2017 4runner v 2017 Landcruiser

PaulyWalnuts

Why does it matter to anyone if someone wants to take too much with them. What is truly needed for my enjoyment is going to be over kill for some, under kill for others.

This.

Lots of posturing in this thread. Take whatever you want when you go into the bush. If you want to take a 10# sack, go ahead. If you want to take your Keurig, go ahead. Don't let the the internet-camping-SME tell you what to and what not to bring.

chadwicksavage

Adventurer
Well in theory, exceeding gvwr makes your vehicle less safe to drive. Brakes aren't as effective if not upgraded, more strain on the frame, etc. Operating a vehicle less safely could in fact effect others. Maybe braking distance is misjudged. Maybe it's raining. Maybe lots of things. Maybe nothing happens at all. Does that make it ok? I don't know. Maybe I drive home drunk tonight. Maybe someone gets hurt. Maybe someone doesn't. Still against the rules for a reason.

Basically there's a simple system in place to make sure your vehicle operates safely on the road and part of that is following manufacturer's recommendations to an extent. If you are running over GVWR because of your off road gear, armor, bumpers, winch, etc my guess is you don't take that bumper off for trips to the mall or running your kids to school and operate that overloaded vehicle as overloaded most of the time.

But sure take it into the bush. Bend the rules sometimes. Just not all the time. I'm not saying carry a #10 pack though that's possible. I'm saying don't sacrifice safety for the possibility of looking cool. Or being able to make coffee in your keurig while you cook bacon and eggs in your skottle. Instead of waiting an extra 5 minutes to use smaller, lighter gear.

From the latest expo article:

Despite how useful many of these products are though, there's one investment which can improve your vehicle's performance more than any modification on the market, and it's probably the last thing on your list: training.

Sure, I know it's hard to say, “I'll get that new bumper later,” or “Those upgraded shocks can wait,” but I also know that no vehicle modification will be worth as much on the trail as proper driving technique,

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Why does it matter to anyone if someone wants to take too much with them. What is truly needed for my enjoyment is going to be over kill for some, under kill for others.

Well, if you're taking so much to the point that your over GVWR, then you're starting to compromise your safety. As well, more weight = less fuel efficiency; we're already somewhat hindered by the limited range of the gasoline engines in these Toyota's, so having less weight will help in that regard.

I'm not telling other people what they should and shouldn't take. I am noting there is a lot of hype out there; people see a fully kitted-out overland vehicle on a youtube channel or at an overland expo, and they think that's the kind of vehicle they need for their own weekend adventures. I don't buy into that logic.

I've really enjoyed the 4runner owners getting their jimmies rustled in this thread. 10/10

I think Landcruisers are great vehicles; I think some of the owners are dedicated fanboys.

Some of them get easily offended when they see an opinion that's different from their own and some tend to promote "facts" that have no reference. Popular ones are: LC's have a 25 year service life; the LC 80 has a transmission out of a bus; the LC 80's inline 6 gasser is a million mile engine. I've still yet to see a Toyota document that supports any of those claims.

Some of those LC owners also like to categorize and divide Toyota owners into sub groups (LC owners, 4runner owners, Tacoma owners, ect.). I don't know why they insist on doing that as it comes across as elitist and snobbish; I prefer to think that all of us Toyota owners are in the same club, but that's just me.

Last edited:
Some of those LC owners also like to categorize and divide Toyota owners into sub groups (LC owners, 4runner owners, Tacoma owners, ect.). I don't know why they insist on doing that as it comes across as elitist and snobbish; I prefer to think that all of us Toyota owners are in the same club, but that's just me.

That's the exact same thing 4R and Taco owners do as well, it's not just LC owners. And I mostly hang out with Taco and 4R owners.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Ok what about F250 FX4 vs TLC200

Lets say one has got many to pick a new car for solely overland/expedition.
Which on is better?

F250 FX4 vs TLC200

Solid axles vs only rear solid axles
locking rear diff vs no factory lockers
chose between gas or diesel vs only gas
60000 vs 110000
higher hauling and towing capacity

Now I know it's Toyota, quality, history etc but at the end of the day why one would pick a TLC over a 2017 F250 FX4 ?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

Which on is better?

F250 FX4 vs TLC200

60000 vs 110000

Now I know it's Toyota, quality, history etc but at the end of the day why one would pick a TLC over a 2017 F250 FX4 ?

Apples and oranges. Two different vehicles. Compare the cruiser to another suv. Not a 3/4 ton truck.

Which on is better?

F250 FX4 vs TLC200

60000 vs 110000

Because one is built 10x better than the other.

perterra

Adventurer

Which on is better?

F250 FX4 vs TLC200

60000 vs 110000

I'd take the F-250 honestly. Quiet, competent with excellent road manners. I have a Tacoma, but the Ford is a very nice truck

perterra

Adventurer
Cool . What’s it not capable of?

Hauling a half a cord of wood, 7 or 8 oxygen bottles, a Bobcat welder or a 4 wheeler. Like I said, I'm a truck guy and a 3/4 ton is much more useful. Cruisers are great, as are 4 Runners and Tacomas. My Tacoma has been faultess, 178,000 miles and nothing but a power steering pump. But my work truck is a Ford F-150 4 door, and I cant really find fault with it at all. My next purchase may well be a F series.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Hauling a half a cord of wood, 7 or 8 oxygen bottles, a Bobcat welder or a 4 wheeler. Like I said, I'm a truck guy and a 3/4 ton is much more useful. Cruisers are great, as are 4 Runners and Tacomas. My Tacoma has been faultess, 178,000 miles and nothing but a power steering pump. But my work truck is a Ford F-150 4 door, and I cant really find fault with it at all. My next purchase may well be a F series.

Get a trailer

perterra

Adventurer
Get a trailer

Got a trailer, it's a pain in the ***. I really dont see anything a cruiser will do that cant be done in a 4 door truck.

I like the Cruiser, but I dont see it in mystical proportions. It's as another poster wrote earlier, you have to ask yourself what you really "need". I dont need a cruiser, dont really "need" anything other than my Tacoma and my work truck is issued to me for personal use as well as work, so I dont really even need the Tacoma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior