Fuel storage

gwittman

Adventurer
I recently bought what was called a used NATO jerry can that was used to carry diesel fuel. I was planning to use it for gasoline and told the seller so. He said it would be OK. I noticed some foam stuck on each side of the can and was told it was to keep the cans from rattling. When I got it home I began cleaning it up and removed the foam pieces. Under one of the was a stamping in the metal that said "NOT FOR FUEL USE".
I contacted the seller about it and he is trying to tell me that is normal for fuel containers. I find that hard to believe and feel he was trying to deceive me. I have two old style jerry cans that I use for carrying fuel and the don't have "NOT FOR FUEL USE" stamped on them. Does anyone use a fuel can with "NOT FOR FUEL USE" stamped on it?

Last edited:

shmabs

Explorer
Do you have any pics of the container? I would be willing to bet it has to do with the fact that many fuel containers aren't CARB compliant and as such, can't be sold for fuel use. The idea is that the distributor takes a good fuel can, marks it not for fuel use and then can legally sell it in California. Make sense?

gwittman

Adventurer
Good point shmabs. I did not think of that. I do have a picture of the can.
Foam from top 1.jpg
Verstad, I think you are right about Scepter making only plastic goods. The seller was also selling some plastic Scepter water cans and I accidentally included Scepter in my description erroneously. I will correct that.

The reason it was stamped not for fuel use was so that it can be past off as an utility can. It is a CARB and EPA thing. Look inside the can it should be coated if so you should be good to go. You might have to replace the gasket to a Viton type gasket. They are plentiful on the internet. Some imported cans come stamped like so they can pass U.S. Customs. At one time Customs was blocking all shipments of these cans. When I say imported I do not necessarily mean China. Some good cans come from UK and Europe.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Do you have any pics of the container? I would be willing to bet it has to do with the fact that many fuel containers aren't CARB compliant and as such, can't be sold for fuel use. The idea is that the distributor takes a good fuel can, marks it not for fuel use and then can legally sell it in California. Make sense?
Was just gonna say this. That is clearly a fuel can, so the "not for fuel" stamping is probably to cover their a@@ under CA law since the can is not CARB compliant.
Just like back in the 70's when head shops sold bongs and hash pipes. "Not to be used for illegal substances." Uh huh, yeah. :rolleyes:

gwittman

Adventurer
Thanks everybody for the information. I feel a lot better now about it being able to be used for carrying gasoline. It does have a coating on the inside. I was concerned that gasoline may have a tendency to dissolve or degrade it in some way. Gasoline tends to have better solvent power than diesel. I will buy new gaskets. I had planned to buy new gaskets for it anyway before I discovered the warning stamped in the metal. They don't leak now but I want to have spares in case they do shows signs of leaking.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Was just gonna say this. That is clearly a fuel can, so the "not for fuel" stamping is probably to cover their a@@ under CA law since the can is not CARB compliant.
Just like back in the 70's when head shops sold bongs and hash pipes. "Not to be used for illegal substances." Uh huh, yeah. :rolleyes:

That's exactly what's going on. Marketed as a water container, it's a euro-NATO MFC in every other respect, except the stamped warning. Some were even shipped in / sold with nothing but a sticker advising against fuel use.

OP, you got a bargain, it's a working fuel can despite onorous federal regulation. Enjoy it.

And OP, I'd suggest you get some nice Fuel stickers and plaster them over that stamped warning, to keep the busybodies at bay.

andytruck

Observer
I have had luck making gasket out of cork gasket sheets from auto parts store. I use diesel.
and, yes, that is a welded gerry can, fine for any fuel.

Kevin108

Explorer
I see you are in CA. Labeling NOT FOR FUEL USE lets them still sell NATO-style WATER cans...that enterprising users, unjustly subjected to the awful CARB-compliant cans, have used to carry other liquids as well.

XJINTX

Explorer
So you can't buy CARB non-compliant in CA but... I'm traveling there soon. If my cans are not CARB compliant can I use them? If not what is the fine? Mine are Diesel

andytruck

Observer
California should recognize the laws of other states. So if it is allowed in your state then you can drive through their's. Or at least that is how it is with other laws But I am saying this just as a reference for a starting point to research it. Though this does not apply to things like radar detectors.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So you can't buy CARB non-compliant in CA but... I'm traveling there soon. If my cans are not CARB compliant can I use them? If not what is the fine? Mine are Diesel
California should recognize the laws of other states. So if it is allowed in your state then you can drive through their's. Or at least that is how it is with other laws But I am saying this just as a reference for a starting point to research it. Though this does not apply to things like radar detectors.
It's been a few years since I've driven through CA, but I don't recall ever seeing any flying squads of CARB police pulling people over and inspecting their fuel cans for compliance. ;) And when you drive through the Ag inspection stations the only thing they want to know is if you are bringing any fruit in to the state.
So, yeah, you're good to go. The CARB law means that any retailer that sells gasoline containers can only sell those that comply with the law. It has nothing to do with what individuals can use on their personal vehicles.

rayra

Expedition Leader

Nobody's looking, nobody's checking, there is no statute / fine structure that I am aware of. Been in CA since this CARB BS started here, before it got inflicted nation-wide.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Thanks everybody for the information. I feel a lot better now about it being able to be used for carrying gasoline. It does have a coating on the inside. I was concerned that gasoline may have a tendency to dissolve or degrade it in some way. Gasoline tends to have better solvent power than diesel. I will buy new gaskets. I had planned to buy new gaskets for it anyway before I discovered the warning stamped in the metal. They don't leak now but I want to have spares in case they do shows signs of leaking.

You're fine, it's entirely a fiction to circumvent the egregious CARB restrictions. You got the kind of deal metal fuel can buyers WANT to find. At least the ones that think they have too much government in their lives. Enjoy using it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior