Best value in 12V fridges, Indel B vs Dometic

Kevin108

Explorer
Look at the Smittybilt Arctic as well. Same compressor as the ARB, with some other similar components as well, from what I've read.

TacomaAustin

Observer
I have a Truckfridge TF41, which is essentially an Indel B TB-41A. Count me as a happy camper. It performed flawlessly during 4 weeks on the road during the past 6 months. The Eco mode and the insulation I added keeps the averaged Ah draw below an 1 Ah.

The added insulation consists of a WAECO travel bag - which is no longer available - and - a folded Harbour Freight moving blanket, which sits atop of the fridge. The travel bag has a reflective liner and some padding. All good, but I said earlier, the travel bags that fit the Indel seemed to have disappeared.

My observations are that the lid of Indel B doesn't have enough insulation. When I lift the moving blanket and open the top flap of the cover, both feel surfaces that face the fridge feel quite cool to the touch. My recommendation is that you go with the Dometic - if it is easier to source a travel bag.

Here's a quote from another forum - "I made an insulating blanket for my ice chest out of the silver reflective mats that are used for car and rv windows. When I was "part timing" in my travel trailer I was going through 60 lbs of ice a week. After I wrapped it consumption went down to 30 lbs a week." The point I'm making is that you'll reduce the Ah draw from the auxiliary battery with some added insulation.

Brands like ARB and Engel may seem overpriced - but their US importers keep in stock repair parts and accessories such as travel bags. That's their value. Both brands maintain service centers here in the US.

crusaderJK

Adventurer
I was pretty happy with my Waeco (Dometic) until it stopped working after 3 years of occasional use.
Compressor still runs but doesn't cool anymore.
Update: Fridge is at the Dometic repair center right now. They said, that the cooler line got clogged. Estimate repair cost is about $230.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Update: Fridge is at the Dometic repair center right now. They said, that the cooler line got clogged. Estimate repair cost is about $230.

Seeing how you are from Switzerland Im assuming the repair center is not in the USA but if so can you share the Dometic repair center info.

crusaderJK

Adventurer
Seeing how you are from Switzerland Im assuming the repair center is not in the USA but if so can you share the Dometic repair center info.
Yeah, it's here in Switzerland. I just went to www.dometic.com and selected the region. Then clicked on support and sent them a message describing the problems I have with the fridge.
They told me to bring it where their office is.

crusaderJK

Adventurer
Also good to know:
I noticed that the fridge doesn't have a fill port to refill the system if it leaks. It has a fill tube that is crimped and soldered at the end.
The tech at Dometic told me that they add a fill port with a schrader valve when they have to refill. It will make future refills much easier.

krax

Adventurer
Took delivery of the CFX-50 yesterday. I probably could have gone one size down, but we'll see. It's not any bigger than the cooler it replaced.

I'm initially impressed, but haven't had it on a trip yet, so I can't really give a review.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If I was buying today I'd get the Dometic CFX-50 if for no other reason than the "side hinged" lid. The end-hinged lid on the Indel-B makes it more prone to breakage if it slams and also makes it more difficult to get into when it's in a vehicle because of low overhead clearance.
I have seen a side-hinged lid modification for the Indel-B, interesting idea but screwing the hinges into the plastic case looks like it would be a weakness that I don't need.
FWIW we are now on season 4 with our Indel-B /Truckfridge TF-41 and other than the broken lid, the fridge works fine, and we use it pretty hard.

quadforce4

If I was buying today I'd get the Dometic CFX-50 if for no other reason than the "side hinged" lid. The end-hinged lid on the Indel-B makes it more prone to breakage if it slams and also makes it more difficult to get into when it's in a vehicle because of low overhead clearance.
I have seen a side-hinged lid modification for the Indel-B, interesting idea but screwing the hinges into the plastic case looks like it would be a weakness that I don't need.
FWIW we are now on season 4 with our Indel-B /Truckfridge TF-41 and other than the broken lid, the fridge works fine, and we use it pretty hard.

Just out of curiosity, does your Indel B swing in temp a bit from where you set it? I just plugged mine in after letting it sit for a day post shipping and have it tuned to 36 degrees. Seems to be jumping around a bit, which could just be a bad sensor. Yours do the same?

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
My Indel B moves maybe two degrees either way, but I usually have it set to freeze, and in very hot conditions. Once it gets down to temp, it's pretty stable unless it gets opened.

crusaderJK

Adventurer
Just out of curiosity, does your Indel B swing in temp a bit from where you set it? I just plugged mine in after letting it sit for a day post shipping and have it tuned to 36 degrees. Seems to be jumping around a bit, which could just be a bad sensor. Yours do the same?

My Indel B moves maybe two degrees either way, but I usually have it set to freeze, and in very hot conditions. Once it gets down to temp, it's pretty stable unless it gets opened.

My Dometic CFX 35 has always done that and it's totally normal.
The compressor isn't running all the time, instead it's cycling. It will cool two deg below the set temperature and then the compressor will stop.
As soon as the temperature reaches two deg above the set temperature the compressor will start running again.

I picked up my CFX 35 from the repair today. They also gave me the diagram of the measurements they took after the repair. It pictures the temperature swing you're talking about.
Dometic CFX35 compressor cycle.jpg

quadforce4

My Dometic CFX 35 has always done that and it's totally normal.
The compressor isn't running all the time, instead it's cycling. It will cool two deg below the set temperature and then the compressor will stop.
As soon as the temperature reaches two deg above the set temperature the compressor will start running again.

I picked up my CFX 35 from the repair today. They also gave me the diagram of the measurements they took after the repair. It pictures the temperature swing you're talking about.
View attachment 401115

perfect info, thanks! figured it was perfectly normal but it's nice to check in as well.

snare

Adventurer
Getting a Dometic CFX40W from Dyer's RV in Phoenix. I believe they are still honoring the show prices from when they were at Overland Expo West last week.

$580 for the 40, includes a free travel cover.

$600 for the 50, with free travel cover.

Cant recall exactly on the 35, but I think it was 550 or 560.

The new "W" models have the wireless App control option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online