Time to give up my Monty

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I am about to throw in the towel. My efforts to restore my Monty into running condition have resulting in burning through cash no with other discernible results. My truck continues to run on 5 or less cylinders, continues to have electrical issues. Now I have to smog my truck in the next month or so, and never, not once, in the 3 years I've owned it has there NOT been a Check Engine Light on the dash. Step one of any smog test is to check for CELs. If there is one, the test is suspended until the fault is cleared. So...i'm stuck with a truck that doesn't run and can't be licensed.

So what do I do? I don't have any more money, so I can't buy a new motor, I can't pay to get this one fixed, and I can't just go out and buy a new truck. I am just so frustrated! I don't know what I should do.

thats a serious problem.
slow down your thinking.
consider options.

junk it: peel off your good parts and have done with her. treat her like an ex wife

fix it: your problem(s) sound similar to flood rigs. lights going on like its armegeddon in a nuke bunker. corrosion, or malfunctioning sensors due to water.
but first, did you have all your grounds carefully checked? ohm meter between bloc and body,hood,batt etc?

trade ite to someone in a place that don't smog.

if you were closer maybe we could look at it together, but getting a group of montee fellas together bucks up the morale and between beers and b. s. might even straighten things out.

PA_JERO

Adventurer
if you were closer maybe we could look at it together, but getting a group of montee fellas together bucks up the morale and between beers and b. s. might even straighten things out.

This Is how we do it here in AZ. We call in all reinforcements, and even if we accomplish nothing, we accomplish something. That probably makes no sense to anyone else, but that's how we resolve our major issues.

Hope you find some solid ground dude.

TheMole

Adventurer
Wish I was more knowledgeable to be of help. I do have a bluetooth obd reader and ultragauge if you need to read the code or monitor some metrics.

mudraider

Adventurer
Three years of a CEL? What is the codes? What's the truck? What have you done to it?

sent from my pretty good Android phone

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Sucks, Nathan - sorry I haven't been around much. lost access to the portal and been busy wrenching on my willy's in my spare time.

Sounds like you just need to move on and cut your losses. That's where I was with my trooper. Great rig for 3 years and almost 100k miles. Couldn't justify the $4500 needed to replace the tranny, and didn't want to spend even more money to get it up to snuff for smog and registration. a busted trooper is only worth about $1000 around here, so I took a loss, stripped the goodies and donated it to Make-a-wish.

Sounds like my last Montero. Then a decade later someone tore down the engine to find the rebuilder had pinched a fuel injector line. I freaking despise smog checks. Older OBII Monties cannot pass anyways. About to move where I dont need it, so mine is sitting in a shop right now until then.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Update 8/19/17: Courtesy of the great State of California's Bureau of Automotive Repair, the Monty has been "recycled" via the Vehicle Retirement Program, and is now roughly a 24" square, 4,470 lbs cube of low grade metal.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Update 8/19/17: Courtesy of the great State of California's Bureau of Automotive Repair, the Monty has been "recycled" via the Vehicle Retirement Program, and is now roughly a 24" square, 4,470 lbs cube of low grade metal.

Did they at least give you a few bucks for it?

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Well Nathan, good luck with whatever you decide to do. After speaking to you a while back I know that you are a wealth of knowledge and a valuable member of the Mitsubishi Montero brotherhood. I hope you can get another overlander together at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke