3 person rtt for my 2015 Forester

TranClanXT

Hello everyone. First post here. I've been a lurker for some time and many of my questions on the subie forums pointed me to here for more answers.

I primarily use my Forester as a beach buggy in the ny/nj region for a few years and often times wish we had an rtt to crash In for the night. It's just me, my wife and our 20 month old. She loves the idea of one of these (because I couldn't shut up about it) so this year I got her blessing to purchase one.

I'm wondering if a foldout tent with a width of 56" be good enough for us or should we spring the larger? I'm 6' 190lbs. She's 5'7 130lbs (I might be off on this lol). I am leaning towards a larger tent, just wondering if the thing would look ridiculous on the Forester. I ha e Yakima rail grabs rack system so dynamic load wouldn't be much of an issue under 180 pounds.

Let me know what your experiences have been if you're in a similar boat. It's an expensive purchase and in the northeast I really don't know anyone with one of these. Nor do we have any outdoor expos I can visit to check these setups out. Thanks guys.

Box Rocket

The is the 2-person Tepui Ayer on an older Forester at 48" long. So add 8" to the length of this and that's how the larger 3-person Kukenam/Autana models would fit. Stepping up the larger XL 4-person models with a 4x6' closed footprint would be adding a full 24" to the length of what is in this picture.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
I had a tepui autana on my 2001 forester for a short time, it fit fine but I don't know if I'd go any larger. The Autana is about the max size I can put on the car by myself, any heavier and it's a 2 person job. It's plenty big enough for 2 adults and a baby, but gets a little cramped with 2 adults and 2 small kids. The good thing about the autana is you can add the annex and have additional sleeping room as the kids get older.

TranClanXT

Always good to see a Subaru owner on here! I had a James Baroud Horizon Vision (fold out tent with a width of 59") on my Crosstrek for a little bit and it fit great and it wasn't too large for the vehicle. There is definitely more than enough room for you, your wife, and the young one!

Thanks for this. The pic of that forester on the beach piqued my interest haha. I have to wonder, is the premium for this james baroud worth it over cheaper, similar sized models from other makers?

Last edited:

TranClanXT

I had a tepui autana on my 2001 forester for a short time, it fit fine but I don't know if I'd go any larger. The Autana is about the max size I can put on the car by myself, any heavier and it's a 2 person job. It's plenty big enough for 2 adults and a baby, but gets a little cramped with 2 adults and 2 small kids. The good thing about the autana is you can add the annex and have additional sleeping room as the kids get older.

Good to know. I was looking at those last night. I'm itching to pull the trigger on one. I've researched these tents for over a year now.

Lucky j

Explorer
Perso, I would ask my self if you are planing for a second one.

My rtt is 54" wide, And I know that for my gf and I it is ok. But we did tried it once or twice with hey 10years old daughter and it was not confortable at all.

59" could be better with a very young, but it will grow up fast and could be moving a lot. I always recomend to organized a make ship space in your house between a wall and something else the same witdh of the tent you want to by, and try sleeping in it for the night. You will have your answer in the morning. And since baby is not there yet, place something that will replace him for the test.

Have a good night! :)

fike

Adventurer
I have a small 51" Maggiolina and it is too snug for two normal sized people. You will all fit in the size you mention, but you will be poking elbows a bit. If you are easily comfortable in a backpacking tent, you may be okay, but That little wee one will quickly make it feel very cramped.

TranClanXT

The is the 2-person Tepui Ayer on an older Forester at 48" long. So add 8" to the length of this and that's how the larger 3-person Kukenam/Autana models would fit. Stepping up the larger XL 4-person models with a 4x6' closed footprint would be adding a full 24" to the length of what is in this picture.

Took a look at my extended Yakima loadwarrior rack and it had similar measurements as a collapsed tent. Might get a tad tight, but Im ok with sleeping inside my car or surf fish at night if it's too tight. Rather wife and kid be comfortable. 😁

ADVSubaru

Observer
Thanks for this. The pic of that forester on the beach piqued my interest haha. I have to wonder, is the premium for this james baroud worth it over cheaper, similar sized models from other makers?

It honestly depends on your budget. I got to use the James Baroud Horizon Vision (and an Evasion) through my work but I ultimately purchased an ARB Simpson III due to my budget constraints. After using it quite a bit, I planned on getting a James Baroud Horizon Vision this spring but I sold my Crosstrek late last year :(. I can't comment on any other brand other than James Baroud and ARB as those are the only two I've used.

What I will say is that after a 10 day trip/1800 miles of camping in the ARB through thunderstorms and cold nights, I couldn't wait to get back into a James Baroud. The ARB tent is a great solid tent and I will never hesitate to recommend it but the James Baroud set the bar kind of high for my expectations.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
I suggest keeping an eye on weight and wouldn't suggest going over 120 pounds or so. Anything more and you will certainly feel it up there. Remember, the rack itself adds weight. A good guide will be Yakima, your rack's manufacturer. They rate most all their racks at 165 lbs but have Subaru downrated.

The other thing to watch is what I call an "end plate effect", if the tent is wider than the vehicle you can get some bad aerodynamics that really cut fuel and make the vehicle feel super sluggish. Those are the two limits I see. Many of the folding tents are surprisingly heavy, and you don't get all that much room in the one piece designs sometimes. I would suggest going simple and light. Some of the new tents coming out the Yakima's may be what you are looking for. They aren't so much "expedition but that may be a good thing.

TranClanXT

It honestly depends on your budget. I got to use the James Baroud Horizon Vision (and an Evasion) through my work but I ultimately purchased an ARB Simpson III due to my budget constraints. After using it quite a bit, I planned on getting a James Baroud Horizon Vision this spring but I sold my Crosstrek late last year :(. I can't comment on any other brand other than James Baroud and ARB as those are the only two I've used.

What I will say is that after a 10 day trip/1800 miles of camping in the ARB through thunderstorms and cold nights, I couldn't wait to get back into a James Baroud. The ARB tent is a great solid tent and I will never hesitate to recommend it but the James Baroud set the bar kind of high for my expectations.
It's actually right in our wheelhouse as far as budget is concerned. I want an awning too. Hoping to make a trip to see the folks at ok4wd as it's within an hours drive for us. I actually have my heart set on that horizon tent as it's light, fast and minimal.

Sucks to hear about your crosstrek. It's a really nice car as my wife has one that we drive to work with. Great on gas and super safe. My Forester has a good amount of work done to it. Next up is that tent, a bigger lift and upgraded tires. I have geo ats which are fine but listing for ko2's.

I love kayaking and will have to find a way to lug that to the launch sites on fishing days. Likely in the cargo area with seats folded down and that hitch bed extension goal post thingy.

vs_jk

Although, I don't drive a Suburu, I've been searching for a lightweight tent that could fit 2 adults + 1 small kid. I'm going to be putting it on my Jeep JKU. But wanted to keep the RTT light so as to minimize negative affects to drivability, mileage, and hassle of putting on and taking off. Another requirement for me was that the tent couldn't be more than 10" tall in the closed position because otherwise my Jeep wouldn't fit through the garage door with the tent on! Also, I didn't like the idea of having to deal with unfolding a rain fly.

This left me with very few choices for RTT's. For quite some time, the James Baroud Horizon was on the top of the list. It gets great reviews and is priced as such with the highest price of all the ones I was looking at closely. The FrontRunner lite was also an option but I didn't like the idea of having to deal with a separate rain fly. Plus it was a little bit smaller than ideal. And then most recently discovered the Freespirit Recreation Adventure Series 55 - https://www.gofsr.com/product/adventure-series-manual-55-roof-top-tent/ . After reading a few reviews, I decided to go ahead and order this one. It met all the criteria I was looking for including not having to hassle with separate rain fly and having quick folding time and the price is right. I won't receive it until later this month so can't give you my impressions yet. But worth checking out as an option. If you want to spend a little more, they even have the same tent with an electric motor to automatically do the folding! I went with the manual one. Their Facebook page shows pictures of some Subaru owners using these tents.

Last edited:

TranClanXT

This left me with very few choices for RTT's. For quite some time, the James Baroud Horizon was on the top of the list. It gets great reviews and is priced as such with the highest price of all the ones I was looking at closely. The FrontRunner lite was also an option but I didn't like the idea of having to deal with a separate rain fly. Plus it was a little bit smaller than ideal. And then most recently discovered the Freespirit Recreation Adventure Series 55 - After reading a few reviews, I decided to go ahead and order this one. It met all the criteria I was looking for including not having to hassle with separate rain fly and having quick folding time and the price is right. I won't receive it until later this month so can't give you my impressions yet. But worth checking out as an option. If you want to spend a little more, they even have the same tent with an electric motor to automatically do the folding! I went with the manual one. Their Facebook page shows pictures of some Subaru owners using these tents.

I saw these. I follow them on IG. I think the length might be too big, it's a much bigger footprint than that roof of my car that's for sure.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
If you are planning to come down to OK4WD let me know and I will be happy to show you the James Baroud tents. :) Seeing is believing when it comes to quality and construction!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior