are no where near the junk on a majority of the vehicles today.

There's nothing I can really say to change your opinion, so all I can say is stop caring so much. They aren't half as bad as Jeep JK owners :D

Outwardbound

Observer
I know of a way to solve this debate. Go out and drive your vehicles, do some exploring, see the world and the stop this debate which at this point has spiraled needlessly out of control. The more you're put in nature, the less you're on your computer arguing about a truck versus and SUV.

Happy trails.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Dalko43

Explorer
The original topic was for overlanding, spending a majority of it's time hauling a family OFF road. Can the 250 do that? Sure. Was that what it was designed for? Not really. Historically, the Land Cruiser was designed for that. As of recent, both vehicles may be starting to blend together in that regard, but that really hasn't been the case up until recently.

The LC wasn't specifically designed for overlanding; it's a solid platform that can serve as an overland rig. The same applies for other pickup's and SUV's. And believe it or not, there are many overlanders who prefer 3/4 ton's for their added utility, especially when it comes to carrying a bed camper or heavy payloads. You should take some time to step out of your Toyota bubble and go converse with some overlanders in the Domestic and Full-sized section; apparently none of them got the memo that their vehicles aren't well suited to overlanding.

If you have such a problem with the whole "10x" numbers I was casually throwing out earlier to explain a point, find me ANY American sold vehicle in the last 20 years that bas been as overbuilt, luxurious, and reliable as a Land Cruiser that would be able to be driven offroad for it's entire service life.

My problem with the 10x number is that you're claiming it's fact. How do you even begin to verify an opinionated statement like that? These are the types of shallow, mindless arguments that fanboys tend to make.

All of those other subjective judgments (in bold) will vary from one person to the next. The newer domestic pickup's are very well built and quite luxurious, by truck standards, IMHO. They also are designed for much higher workloads than your average Toyota vehicle, because they are first and foremost work vehicles. I'm stating my view on this, and there is no point in arguing over personal opinions. But I will say that Chrysler makes the only two 4x4 vehicles in North America with solid front and rear axles and locking differentials (Power Wagon and Wrangler); in my mind, that counts for a lot as an overland-oriented vehicle. Toyota's LC lineup is good, but it doesn't have those features from the factory, at least not in North America.

How many of those do you see with 2,3, or 400,000 miles that are still being purchased as of this year, and then immediately being driven hard or off-road like all the cruisers on MUD are. I really haven't seen any competitors mentioned so far, just a bunch of whining about Land Cruiser owners overhyping their vehicles despite decades of evidence of quality and performance. I mean, there is a difference between being a fanboy of a 350z vs. a GTR. These aren't Toyota Highlander owners claiming their vehicles are the ultimate glamper 4x4, they are Land Cruiser owners.

They at least have some real facts to back up their fanboyishness.

This just proves my point. You talk about how LC vehicles are better than their domestic counterparts, which is a subjective statement in and of itself, and your primary reference for that "fact" are the anecdotal experiences of members on a LC-focused forum. I'm not seeing any facts here. You really need to get out of your Toyota bubble and learn to appreciate that there are other vehicles when it comes to overlanding.

I don't think anyone here is whining about or deriding the LC; any derogatory tone that you can detect on my part is directed purely at some of the LC owners who get a little full of themselves.

And by the way, if you want to give some facts, start with giving a link to a Toyota website or document that specifically states that LC's have a 25 year service life. I'm amazed by how much I've seen that "fact" regurgitated here and elsewhere, and yet for all of my google searching, I've never seen it in Toyota's own literature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94