Is this possible

D

Deleted member 9101

Ok, I have been trying to figure this one out and need help. Is there any way to safely raise the towing capacity of a truck? What I have is a 2000 Toyota Tundra. The max towing wieght is 7000 lbs. I would like to tow my Xterra if I need to. This would amount to once, maybe twice a year so I am not willing to buy a bigger truck for this. The wieght of the X and trailer are just over the limit of my Tundra. I am not looking to increase it by much, maybe 1000lbs at max, and the tongue wieght will stay the same. At this stage in the game, price is not a concern, I just want to know if it's possible, and what it would take. I would think a brake upgrade, add airbags to the rearend and maybe a bigger trans cooler and radiator. Anything else? Is this safe? I know a full size Ford can tow over twice it's wieght so just wondering if a Tundra could.

Thanks for the help with this. One last question. Can anyone tell me where I can find the California laws on flat towing vehicles? I have searched, but can't seem to find it. I am looking to find out if there is a wieght limit to how much you can flat tow. Thanks

Casper
:REOutCampFire03:

I have towed my buddies "bog truck" with mine. Truck and trailer was pushing 9k. My Tundra handled it with no complaints. I just accelerated slow and planned every time I used the breaks ahead of time. The trailer had brakes on both axles and we adjusted the load so it didn't squat my *** end too badly.

If I had to do it regularly I woudl as a massive tranny cooler, a shift kit and air bags.

As for flat towing, I wouldn't do it. A trailer is much easier to maneuver and gives you more options if the vehicle you are towing is disabled for some reason. Just my .02

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94