2017 4runner v 2017 Landcruiser

Upland80

Adventurer
Lets not bring facts into this. Posting facts doesn't make you seem as ************ when posting a video of a (most likely) mechanical diesel LC driving through a river to tell everyone why your decision on vehicles is the correct one.

Hey...facts are fun killers! :coffee:

MetalDog

Observer
Cross Posting this as I thought it may be of interest in both locations.

Was looking at Toyota.com and put together this comparison from their respective vehicle specs.

View attachment 383795

No offense, but seems like a silly comparison. It's like comparing a C series and S series Mercedes, or a Boxter to a 911. The LC is a million + mile, hand built vehicle that is built like a tank. The 4 Runner is awesome, but in a different league. All you have to do is crawl underneath both vehicles to see the difference. With that said... $40K buys LOTS of repairs and goodies. = D

Dalko43

Explorer
No offense, but seems like a silly comparison. It's like comparing a C series and S series Mercedes, or a Boxter to a 911. The LC is a million + mile, hand built vehicle that is built like a tank. The 4 Runner is awesome, but in a different league. All you have to do is crawl underneath both vehicles to see the difference. With that said... $40K buys LOTS of repairs and goodies. = D

Go check out the collaboration videos that Ronny Dahl and Andrew White did:

I forget which one, but in one of them Ronny mentions that the LC200 can quickly surpass its GVWR if the owner isn't careful with the armor and modifications that are put on it. The two make a point of saying that weight in general is an issue all overlanders should be aware of regardless of their vehicle, but the fact that Ronny mentioned the LC 200 specifically was interesting. I think that here in North America we view the LC 200 as the top of the LC hierarchy, while overseas it is viewed as a bit less heavy-duty compared to other offerings.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader

hahahahaha

Those are facts STRAIGHT from toyota.com.

Does the Land Cruiser have more capacity? Yes, in towing. No in GVWR (unless you are willing to roll above GVWR, then yes, probably)

Is the land cruiser more efficient? No

Is the land cruiser more powerful? Yes

Is the land cruiser more heavy duty? Yes.

Will the Land Cruiser last longer? Probably. I'm on 11 years with my 4runner with zero failures. Would a land cruiser be equal? Probably. I would like to see some land cruiser owners who have been driving their trucks for more than 10 years speak up here.

Is the land cruiser worth the 100% price premium? Probably not for most users.

The consensus seems to be that a land cruiser is built for 25 years. Where it gets interesting is that most LC owners on this board seem to buy in 5-12 years into the life cycle. So at the point the value proposition is different.

When my 4runner starts to show signs of wear, my next vehicle will likely be a new 4runner, maybe a used LC or Gx460. Not quite sure.

At what point is heavy duty just heavy?

Do you wear calf high steel toe boots during a 10k?

Last edited:

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Go check out the collaboration videos that Ronny Dahl and Andrew White did:

I forget which one, but in one of them Ronny mentions that the LC200 can quickly surpass its GVWR if the owner isn't careful with the armor and modifications that are put on it. The two make a point of saying that weight in general is an issue all overlanders should be aware of regardless of their vehicle, but the fact that Ronny mentioned the LC 200 specifically was interesting. I think that here in North America we view the LC 200 as the top of the LC hierarchy, while overseas it is viewed as a bit less heavy-duty compared to other offerings.

Also noted at 2:00 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCl3VGUwYRk

RoyJ

Adventurer
It would be a 15.8% difference if you were talking about a circle. Given that a differential is roughly a sphere, you're looking at a 55% increase in volume going from a 8.2" to a 9.5"

Edit: Actually it's not even a 15.8% difference if you were talking about a circle, either. It's a 34% increase.

Good point.

Furthermore, people should realize chassis strength isn't always relative to GVW, sometimes it's absolute. Case in point, in relative terms, a Mini Cooper should be just as strong as an Oshkosh HEMTT. Can we say they're the same strength wise?

No, because many things, like contact with foreign objects, exert absolute force. Hit a 6" tree stump, the control arms would be ripped off the Mini, whereas on the Oshkosh it barely scratches the paint on the axle tube.

Fully laden, sometimes over GVW (let's be honest, most rigs here are over), on a rough trail, that's where a LC's chassis strength shine.

Upland80

Adventurer
hahahahaha

Will the Land Cruiser last longer? Probably. I'm on 11 years with my 4runner with zero failures. Would a land cruiser be equal? Probably. I would like to see some land cruiser owners who have been driving their trucks for more than 10 years speak up here.

Hey...mine's going on year 23!

2016-06-27%2014.38.02_zpskqe6tta4.jpg

Dalko43

Explorer
Fully laden, sometimes over GVW (let's be honest, most rigs here are over), on a rough trail, that's where a LC's chassis strength shine.

Manufacturers make the GVWR based on a few factors: brakes, frame, engine, overall chassis design. Regardless of the vehicle you're driving, it's probably a good idea to do your best to stay at or below that rating.

Last edited:

krax

Adventurer
Manufacturers make the GVWR based on a few factors: brakes, frame, engine, overall chassis design. Regardless of the vehicle you're driving, it's probably a good idea to do your best to stay at or below that rating.

Truth. At the same time, there are ways to manipulate some of those factors. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to calculate what effect some mods have on GVWR, if any. It would seem that even though adding bumpers and armor cuts into the manufacturer's GVWR, when you upgrade suspension, ugrade brakes, and swap for higher-than-factory rated tires, you should be able to reclaim some of that number.

RoyJ

Adventurer

Totally. Just saying, if we did a survey, I bet over 75% of members' rigs are over weight.

I'm one of the few that chooses to go with 0 armor, no winch, and still have trouble staying under.

If you're over GVW, then the heavier built truck would retain a higher margin of safety.

Upland80

Adventurer
4 runner Pro seems to be a quite capable rig right out of the box...I'm gonna have to take a closer look.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles