Midnite solar classic kid settings for 2 x Crown 6v batteries

Hey folks,
I have a 310pv panel with a midnite solar classic kid with the whizbang Jr feeding 2 Crown 6CRV220 (6 volt / 220 amp hour) batteries wired together as a 12v. What settings on the controller do you guys suggest? Menu options (with current settings in parentheses) are Absorb which has submenus Volt (14.2) and Time (120min). Float (15.1), AmpLmt with submenus Load (30amps) and Battery (30amps), Tcomp with submenus mV/dC/Cell (-5.0 mV) and EQ (no), TcompLimits with the min and max volts set to 8.5 and 15.8, and advanced setting with EndAmps (0.1A) and Rebulk (0.1 V). I'm out on a project where data is limited, so I'm being kinda lazy and asking you guys as opposed to doing real research.
Also, the manual shows a way to change the battery type, but I can't find a way to do that anywhere. Anyone know how to do that?
Thanks again!
Cheers,
Alex

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
according to the battery website
absorb should be 14.5 volts.
float should be 13.2 volts

But since you will be using solar, just keep the float at 14.5.

With solar the absorb will finish too fast and go to float before getting a full charge. There is not enough sunlight in a day to fully charge your battery. Its something I learned from using solar. You wont damage the battery by keeping it at 14.5 all the time (your more delicate car battery operates at that voltage all the time), you will actually increase its lifespan. While undercharging the battery will kill the battery fairly quickly. My kinitek 102 amp agm, I had it at 14.4 volt float setting for 3 years, with no problem.

If you had the battery connected 24/7 to house current, then thats when you actually do need to use the recommended float voltage, because you will fully charge the battery which will take more than 12 hours.

There is a forum where I get info solarpaneltalk.com that goes more in depth with all things solar, thats where I learn to keep my float voltage high.

Excellent, thank you for the info. I will cut and paste over there and see if I can get some help with those other settings.
Cheers,
Alex

I've found the chart for for the my crown, but it only lists those 3 specs. Here's another quick question: my freezer has 3 settings where it'll stop draining the battery when it reaches a certain voltage. One is 10.0V, one is 10.7V, and the last is 11.8. What's the healthiest setting to keep it at (for the battery)? There's some loss in the cable, between 0.3 and 0.6 volts, so 10.7 on the fridge is more like 11 to 11.3 at the battery. I currently have it at 10.7, and turning the fridge off at night at the days are short and the weather has been cloudy.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
So the common idea is 12.1 is 50% of the battery. I have had the low setting set on my ARB fridge and my truck did not start(its an old battery). So I have changed the setting to middle. The healthiest is obviously high, since it doesn't drain the battery as far. You should be good at the middle setting. hope the fridge doesn't always hit the limit as its supposed to be a safe guard from killing the battery.

I haven't had it hit the limit yet. I'm mostly curious, in case I have more bad weather for long stretches or whatever. Trying to learn up!
Cheers
Alex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior