Mount Baldy Snow Hike

teotwaki

Excelsior!
full story here http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2017/01/mount-baldy-snow-hike.html

Some pix of a great Sunday ascent of the snowy slopes of Mount San Antonio.

Sharp pointy metal on my boots went a long way towards dealing with ice and crusty snow.

IMG_4466-1.jpg

The 1936 Ski Hut at 8300'

IMG_4488-1.jpg

Wind sculpted snow on boulders

IMG_4483-1.jpg

IMG_4485-1.jpg

The red arrow on the right of this picture indicates an area where three climbers were injured by an avalanche. Not something that occurs often in our local mountains

IMG_4477-1.jpg

Thursday the 26th rescuers were called to the Mt. Baldy Bowl area about 12:15 PM for a reported avalanche that injured three men. That is a time of day when the sun has warmed the upper areas of the Baldy Bowl and primed the steep slopes for an avalanche of any heavy loads of snow.

Cody Ayala was hospitalized with broken ribs and Chris Chung was reported to have a broken arm. Louis Wojciechowski was released after getting stitches for a cut leg. Wojciechowski commented that the speeding wave of snow swept the three men in different directions and he was briefly buried. Authorities say the men slid about 1,000 feet down the face of the bowl where they were ascending. Ayala and Chung were hoisted to safety by a San Bernardino County sheriff's helicopter.

Visibility was so good that it was easy to see all the way to Catalina Island. The snow transforms the look of the whole area.

IMG_4454-1.jpg

IMG_4456-1.jpg

IMG_4487-1.jpg

I had a great workout and even met someone who is on the current Mars robotic exploration team. It was fun to compare notes from my days on the project. I might try to go back to Mount Baldy in two weeks if I can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior