Buying a G500

xAZxE30x

Hey! I am in the market for a truck in the 25-35,000$ range. I know this puts me at something with higher mileage.

I come from the E30 world where I've never once even cared about mileage as I know what's what and do all my own work.

Is there anything in specific I will want to check for? And as far as service goes. Is there anything I should check that has been done around 90-100k miles?

I read window regs go out, and found many people stating run away due to high cost but found some OEM ones in the 2-300 range so that doesn't seem as bad as some of these people claiming $1,000 per reg.

I'm hoping to make this my new daily, even if I am living at the pump, haha. So hoping I can get into something soon and not regret it!

Any tips is much appreciated!

Thanks

//Austin

NYCRover

Observer
there are lots of threads on this topic. Check out Pointed 3 forum too. I'll help you out here because I bought a 2004 with 110k on the clock and kind of wished i didn't cheap out.

The short list is the following:
-Do not buy a truck that has been in areas with salted roads as you WILL be battling with rust issues on both the body and parts on the undercarriage. The frame itself will be fine mostly, but i think the paint on the early 2000 G's (as well as other benzs) just went down dramatically in quality from the mid 90s paint.
-Window regs- the new versions that attempt to fix most of the problems with the design will run you $500 give or take. The $1000 you quote is what the dealer charges for parts+labor I'm guessing. I had to replace all four within my first 2 months with the truck.
-bullet proof engine- i would not worry about high mileage with this power plant.
-rolling bank vault = strain on front end as well as worn shocks around that mileage. Also rear springs can crack easily, so check this out as well. Could be an excuse for a nice ORC lift though...
-Early Gs will have weird electronic issues- the seat adjustment switches might give you a headache.
-Idler pulley and tensioner are weak spots.
-the electronic screen in the instrument cluster started to fade.

Buy as new a G as you can. Repairs add up and parts aren't cheap. You can save some coin doing it yourself, but don't be surprised to pay $120/hr labor rates for someone who knows what they are doing with W463s. I love the platform and hope to someday get a new one, but my experience with not fully vetting my 2004 and impulse buying it led to a less than happy relationship. Good luck

xAZxE30x

there are lots of threads on this topic. Check out Pointed 3 forum too. I'll help you out here because I bought a 2004 with 110k on the clock and kind of wished i didn't cheap out.

The short list is the following:
-Do not buy a truck that has been in areas with salted roads as you WILL be battling with rust issues on both the body and parts on the undercarriage. The frame itself will be fine mostly, but i think the paint on the early 2000 G's (as well as other benzs) just went down dramatically in quality from the mid 90s paint.
-Window regs- the new versions that attempt to fix most of the problems with the design will run you $500 give or take. The $1000 you quote is what the dealer charges for parts+labor I'm guessing. I had to replace all four within my first 2 months with the truck.
-bullet proof engine- i would not worry about high mileage with this power plant.
-rolling bank vault = strain on front end as well as worn shocks around that mileage. Also rear springs can crack easily, so check this out as well. Could be an excuse for a nice ORC lift though...
-Early Gs will have weird electronic issues- the seat adjustment switches might give you a headache.
-Idler pulley and tensioner are weak spots.
-the electronic screen in the instrument cluster started to fade.

Buy as new a G as you can. Repairs add up and parts aren't cheap. You can save some coin doing it yourself, but don't be surprised to pay $120/hr labor rates for someone who knows what they are doing with W463s. I love the platform and hope to someday get a new one, but my experience with not fully vetting my 2004 and impulse buying it led to a less than happy relationship. Good luck
Thank you for that breakdown! Yes I plan to try and do as much vetting as I can so it's more fun. Just trying not to jump into something and then regret it. Funny how every car/truck is different. Either engines fail quick or random bits fail. Glad though the engines are bulletproof!

Dont know much about G Wagons but did you say you come from E30 world as in Bimmer?
Kevin

Yep! I just sold my baby not that long ago. It wasn't much fun to drive on the street and just decided one day to let it go. Had 3 and now am down to one but it's currently needing repair from a front end accident my friend caused so someday I will get around to it

The Artisan

Adventurer
Yep! I just sold my baby not that long ago. It wasn't much fun to drive on the street and just decided one day to let it go. Had 3 and now am down to one but it's currently needing repair from a front end accident my friend caused so someday I will get around to it
Nice I am a huge bimmer nut. Used to have a number of E30s, still own some mtech verts, E30 323i and 1 E30M. I specialize in Bimmer upholstery kits
Kevin

xAZxE30x

Nice I am a huge bimmer nut. Used to have a number of E30s, still own some mtech verts, E30 323i and 1 E30M. I specialize in Bimmer upholstery kits
Kevin

Kevin of Creative Options? You are the go to guy for interiors! small world. Came to ask about off-road rigs and somehow talking e30's haha

The Artisan

Adventurer
Kevin of Creative Options? You are the go to guy for interiors! small world. Came to ask about off-road rigs and somehow talking e30's haha
Thats me :) did you check out my pod build. Branching out.. I almost bought a 280G years ago my buddy talked me out of it, small world for sure.
Kevin

So-Cal G

Observer
Do it! these rigs rock and you only live once!
just remember G Wagen windows are for looking out of not for opening and you'll be fine!
Idler pulley up grade would be first on my list cheep and easy and beats the hell out of total failure:coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94