2017 4runner v 2017 Landcruiser

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Thanks for the fast response,

That's interesting...

Funny here it doesn't seem it's much of a concern with larger SUVs, I do wish folks would also upgrade their brakes at some point.

Makes perfect sense though that the payload suffers for the 200 B/C the base weight went up. Standard KDSS and AHC correct?

I know I recently removed my double 2nd row seat from my 100 before going on vacation to the beach to save some weight. Good Lord that seat has got to be over 100 pounds. I am 6'4" and about 225 and had to muscle the crud out of it to get it into the shed.

So what do the upgrade kits for the 200 down there consist of?

MTSN

Explorer
Thanks for the fast response,

That's interesting...

Funny here it doesn't seem it's much of a concern with larger SUVs, I do wish folks would also upgrade their brakes at some point.

Makes perfect sense though that the payload suffers for the 200 B/C the base weight went up. Standard KDSS and AHC correct?

I know I recently removed my double 2nd row seat from my 100 before going on vacation to the beach to save some weight. Good Lord that seat has got to be over 100 pounds. I am 6'4" and about 225 and had to muscle the crud out of it to get it into the shed.

So what do the upgrade kits for the 200 down there consist of?

AHC is standard on all LX570s, but they did not get KDSS. KDSS was standard on all 200 series LCs, but they did not get AHC.

Andosan

AHC is standard on all LX570s, but they did not get KDSS. KDSS was standard on all 200 series LCs, but they did not get AHC.

Not quite the case in Australia. There are four spec levels of LC200 in Australia, from top to bottom they are Sahara, VX, GXL and GX. Sahara and VX come standard with KDSS. Petrol GXL's have KDSS standard, but the diesel doesn't although it's a factory option. Not sure if it's available on the GX.

MTSN

Explorer
Not quite the case in Australia. There are four spec levels of LC200 in Australia, from top to bottom they are Sahara, VX, GXL and GX. Sahara and VX come standard with KDSS. Petrol GXL's have KDSS standard, but the diesel doesn't although it's a factory option. Not sure if it's available on the GX.

I should have clarified that I was referring to US spec vehicles only.

chadwicksavage

Adventurer
I understand the desire for comfort, but I will never understand the ability to exceed GVWR. There are plenty of people who go for 1-2 weeks with what they can carry on their back. I think 80 lbs is enough food, shelter, and gear to get someone through 2 weeks. If you want to be extra comfy, double that. Still way under. Even for 2 people.

4Beast

Observer
I understand the desire for comfort, but I will never understand the ability to exceed GVWR. There are plenty of people who go for 1-2 weeks with what they can carry on their back. I think 80 lbs is enough food, shelter, and gear to get someone through 2 weeks. If you want to be extra comfy, double that. Still way under. Even for 2 people.

If you don't understand it, it's because you don't want to understand it. Weight can add up quickly, and it is a matter of preferences. My cast iron griddle and frying pan probably weight over 20 pounds by themselves. My recovery gear, including extra bow shackles, blocks, etc probably weighs an extra 20 or more, that's easily over half your projected 80 pounds, and that's not including my compressor. Two Scepter cans of water is over 80 pounds. An extra jerry can of fuel is 50 pounds. Rooftop tent, 120 pounds, winch, 80 pounds, bumpers and armor: couple hundred pounds, etc, etc. Can you do minimalist camping? Of course, but I am not interested in compromising safety, redundancy and comfort. My days of cutting the handle off my toothbrush and taking the cardboard roll out of the toilet paper to save weight are long past, and I love that I can throw anything I want into the cruiser, go 80 on the highway to get to somewhere remote, and then go wherever I want once I get there without giving a second thought to how much my payload its. Peace of mind is another kind of luxury that a Cruiser provides.

chadwicksavage

Adventurer
I promise you it's not because I don't want to understand it. My thoughts are that people take too much because they have the ability to purchase and carry too much.

Rooftop Tents I've never been on board with. Maybe I'm still young my hips don't mind the ground under a good tarp. But sure to each his own that's totally personal preference.

10 gallons of water will always seem excessive to me. There are definitely points to fill up unless you're desert running and there's plenty of aquamira, iodine, and filter choices.

I would never sacrifice safety or comfort while minimalist camping. I wouldn't even consider 80 lbs minimalist, that's a full exped kit. Minimalist is when I got 60 miles in 2 days with an 18 lb pack.

No one takes the cardboard out of tp rolls, we roll up balls of ferns in the south, use large leaf alder in the northwoods, and fistfuls of snow in the mountains, then pack it out in little blue opaque bags.

My point is...the more you know the less you need. No that is not a direct shot at anyone here or even a tangental shot, it's something we used to say when I guided 2 week backpacking, climbing, and canoeing expeditions. I just believe that every driver has the ability to remain below GVWR without sacrificing anything except maybe 10 minutes to refill water, that extra pan they never use (not saying you don't use both of yours), only having 1 knife for cooking instead of a chef's set, etc. We take a bunch of cool gear because manufacturer's offer a bunch of cool gear. I used to do it backpacking and finally started making a checklist of gear, marking what I used, and after a few trips of no use, it left my pack unless it was a first aid kit or some safeguard. It's possible, I just think we should spend more time reevaluating our needs vs our wants especially when it comes to something that determines how well our vehicle performs or stops.

CSG

Explorer
I promise you it's not because I don't want to understand it. My thoughts are that people take too much because they have the ability to purchase and carry too much.

Rooftop Tents I've never been on board with. Maybe I'm still young my hips don't mind the ground under a good tarp. But sure to each his own that's totally personal preference.

10 gallons of water will always seem excessive to me. There are definitely points to fill up unless you're desert running and there's plenty of aquamira, iodine, and filter choices.

I would never sacrifice safety or comfort while minimalist camping. I wouldn't even consider 80 lbs minimalist, that's a full exped kit. Minimalist is when I got 60 miles in 2 days with an 18 lb pack.

No one takes the cardboard out of tp rolls, we roll up balls of ferns in the south, use large leaf alder in the northwoods, and fistfuls of snow in the mountains, then pack it out in little blue opaque bags.

My point is...the more you know the less you need. No that is not a direct shot at anyone here or even a tangental shot, it's something we used to say when I guided 2 week backpacking, climbing, and canoeing expeditions. I just believe that every driver has the ability to remain below GVWR without sacrificing anything except maybe 10 minutes to refill water, that extra pan they never use (not saying you don't use both of yours), only having 1 knife for cooking instead of a chef's set, etc. We take a bunch of cool gear because manufacturer's offer a bunch of cool gear. I used to do it backpacking and finally started making a checklist of gear, marking what I used, and after a few trips of no use, it left my pack unless it was a first aid kit or some safeguard. It's possible, I just think we should spend more time reevaluating our needs vs our wants especially when it comes to something that determines how well our vehicle performs or stops.

Where's the "like" button? Couldn't agree more. While it depends on where you go and for how long, most people overpack like crazy and then they're staying at developed campgrounds most of the time on top of it! I was chided on Mud for talking about minimalist camping. I've been doing this in one form or another since the late 60's and have different views than most here. The old saying about less is more couldn't be more true when it comes to camping out of a vehicle.

hoser

Explorer
I would say most of the folks that are over GVWR are because of off-road gear like bumpers, sliders, oversized tires, winch, tools, recovery gear and spare parts. That could add 5-700 lbs, easily. If you stick to fire roads and such, you could save a lot of weight.

Dalko43

Explorer
I would say most of the folks that are over GVWR are because of off-road gear like bumpers, sliders, oversized tires, winch, tools, recovery gear and spare parts. That could add 5-700 lbs, easily. If you stick to fire roads and such, you could save a lot of weight.

You can still enjoy hardcore jeep trails without maxing out your GVWR. Everyone needs to do their own analysis on what gear and modifications they truly need for the type of driving they plan on doing. For some a winch, bumper, and full armor may be logical because of the areas they are exploring; for others, such gear might be an overkill.

I do agree with chadwicksavage and CSG; less is more when it comes to overlanding (bring what you need, not necessarily what you want). I think a lot of overlanders buy and add gear to their rigs just because it looks cool. There really is no reason to be over your vehicle's GVWR, irregardless of if it's a LandCruiser or something else. If you're that heavy, you should find ways to decrease the weight or get another vehicle.

Last edited:

perterra

Adventurer
You can still enjoy hardcore jeep trails without maxing out your GVWR. Everyone needs to do their own analysis on what gear and modifications they truly need for the type of driving they plan on doing. For some a winch, bumper, and full armor may be logical because of the areas they are exploring; for others, such gear might be an overkill.

I do agree with chadwicksavage and CSG; less is more when it comes to overlanding (bring what you need, not necessarily what you want). I think a lot of overlanders buy and add gear to their rigs just because it looks cool. There really is no reason to be over your vehicle's GVWR, irregardless of it's LandCruiser or something else. If you're that heavy, you should find ways to decrease the weight or get another vehicle.

Why does it matter to anyone if someone wants to take too much with them. What is truly needed for my enjoyment is going to be over kill for some, under kill for others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles