Which Garmin do you Recommend?

PDragon

Hi all,

I would like your opinion on what model of Garmin do you recommend. I'm looking for a model that can use external memory cards (to load different maps), and can be mounted on a dirt bike or snowmobile. It needs to be tough enough to survive the outdoors, hopefully with no touchscreen.

The reason it needs to be Garmin is that the gps maps I'll be using (Backroads Mapbooks in Canada) only work with Garmin devices. For the jeep, I use an Ipad Mini3 with Avenza PDF maps.

Thanks!

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Garmin Montana. I have 5 different GPS units but the Montana is my go-to whether it's in the Jeep, dirt bike or quad. I bought the Montana 600 when it first came out several years ago and it's been flawless. The whole Montana line has been updated in the last year and now works with the Russian GLONASS system as well as the USA system. The models differ only in whether they come with a camera or on-board maps or both. Whichever one you pick, also get the Rugged Mount cradle which will supply 12 volt power and securely hold the unit in place on your handlebars. You'll have to acquire and load your choice of maps onto the unit - no personal experience but everything I've read gives negative reviews to the pre-loaded maps if you buy your Montana that way. My bike with a Delorme PN-60 GPS on the left and the Garmin Montana on the right:

kb1ejh

I've been happy with the RINO's. The FRS/GMRS radio is built in and works rather well. I have it wired in to the vehicles with the power/data cable. If I need to get out with the radio and or GPS I just unplug the unit and away I go. Been using them for years, from the 130 up to the current 755t and have been quite happy with them and the improvements over the years. If you don't need comms then the Montana's may be a better choice with no protruding antennas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier