100 Series Question

el_taco

Hello all. I'm wanting to get a 100 series and have read about the differences from Slee and from different forums/posts.

I'm wanting the 98-99 MY with the rear factory locker but there aren't too much if any around my area.

I am considering the '00 and up but those do not have the locker, however are more plentiful around my area.

Question is, is the e-locker worth it to wait for one or just go with the '00 and up with the center lock?

And, how is that center diff lock like? characteristics and all?

I do have a mildly modded Tacoma with the e-locker rear and love it. Just want to know from the 100 guys if the locker was the deal breaker?

I know I can put in an ARB but if I can already have it from factory locked, I'd just go that route; also don't want to spend extra for every with the ARB (i.e. compressor and lines and install and all the stuff).

thank you all.

JohnnyS

Explorer
After having a few 100s I would say wait until you can afford a clean one with a 5 speed ('03-'07).
The ATRAC is really great and odds are you won't need a locker. However down the road if you decide you'd like one ARBs front and back are an awesome addition.

Cheers!

el_taco

What does the ATRAC do?

The wife has a 2012 corolla and it may have something similar, i think not sure; seems almost useless because well, i don't even know if it is or if it is not working. Sorry for the ignorance.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
A-TRAC is Toyota's off highway traction control. Your Taco may have it depending on year. If it was me given all the benefits to the 03+, if I was in your situation I'd probably skip the e-locker. If it's something that was easy to get, such as with the Tacoma where all you have to do is get a TRD Offroad, then fine.

From what I understand the 2003-2005 would be the sweet spot. Gets you an improved front diff, 5 speed auto but not the issue-prone VVT-i of the 2006+. Seems to me with the relatively weak front diff on the 98-99 trucks that you'd have to get an ARB anyway to reduce the risk of breaking it. At least with A-TRAC you won't be driving open diffs and a lot of people believe it's as good or better than lockers anyway.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
From what I understand the 2003-2005 would be the sweet spot. Seems to me with the relatively weak front diff on the 98-99 trucks that you'd have to get an ARB anyway to reduce the risk of breaking it.

I have a '99. I use the locker. If you can afford an ARB down the road, then it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me either way. There are a ton of people who say "you need the 5 speed, and pre 2000 front difs grenade, and model year 2000 trannies grenade" yada yada yada. They are ALL good. Just buy the best (lowest miles with best service history and least rust) you can afford. The rest is semantics. My 4 speed auto does 75 mph in comfort all day long, and my front dif handles ATV trails in the rocks with ease. I would argue that the extra money to buy a 5 speed truck pays for a hell of a lot of adventure!

altaboy

Observer
2004+: just be aware of the climate control/music/nav are super tightly integrated. No one to my knowledge has cracked that problem. They have relatively low failure rates, but it prevents easy updated music system which seems to be the big beef. Cruise (no pun) over to ih8tmud for further discussion.

Also, in a lot of areas of the country (like Socal), the lexus version is more plentiful/less expensive/lower wear (as in cruising the mall). Those have the AHC (height control) which is debated as far as reliability/payload. Again, mud is your friend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne