2017 4runner v 2017 Landcruiser

ChrisN

If you spend a bit of time in countries with "undeveloped infrastructure", you begin to see that there are two different classes of vehicles that Toyota designs and manufactures. It's the famous Hilux vs. Tacoma difference.

The Hilux is a truck designed to be rattled, banged, and beaten for many years. In return, for the price point, it's impossible to provide insulative mounting and advanced materials. The sum of the parts is an incredibly hardy Hilux that rides rough, makes an enormous amount of noise inside, and doesn't operate smoothly. "Materials quality" inside is a swath of plastic, plastic, cloth and more plastic.

The Tacoma is a truck designed for what Toyota calls "Improved infrastructure". The ride is more smooth, the interior is quiet, and the drivetrain is refined. The downside is that a new Tacoma would not last well in Uraguay or Costa Rica.

The Landcruiser is designed to meet the durabilty requirements of "RoW" (rest-of-world) AND also deliver a smooth ride, quiet operation, and nice materials. That requires a very expensive set of parts and materials. I believe the 4Runner is a "Improved Infrastructure" truck, and is build like the Tacoma.

Arktikos

Explorer
If you spend a bit of time in countries with "undeveloped infrastructure", you begin to see that there are two different classes of vehicles that Toyota designs and manufactures. It's the famous Hilux vs. Tacoma difference...

The Brian894x4 website describes the difference as follows.

(The current generation Hilux, first introduced in 1998, has body panels that are very
similier to the North American Tacoma, but rest of the suspension and frame are identical
to the North American market '86-'95 Toyota 4x4.)

So Hilux has a heavier frame and stronger suspension than Tacoma. Toyota prioritizes towing ability and ride quality for American customers.
Of course the newer 4Runners and Land Cruisers found in the US both have rack and pinion steering, which is not considered ideal for the rougher use found overseas.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
The Landcruiser is designed to meet the durabilty requirements of "RoW" (rest-of-world) AND also deliver a smooth ride, quiet operation, and nice materials. That requires a very expensive set of parts and materials. I believe the 4Runner is a "Improved Infrastructure" truck, and is build like the Tacoma.
We're talking about the 4runner and land cruiser, not the tacoma and hilux.

The 4runner is basically the lc150, and we are comparing it to the lc200. Why make an analogy?

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
I spotted this article way back when I was researching buying a 4runner (limited, full time 4wd for a daily driver in Canadian winters):

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/why-the-toyota-land-cruiser-is-so-expensive-1715003811

Take it with a grain of salt like anything else on the internet, but some neat info, just one point for example:

All Land Cruisers are built around the concept of a 25 year service life and that means more expensive and durable components. For example, the windshield is 2mm thicker than standard Toyota and the entire exhaust is stainless steel and double thick for corrosion protection and no warping/cracking when you dunk it in water hot.

Article was also posted on this forum here buy gets OT later in the thread ;)

Last edited:
The Brian894x4 website describes the difference as follows.

(The current generation Hilux, first introduced in 1998, has body panels that are very
similier to the North American Tacoma, but rest of the suspension and frame are identical
to the North American market '86-'95 Toyota 4x4.)

So Hilux has a heavier frame and stronger suspension than Tacoma. Toyota prioritizes towing ability and ride quality for American customers.
Of course the newer 4Runners and Land Cruisers found in the US both have rack and pinion steering, which is not considered ideal for the rougher use found overseas.

Then why is my wife's 2016 4Runner only rated to tow 5,000 lbs?

JakeH

Adventurer
I find it hilarious that yall are comparing the 2 most over built & over priced vehicles in America, both of which have reliability reputations beyond question. Nobody is wrong here, but...ONLY ON EXPO!

Dalko43

Explorer

To be honest, that sounds to me like you're describing the LC70, not the LC200. There is a definite split in the landcruiser lineup between more utilitarian and robust models (like the LC70) and the more comfort-oriented models (like the LC200 and LC Prado).

texascrane

Adventurer
Interesting and thoughtful input thank you. Owning both vehicles definitely adds perspective.

A few thoughts, using your example of the Toyota rear diff.

4runner 8.2" vs Land Cruiser 9.5" = 1.3" difference, or 15.8% bigger.

Nice, but in a truck that is 22% heavier does that 15.8% bigger diff really mean it's stronger?

Wouldn't a truck that 22% heavier need approximately 22% beefier parts to maintain the same strength?

It would be a 15.8% difference if you were talking about a circle. Given that a differential is roughly a sphere, you're looking at a 55% increase in volume going from a 8.2" to a 9.5"

Edit: Actually it's not even a 15.8% difference if you were talking about a circle, either. It's a 34% increase.

Last edited:

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
It would be a 15.8% difference if you were talking about a circle. Given that a differential is roughly a sphere, you're looking at a 55% increase in volume going from a 8.2" to a 9.5"

Edit: Actually it's not even a 15.8% difference if you were talking about a circle, either. It's a 34% increase.

Good point :victory:

bmw635

Observer
Here's the facts from my own experiences.

1- 4R vs Tundra vs Cruiser ( dent on lift gate) https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/land-cruiser-tough.823455/

2- I've built custom BMW engines, restored BMW , working on a Porsche, almost rebuilt the entire 80 Cruiser and bought a 100 Cruiser to upgrade. For sure the metal on Cruiser is stronger, tougher than Porsche, BMW, and Lexus. I maintained all my cars myself so there's nothing I don't touch or see.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/while-at-it-with-engine-rebuild-question.787268/page-2

3-I know this is not same as 4R comparison but just my own observation and preferences. After having the 100 for 6 weeks, I decided to keep the 80 and letting the 100 go. I doubt the 100 will survive this swim that's why I am keeping the 80.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LC5ld79joIA

Last edited:

bmw635

Observer
LOL, Do you do a lot of river crossings like that in Orange County?

I plan to go Alaska, S. America , and all over Baja. Got lots of time to put lots miles on these trucks that's why the 80 is easier to take to 3rd world countries and take up any challenge than a complex electronic trucks.

Can't find the video on Expo but a 201x Tacoma crossing river in AZ shorted out the electronics, then stuck in the river , totaling the truck.

Dalko43

Explorer
I plan to go Alaska, S. America , and all over Baja. Got lots of time to put lots miles on these trucks that's why the 80 is easier to take to 3rd world countries and take up any challenge than a complex electronic trucks.

Doesn't the LC80, at least the US version, have electronic management for its engine as well?

Doesn't the LC80, at least the US version, have electronic management for its engine as well?

Lets not bring facts into this. Posting facts doesn't make you seem as ************ when posting a video of a (most likely) mechanical diesel LC driving through a river to tell everyone why your decision on vehicles is the correct one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles