M1101 Trailer Project

dcarteaux

Wild Butch
Just got the M1101 for $1200 locally - not bad considering the durability of this rig.

Planning on installing a rooftop tent - just purchased an ARB III with annex. Cost + delivery (WA to IN) = $2100.

Looking to replace original wheels and tires, then just got a flat. Not sure the cause. Anyone know what to expect for repairs of the tire?
Replacement rims should be standard GM 8 lug x 6.5", but needs some back spacing (6" or so) to keep the wheel from sticking out. Anyone know of a specific model wheel that fits this requirement?

Cage - talked to a local fabricator with a good rep who told me he could fab what I wanted for about $1000. That is more than I want to spend (since the tent went over budget, so I decided on unistrut. So far, it is super solid and a very easy installation. Two bolts per upright through the side walls of the trailer (using the same 3/8" bolts that fit the rivnuts) keep it stable. Going to add two crossmembers tonight and that will make it even tighter. Recommend using the nylon collar unistrut nuts and not the spring nuts - they are easier to place and stay in place much better. Depending on the rooftop tent mounting requirements, I'll add some plywood decking to make it rock solid. See initial pix below. Will provide some closeups soon. Again, very easy yet solid installation and the unistrut makes it a cinch to connect with heavy duty hardware.

Future plans - some type of enclosure, roll-out kitchen shelf (have seen a couple here on EP that are great examples, so I will copy shamelessly), water tank, propane water heater (again, more shameless copying), and maybe some batteries. My most common camping area is at my property near the lake in the woods, and solar panels would be a waste. Might try a small wind turbine generator since the lake kicks up a pretty consistent breeze.

Attachments

• Trailer02sm.jpg
    Trailer02sm.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 95
  • Trailer01sm.jpg
    Trailer01sm.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 93

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Good start. I just bought an M101a2 and need to pick it up next week. Going to do something similar. You'll cry but mine cost me under $400 with all fees and taxes.

I sold my other small camping trailer, and applied the funds, so out even less than that.

I like the 1101's but the M101 was a better fit for my jeep. If i had a full size truck I definitely would have gone your way.

Good luck and look forward to the build.

BTW..my wife and family are all from Indiana.

dcarteaux

Wild Butch
M1101 Project

Good start. I just bought an M101a2 and need to pick it up next week. Going to do something similar. You'll cry but mine cost me under $400 with all fees and taxes.

I sold my other small camping trailer, and applied the funds, so out even less than that.

I like the 1101's but the M101 was a better fit for my jeep. If i had a full size truck I definitely would have gone your way.

Good luck and look forward to the build.

BTW..my wife and family are all from Indiana.

Ooof, what a deal. Still not crying about it, tho. It weighs about 1400# empty, and both of my cars can haul it easily (Pacifica @ 3500# and Acura MDX @ 5000#), so there is some wiggle room. Only issue is tongue height, but working on that a bit at a time with tires, tongue change, riser plate for trailer hitch, etc.

BTW, I am from Fort Wayne originally but now living in Bloomington. Cheers to your Hoosiers!

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Ooof, what a deal. Still not crying about it, tho. It weighs about 1400# empty, and both of my cars can haul it easily (Pacifica @ 3500# and Acura MDX @ 5000#), so there is some wiggle room. Only issue is tongue height, but working on that a bit at a time with tires, tongue change, riser plate for trailer hitch, etc.

BTW, I am from Fort Wayne originally but now living in Bloomington. Cheers to your Hoosiers!
Father in law is an IU grad. We have the big 10 network just to watch them....lol

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

dcarteaux

Wild Butch
The cage is finished. Heavy duty and solid. Sturdy. Lots of room for add-ons now. Cheap - unistrut rocks!

Attachments

• Trailer06sm.jpg
    Trailer06sm.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Trailer07sm.jpg
    Trailer07sm.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

dcarteaux

Wild Butch
Expecting the ARB III roof top tent to arrive this next week - that will be the next challenge, especially since it will no longer fit in the garage.

Got the wiring figured out fairly easily - replaced 24 vdc bulbs with 12 vdc, the rear ones being LEDs. Will eventually make them all LEDs, but no rush. Just have to run some additional wiring harness to reach the tongue and the 4-pin flat trailer connector. Using spade connectors with heat shrink - weatherproof but can still dsconnect as needed by just cutting the heat shrink off.

Looking for a drop-down pintle hitch to replace the standard one. Need a drop of about 6 inches, tho a little more might be nice. Saw one on a recent post somewhere. Anyone know a good source???

Shopping for replacement wheels has been way more difficult than expected. This is such a simple thing, but the local tire dealers don't seem to be up to the task. But one of the shops way out in the country said they could handle it just fine. I had not planned to tow the trailer that far, but them country boys seem to be willing to work like the townies don't. I will be selling the originals (good condition wheels, rubber is in excellent condition with about 90% tread) if anyone is interested.

Next steps -
1. Setting up brace/bracket for 20# propane (LP) tank in front right corner.
2. 15 gallon-ish water tank with pump for just front of center.
3. Small tankless water heater to be mounted on front wall center.
4. Two spare batteries wired up as backup, mounted just to the rear of the water tank (yeah, I know, but they will be contained in a weatherproof box).
5. Install weatherproof (NEMA) box for some switches, fuses/circuit breakers, and terminal strip).
6. Cut out front left section of wall for the slide out kitchen (sink, camp stove, storage box).
7. Find the right generator - I think the Champion 3100 with remote start will do the trick.

Always more details, but this is the outline for the next week or so.

dcarteaux

Wild Butch
Update - rack built with 12" vertical travel.

Just got done with the latest upgrade - traveling unistrut. The cage was too high for the garage, so we cut down the vertical struts. Should now clear the garage door, even with the 8" high ARB III roof top tent (to be delivered Tuesday).

Pix not loading on this site right now....will post later.

BTW - I now have two of the original M1101 wheels & tire for sale. Good condition - surface rust in a few places and on split-rim bolts.

Nryke

Just got done with the latest upgrade - traveling unistrut. The cage was too high for the garage, so we cut down the vertical struts. Should now clear the garage door, even with the 8" high ARB III roof top tent (to be delivered Tuesday).

Pix not loading on this site right now....will post later.

BTW - I now have two of the original M1101 wheels & tire for sale. Good condition - surface rust in a few places and on split-rim bolts.

How much are you asking for the tires and where are you located?, can you tell me the size of the gate of your trailer, I am trying to build a gate for mine.
Regards!

dcarteaux

Wild Butch
How much are you asking for the tires and where are you located?, can you tell me the size of the gate of your trailer, I am trying to build a gate for mine.
Regards!

Asking $250 for both wheels/tires. Located in southern Indiana (an hour south of Indy). These buggers are heavy, so shipping is not a cheap option, but can do if needed. The "picture upload" function on this site was not working for me last night, but I do plan to upload more soon. I'll try to remember to measure and post the dimensions of the gate when I get home from work.

dcarteaux

Wild Butch
Just an FYI on the flat tire...

Used the usual leak detector system (watered down dish soap) and found some bubbles coming up at the base of the valve stem. Tightened it up and it sealed perfectly. But really glad to have the new GM wheels on there - a couple hundred pounds lighter with easily replaceable tires and rims.

dcarteaux

Wild Butch
Update...

New photos showing the slide rails.

Attached to side of trailer. Using the unistrut nylon nuts to mount the slide rails to the fixed rails. I prefer the blue nylon version due to the complete ring, and it seems like a stronger version. Loosening up the bolts allows the entire rack to slide 12" vertically. Going to install a 12 vdc lift with a wide X brace to do that.

Attachments

• SlideRailNuts01_sm.jpg
    SlideRailNuts01_sm.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 42
  • SideMountRail_01_sm.jpg
    SideMountRail_01_sm.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 40
  • Nuts_sm.jpg
    Nuts_sm.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

dcarteaux

Wild Butch
more...

Vertical Fixed Rails mounted...

Attachments

• SideMountRail_01_sm.jpg
    SideMountRail_01_sm.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

dcarteaux

Wild Butch
Update...

Got the new (slightly used) tires on - standard GM 8 x 6.5 rims with 10-ply tires - for about $100 at a local tire shop. This dropped the pintle hitch about 2 1/2 inches or so. A before & after photo might have been more useful, but the manual says that the pintle is at 29.5", and this shows where it is now. It helps a bit with the level of the trailer, but not quite enough. The water tank w/pump, tankless LP water heater, and generator are all on their way. Balanced loading will be key.

Attachments

• Pintle_sm01.jpg
    Pintle_sm01.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Tires_sm-1.jpg
    Tires_sm-1.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 50

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94