The Wanderers build

Haha hey man, ease up. I'm not trying to be cruel but I can't have remorse for trying to save you lots of time, anguish and money. Obviously I am speaking from a realm where I have strong limits on those, and if you are coming from a place where you have a strong supply of one of those, power to you! Sometimes people need to be shaken back to reality, and I'd hate to see you head into a pipe dream, but if you're dedicated and want to go that route it's all up to you man :) and power to you!

I'm assuming the FJ is yours, that thing is cool! I don't know why anyone would call it impossible, unless there's a small reactor in there of some sort... but that build, and whatever is in it, is a whole different ballgame from being the first guy to install a Hydrogen generator into a vehicle, and then use it only on rare occasion, and only to run air conditioning, and only because there is a reason they don't want to idle the engine or run a generator. I just want you to understand why I'm viewing it like this. I have lots of projects I would like to tackle, and my thought process weighs the amount of time, effort and money to make that happen, vs. the benefits when it is successful. I fully believe you can do it if you set your mind to it, and I'll gladly buy you a few beers if we cross paths and you take a run on this project!

I don't want to scare you away from this site, it is very different from Pirate (well, everything is different from Pirate... there's some harsh dudes there). Best of luck man, let me know if you actually do need input and design advice.

Marcus

SexyExy

Observer
I didn't read through this whole thread very close, but I don't remember seeing a reason why the wife did not want a generator. Having said that, I own a couple different inverter style units that are as close to silent as you'd want. (I hate the gasoline Briggs and Stratton type motors since they are so blappy and loud). On one of my enclosed car trailers, I roll the generator to the front of the pickup truck and plug into the trailer with the extension cord. It is so quiet, that the slightest breeze means you can't hear the generator (it's a good 25' away and being blocked by the front of the truck). Now the noise issue is the actual RV type roof air conditioning....they are pretty loud when on the high fan setting guaranteeing that the generator cannot be heard. If you're going to run an RV roof type air conditioning unit, that is going to suck some major power.

Other than the AC, I really can't think of anything else you might be running that can't be done with batteries, solar panels and inverters. The thing with gasoline generators (the correct quiet type) is nothing can give you the amount of BTU's in such a dense fuel source that is almost impossible to run out of if others with gasoline powered vehicles are camping with you. If you are doing a couple day extended SAR situation, the only thing that will keep up with the potential demand of the electrical requirements you may need is a generator. SAR isn't traditional camping....you never know what the situation is going to turn into. Not having enough power on hand can be costly for all involved. If it is cloudy or rainy, solar will not come close to cutting it. If you're on a SAR mission and you run low on hydrogen cells, ain't nobody in the camp going to have some extra to give. But you can always borrow some gas from the guy with a gasoline powered vehicle just buy siphoning some out so you can keep the generator going insuring communications, recharging of gear, etc can continue regardless of the weather conditions or if it is dark or sunny out.

If you can't decide what to do, just ask yourself what would Carl do and then what would Emma do to make it a workable solution.....that'll probably be the best case scenario. Look forward to seeing your build and what you come up with.

superbuickguy

Explorer
well, now that I have all 4 wheels for this.... time to start the assessment
and still room for a Corvette

ah the ethereal smells of cold diesel

remember I said "wiring issues"

bright side is I'll make at least a couple bucks scrapping the copper

looks remarkably like a spare that was on the fj40. Don't need the spare, especially since this will probably be the hauling rig so I can steal from it if necessary

dogs needed to fully sniff the vehicle. They said there were mice in there.... stupid dogs, we already knew that...

for those who live with salt, this is a typical rocker panel in the PNW

I think I know why there are no rear brakes

the Australian view... but I never realized that any GM vehicle (and this is my unknownth Suburban) put a proportioning valve on the rear - yet this looks way too stock to be anything but....
​

Kilroy

Adventurer
And since I'm sure it'll be an issue if I don't mention this. I asked Rick (the author) if I could post these and he said yes. If you like them, you can buy the CD with all his stories on it from his website. http://articles.superhunky.com/bio/Rick Sieman

they are good for bar mitzpahs, weddings, electrical engineers, and anyone else who is a bit too tight in the shorts.

Enjoyed the post. Been along time sense reading "Pickup, van and 4wd", think it was PV4WD. Since you brought it up, any ideas where to find the old Granville King articles? He did amazing trips with his VW bus I remember! Your build should be interesting. Thanks for posting.

superbuickguy

Explorer
I think that Granville is still off-limits because his stories are own by TEN (former Peterson's) - but they have started reposting them so perhaps there's hope that his stuff will move the electronic age.

superbuickguy

Explorer
so in 2 buckets of lug nuts, I have none that work.... oh well, I cheated and ordered from Amazon...

and meet my new trailer tires
​

superbuickguy

Explorer
I'm in the process of designing a rack for the top and the inside, and also deciding whether to put a NV4500 in it instead of a 4L80e. I could make a 700r4 work (no computer) but the relative cost difference and simplicity of the 5 speed manual are the odds-on favorite.

it's going to be silver.

superbuickguy

Explorer
well, I know where the problem is.... not quite sure how I'm going to fix it.

the copper pipe rubbed a hole in the brake line right at the bend.... of course, right next to it is the exhaust so I may have to remove the exhaust to fix it. First though, it's soaking and will get a very thorough pressure wash before any of that happens

if I was a betting man, I'd say the motor has been replaced.... the block heater is in place and that was cut just on the other side of the cross member (there are other signs too like missing every brace and lines being poorly replaced)

more amazing wiring

another sign, it had a tach, this is what remains of the pickup

this makes me smile. I love doing projects where there was much love heaped on the vehicle a couple owners ago.... I fix the redneck engineering and I have a great truck

nice tank skid

so clean, brakes, figure out why I have a fuel leak (probably bypass lines), fix the column, remove the extra wires and fix the stock wiring.... then I can get on with the build. One of the issues that needs addressing is most of the bushings are shot - which would nicely be fixed with a 4" lift :)

superbuickguy

Explorer
I think I'm going to make this a Friday thing.... Wanderer's 3

CHRISTMAS IN ALASKA By Rick Sieman

Welcome to the good life of Carl and Emma. Carl, a retired Navy Chief Petty Officer, drives a huge four-wheel drive Suburban all over the country to explore off-roading areas. The Suburban, nick-named The Whale, is loaded to the max with every goody known to man. Emma, a very patient lady, tries to keep the short-fused Carl out of as much trouble as possible.
When we last left them, they were extremely stuck in the mud bogs of Davis, West Virginia. We join them as they're driving across Texas, with no particular destination in mind.

"Well, dear ... whattaya say we head out to California and spend Christmas camping out in the middle of the desert where there's no stupid snow?" Carl expertly spat a wad of tobacco out of the window of The Whale and banked the plug off a yellow road sign, just a hair off dead center, at the same time adding yet another brown stain to the flank of the Suburban.
Emma fixed Carl with one of those stares that showed she meant business. "You know, Carl, there's one thing I've always wanted to do during Christmas time, and that's visit Santa's Village up in Alaska."
Carl chuckled. "Ain't you a little old to be believing in Sandy Claus, Emma? I found out about that bull before I started shavin'!"
Emma sniffed. "I'm not talking about kid stuff, Carl. There really is a tourist place you can go to. I saw it on one of those travel shows on the TV a few weeks ago. They actually make toys and things there that you can buy and there's a restaurant and a hotel. Just think how nice it would be to spend Christmas eve there, with all the elves and such, by a huge decorated tree!"
"Sounds like a waste of time to me. And who would want to spend Christmas eve surrounded by a bunch of midgets wearing pointy hats?"
Emma sighed. "Well, I surely would have enjoyed going there. It's like being a kid again. But it's just as well. Apparently the road that goes back into Santa's Village is a real bad one. It's supposed to be bad enough in good weather, but in the winter, they recommend that only highly experienced off-roaders with excellent equipment attempt the drive. Most folks just fly in."
A smile creased Carl's face. "Fly in, huh?" Must be a bunch of wimps up there in Alaska. Ain't much that can stop a 454 engine hooked up to 35-inch Mudder tires, now is there?"
"Now, Carl. Maybe it's not such good idea after all, What with that nasty old road ********** in the dead of winter. Guess my little dream will just have to be put on the back burners of the stove of life."
Carl stuffed a fresh clump of chewing tobacco in his mouth. "Well now, Emma, maybe old Carl here can answer those girlish dreams of yours. One way or another, I can get The Whale up any road, regardless of the weather. Only thing is, let's just spend one night there and get back into civilized country in time for me to catch the Super Bowl. I got good tickets on the 40-yard line."
Emma gave a secretive smile. "Oh, Carl. You're so brave and I know you won't get us stuck like you did in West Virginia and Delaware and Florida and Pennsylvania and upstate New York and North Carolina and ..."
"Put a lid on it, Emma. I get the message."

They rolled along at exactly two miles per hour over the speed limit, the mighty 454 barely working as it hauled the mass of The Whale down the ruler-straight empty Texas highway. The strains of Willie Nelson filled the interior of the plush Suburban, through sixteen speakers.

The sound of squealing tires had Emma digging her toes in the thick carpeting, and before her eyes were focused, Carl had the Suburban stopped on the shoulder and had leaped out of the drivers seat. He stood at the base of a road sign with both hands on his hips, and stared up at the sign in obvious awe.
Emma got out and joined him. "Carl, what's the matter? You look like you're in a state of shock?"
"Lookit this, Emma! It's a brand new sign with no bullet holes in it! They musta just put it up. I betcha I've driven through Texas a hunnert times and I've never seen a sign that wasn't full of bullet holes. Get your Instamatic out and take a photo of me next to this landmark."
"OK. And then what?"
"Then I get one of my guns out and put the first hole in it before somebody else beats me to it."
"Carl, when are you going to grow up? I swear!"
"Hey, I'm not the one who wants to go see Sandy Claus."

Carl and Emma eventually reached California, and drove North along the coast, staying as always, two miles per hour over the speed limit. The Whale handled surprisingly well, considering that it had three gas tanks, two air conditioners, a TV satellite dish on the roof, a generator, two roll-up awnings, trail bikes hanging on each end and, of course, a boat lashed to the roof.

They passed through California and once again marveled at the heavy woods of Oregon, and the staggeringly beautiful landscapes. Washington also offered its own particular brand of visual treats, even though it rained most of time and was very cold, bordering on snow.

It did snow in Canada, but lightly, and not enough to build up on the roads. The highways got lonely and traffic was sparse as they drove through the mountainous areas of British Columbia toward the Yukon Territory. Highway 97, the famed Alaskan Highway, took them north past Kluane and Burwash Landing and shortly after, they crossed the border into Alaska. Even though it was cold, there was very little snow on the ground and they stayed comfy-cozy in the spacious cab of The Whale.

Here, they picked up Highway 2 - a great road - into the heart of Alaska and then swung north on Route 6. The terrain got meaner looking and the weather colder. Emma got out the brochure for Santa's Village and gave Carl the appropriate rights and lefts, until finally, near the northern part of Alaska, they ran out of paved road and saw the sign that ominously read, "Santa's Village, 41 Miles. Unpaved Road. Travel At Your Own Risk!"

The road was nastily, rutted, slick with frozen patches of ice, and studded with tire shredding rocks. Much to Carl's credit, he piloted the huge Suburban with skill and grace, and three hours later, arrived at the entrance to Santa's Village, one very tired off-roader.

superbuickguy

Explorer
Emma popped into the office and registered for their room, picking up a fistful of brochures and a half-dozen souvenirs in the process. She was bright-eyed and smiling. "Carl, we just have time to freshen up before the seven o'clock show."
Carl raised his eyes skyward and mumbled, "Whoopee."

The show was as bad as Carl thought it would be. The audience consisted of about 14 white-haired old women accompanied by bored-looking husbands. Little elves danced around the dinky stage to scratchy recorded music, while a fat guy in a Santa suit ho-ho-ed like an axe murderer. A ratty-looking reindeer was dragged out on the stage and promptly did a disgusting act of nature on Santa's foot. Carl could have sworn he heard Santa say some words he hadn't heard since his Navy days.
They had a toy making demonstration that was so stupid Carl simply could not believe it, and then some more elves danced around like chickens with no brains and then the fat guy yelled ho-ho-ho some more, and mercifully, the curtain came down.

Carl and Emma had a very bad meal in the restaurant and then retired for the night. Carl was very happy that they'd be leaving the next day and fell asleep quickly.

Morning brought bright light through the windows and Carl quickly showered and dressed, then headed out to check on The Whale before the long drive back. Or at least he tried to. The door of the hotel room would not open.
Frustrated, Carl got on the hotel phone. "Hey, what's the deal? My door won't work!"
A chuckle was heard coming from the other end of the line. "Oh, nothing is wrong with your door, sir. We just had a bit of a snowfall. You might look out your window. I'll hold."
Carl looked out the window and saw nothing but white. Then he stood on the bed and looked out the six-inch gap that was not covered by snow. He could see the top of The Whale, and just the top. Snow was everywhere. Many feet of snow. Piles and piles of snow.
Carl grabbed the phone. "Hey, I've got to get out of here. The Super Bowl is right around the corner!"
"Sorry, sir, but we'll be snowed in for a few weeks. It happens up here like that, sort of sudden like. However, you won't be bored, because the elves will be having toy making workshops and you can get involved. By the way, sir ... Merry Christmas and a hearty ho-ho-ho to you!"
A thumping sound aroused Emma from a very deep slumber, and as she opened one sleep-encrusted eye, she saw Carl banging his head against the wall.
Emma pulled the blankets over her head and quietly went back to sleep.

superbuickguy

Explorer
starting to buy bits for this
a Whynter refrig - it's a freezer/Refrig combo

next up is a range, sink, a water tank/pump, batteries and solar panels.... then the building begins

bdp1978

Adventurer
I missed this for awhile but am glad to see another one of your threads. The FJ thread was great! Looking forward to watching the burb come together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles