WTB 2005-2009 Power Wagon with Manual Transmission

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
Looking for a 2005-2010 Dodge Power Wagon, crew cab, manual transmission. Let me know if you have one or have seen one in a sale ad. I am located in Montana, but am willing to drive a long distance for the right truck.

Thanks

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Not sure what your build plans are, but I had a new '07 PW, and added ram assist. I bought a new ported PS pump from PSC, but then sent them mine and had it ported as a spare- basically new. Let me know if interested, and good luck with your search!

TwinStick

Explorer
IMHO, You picked a GREAT vehicle, but I am biased. Manual transmissions were only available from 2005-2008. When I was ordering mine (directly from the owner of the dealership) & we were going through the options & he asked if I wanted a manual or an auto, it was like Heaven opened up and the angels sang, music to my ears it was. So, I asked him to give me 24 hrs to research the manual trans. When i did & found the individual gear ratios for the G-56, again, it was like the angels sang to me. Went back the next day & ordered it. It took 6 months or more before I took delivery. During that wait time, he must have called me 30 times & asked "are you SURE you want a manual trans ?" I always said "Yup, are you SURE I can get one ? " He said yup. LOL It became quite comical.

They are geared for work. 1) 6.29:1 --- 2) 3.28:1 --- 3) 2.10:1 ---4) 1.38:1 ---5) 1.0:1 --- 6) 0.79:1 ---Rev) 6.29:1 Crawl Ratio- 78:1
I also found another gear ratio for the G-56, not exactly sure how to tell the difference between the two. 1)-5.94:1 2)-3.28:1 3)-1.98:1 4)-1.31:1 5)-1.0:1 6)-0.74:1 Rev)-5.42:1 Crawl Ratio- 73.675:1

Good luck with your search. I have 45,000 miles on my 2008. Best truck I have ever owned for off road---PERIOD ! Plan on rebuilding the entire front end though. Use QUALITY parts & only do it once. Carli, Thuren are great sources.

For farm work, you can definitely use 1st gear, Lo range, get out & throw hay bales in the back. The truck will drive itself.

Last edited:

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
That is great to hear, I have yet to hear from someone with that combo. Manuals appear to be very uncommon. I intend to replace my 03 duramax and 97 XJ with one do it all rig. Occasional 4 horse trailer and hay hauling, but primarily a camping/wheeling/expedition rig. I am a little apprehensive about the size after having driven trails with Jeeps for 15 years, but it never fails that I see a full size trucks in some crazy places

Last edited:

TwinStick

Explorer
We used to pull a 30', 10,500 lb Toy Hauler for 8 years with it. I had to put these on it: http://www.hellwigproducts.com/products/load-control/load-pro-series/ I got the Load Pro 35's. Between them & the weight distributing hitch with anti sway bars, it towed great. Kids are gone & we just downsized to this:

Truck don't even know it's back there, when pulling it. The right transmission gears & being able to hold it in any gear, regardless of rpms, makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE in the world when using a gas engine for HD work. They are out there but are few & far between. Good luck with your search.

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
Trailer looks good, currently have a Fleetwood Cobalt pop-up that we tow behind the Jeep Cherokee, which is a great combo for us. But our kids are only getting bigger as they tend to do and it is going to be tough to get all of the toys to the playground, so in a couple years we are considering moving up to a StarCraft 17XTH, a small toyhauler/hybrid with bunks in the front. Moving to a Power Wagon should set us up nicely :)

TwinStick

Explorer
Yes, it will. It will make changing campers/weight/loads a non issue.

Funny story: We were at an atv place, dry camping. It rained for 2 weeks. Only people left were me & brand new Ford F-350 CC, 8' box, pulling a 39' triple axle toy hauler. He was stuck trying to go up a tiny grade with the camper. I asked if he wanted me to pull him out. He laughed & said: "That's not a diesel, is it son ?" I said no, it's not, but it's geared pretty low. He laughed again & said "Well this is a diesel son & my truck weighs 8000+ lbs and the camper is 16,500 lbs empty & it has 150 gallons of fresh water in it, 4 atv's & all our gear." I said yeah, ok, whatever. The facts are: I am the only one here, so either you want my help or you don't, because once I hook up to my camper, you are on your own. We ate lunch & watched him keep going forward a few inches & backwards a few inches. It was clear he was NOT getting out on his own. After lunch, I went out to get in my truck & he asked for help. I asked him to put it Neutral and NOT to hit the gas because I did NOT want to get rear ended from him romping on it. (That has happened to me with my 88' Ford Ranger.) He laughed again & said "no way-no how was I gonna pull him out with a gasser." So, I was just about to the point of telling him to go-***k himself, but i didn't. I hooked up, Lo range 4wd. No lockers engaged. Pulled him right out without spinning a tire. He had street tread tires & like i said, it was just a tiny grade. I had brand new Cooper STT's on. He then said "If I wouldn't have seen it with my own eyes, I would never believe it !" I told him it's geared like a tractor.

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
I have not come across that one, thanks! Agreed it does seem steep for those miles, but I will Check in on it tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz