Best value in 12V fridges, Indel B vs Dometic

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Just out of curiosity, does your Indel B swing in temp a bit from where you set it? I just plugged mine in after letting it sit for a day post shipping and have it tuned to 36 degrees. Seems to be jumping around a bit, which could just be a bad sensor. Yours do the same?
Yeah, it does. I'll set it to 34 and it will sometimes show 32 or 36. No biggie.
It's not like your home fridge that has a huge volume to even out the temp. There will be a difference in temp between the top and bottom, too. I keep a cheap fridge thermometer in the top of the fridge so I know the actual temp (since the sensor seems to be at the bottom of the fridge, i.e. the coldest part of it.)

SnoViking

Adventurer
My Indel B swings about 4 degrees; but it's still an awesome fridge.

Also, the more full the fridge is, the less temp swings you'll get. An empty fridge will temp-swing pretty high/low.

rx100

Getting a Dometic CFX40W from Dyer's RV in Phoenix. I believe they are still honoring the show prices from when they were at Overland Expo West last week.

$580 for the 40, includes a free travel cover.

$600 for the 50, with free travel cover.

Cant recall exactly on the 35, but I think it was 550 or 560.

The new "W" models have the wireless App control option.

Did you pick it up locally or shipped? Free shipping?

craig333

Expedition Leader
I only got rid of my Edgestar because I wanted to go to a front opener. http://truckfridge.com/tf65.html
Its not the most efficient but I'm happy with it but, I sport 250w of solar on my camper. No solar I'd probably go with the most efficient I could find.

offero

Desert rat
Add another happy Dometic customer to the list. I've had a CF-50 for seven or eight years now and it's going strong as a beer fridge in the house on mains power and primary camp fridge on 12-volt DC on trips.

baletag

I've been real happy with the Indel B 51. We've used it on a lot of trips and its the beer fridge at home. No complaints after two years.

I have a SnoMaster 66l fridge/freezer. I have been living full time out of my truck for the past year while traveling through Mexico and Central America, so lots of poor roads and the fridge is still doing well. Quite happy with it and they are easy to get in the USA now.

grogie

Like to Camp
I have a SnoMaster 66l fridge/freezer. I have been living full time out of my truck for the past year while traveling through Mexico and Central America, so lots of poor roads and the fridge is still doing well. Quite happy with it and they are easy to get in the USA now.

Good to hear!

I just ordered the 42SS... it's being delivered on Saturday! I'll do a review on it. :)

lostwolfak

Domestic is very reliable

Add another satisfied Dometic customer to the list. We ordered a Dometic CFX-65DZ*and have used it continuously since last September. It serves as our beverage fridge in the basement and we take it on our 2-3 day camping trips. It performs flawlessly, runs quietly and only drops our 125ah deep cycle to 75% (12.3 volts) after 3 days. We like the side opening lid, the digital display and the solid construction. It is very quiet and has never disturbed us as we sleep in the van. The Domestic is certainly worth consideration.

Add another satisfied Dometic customer to the list. We ordered a Dometic CFX-65DZ*and have used it continuously since last September. It serves as our beverage fridge in the basement and we take it on our 2-3 day camping trips. It performs flawlessly, runs quietly and only drops our 125ah deep cycle to 75% (12.3 volts) after 3 days. We like the side opening lid, the digital display and the solid construction. It is very quiet and has never disturbed us as we sleep in the van. The Domestic is certainly worth consideration.

I feel like I must be reading this wrong. Your fridge only draws 31.25 amps over 72 hours? So less than .5 amps an hour during normal camping use? That's impressive if it's correct.

theksmith

Explorer
i was quite happy with my Edgestar 43qt for several years. i upgraded the handles right away, and did eventually have to replace the hinges with the stainless steel version after the plastic ones cracked.

i upgraded about a year ago to a Dometic CFX-65DZUS for more space and the dual zone feature. Dometic's attention to detail with things like a reversible lid/hinges, spring loaded handles, and a built-in light make them a better value IMO. they also offer a quality slide-out drawer and wireless thermometer, which are nice options to have.

^ Duty cycle isn't 100%.

Sure, I get that. But an average of .5 amps an hour is still way better than what I average.

Should I not be impressed? Are other people seeing similar numbers?

I get close to 4 amps an hour on average during my travels. That's in the tropics, with a big 66L unit and us opening the cabinet regularly to get stuff out/in, but .5 amps is so much better. I'm intrigued.

crusaderJK

Adventurer
That's about right. There's a lot of factors that affect power consumption. I remember reading that Dometic advertised 0.3 to 0.6 amps per hour depending on the set temperature and ambient temperature (CFX 35).

Last weekend I had my CFX 35 running off a 75Ah deep-cycle gel battery for 52h. When I unplugged it the voltage read 12.6V and SOC was at 81%.
That battery could power the Dometic for up to 5 days. Tested that before.

PonyOnMyBoat

Can someone who has an Indel 31, 41, or 51 help me out with the internal dimensions? I'm particularly interested in the main compartment height (tallest bottle it can hold upright with lid closed) but I'd also like to confirm total volume of each compartment. I found specs on Equipt's website but the internal dimensions calculate out to a lot smaller volume than claimed.
https://www.equipt1.com/pages/specifications-indel-b-fridge

Thanks from a newby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles