superbuickguy

Explorer
heat, batteries, water
HjMWhBFh.jpg

and the cages still fit
tzjGq6Wh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
by golly, I think I'm going to make it....
wiring
7rzejlLh.jpg

7Y0WPMxh.jpg

put a bull nose on the step and the platform is done (enough)....
Jrb6V6fh.jpg

even washed it
VZfm9vJh.jpg

just need to run the fuel hose for the heater and a bit of exhaust.... it'll be plush :)

superbuickguy

Explorer
and the camping trip (Northwest Overland Rally)... note this is a place where everyone's perfect trip is away from people in the hinterland
home sweet car
EXARVyVh.jpg

safe mastiff space
PRIxKQKh.jpg

beginning welding
ow54M3ah.jpg

something reasonably sized
HLEtvO4h.jpg

last year, this field was pretty much empty
DGvW2J7h.jpg

7AyT64Sh.jpg

Buick survived far better this year
T6ckX0Ph.jpg

our field hospital...
qXohXWDh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
so this never gets updated because the truck simply works without drama. Until now, suddenly I started getting a leak on the passenger side... finally pulled the rack apart today - and sure enough, rust means it's leaking - and it's fixed, with roofing patch.... :) the best part about the fix is someone, sometime will rebuild this truck and say ******.... then they'll say what I said F it

qgWDoV2h.jpg

VAUkLvVh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
the leak is fixed, onto having headlights that illuminate things when driving
before
9aUY7Vvh.jpg

during
kInMIwFh.jpg

after
PMNKFjdh.jpg

trendy, yes, but cheap..... cheap is good

superbuickguy

Explorer
The whale is about to get some love. But first an aside. I was right, I can admit it here because my wife doesn't come in here.... she came encumbered with a Prius and a Smart car. She drives a Jeep and "hates" the Suburban.... but does she? I haven't driven it in months..... she has.... it's just 'handy' - yep, she still 'hates' it but it's become the yardstick by which her next vehicle is measured. I've said it before and I'll said it again.... you can't have just one Suburban and once you do you will either own (at least) one or have sold yours and you're looking for another. I have a lot of really neat cars, but if it all hit the fan - the one 'car' I'm taking is the Suburban....

it's been awhile since I dropped in... been building non-expedition-kind-of-stuff (I know, wasting my time).... but the Suburban is so reliable that honestly, it gets used, abused, and forgotten... but it's time for some updates and here it begins

this thing is going to get some love.... it gets custom cages, cleaned up, new tires and I'll continue to beat it for every penny of the $300 it owes me.

these rims came from the 38s that are on my '40. when I knocked them apart for the beadlocks, I realized these are pretty expensive (at the time) internal bead lock rims (think circa 1990s)... my wheels on my Colorado have the same idea - but these were the first.... and the work but chrome is so 90s.

clean em up
DdJqmib.jpg

the bead locks
yF5BGyi.jpg

wJsZIiF.jpg

and now they're black
q8M7Iss.jpg

and for those counting.... it has 250,000 miles on its diesel... chassis is nearing 350,000...

superbuickguy

Explorer
So, went to Idaho for New Year's, drove from Boise to Seattle (even had to pop it into 4wd once). 483 miles, 31 gallons of fuel with the defroster (A/C) going the entire way (3 large dogs put a lot of moisture in the air), on a motor with 230,000 miles. Tell me again why people hate the 6.2/6.5 so much? I didn't stop for fuel and still could have gone at least a 100 more miles before it was in the red. And before the "it's slow" hate. Left at 9 am, got to Seattle at 5 (with a 1 1/2 hour traffic jam on Snoqualmie).... 70-80 mph the entire way, if the dogs and I had stronger bladders, we would have been faster - but alas, 2 stops for poo were required.

At the risk of people finally realizing the US Armed forces weren't stupid with them in their Humvees and therefore raising the price on them.... they're a damn good motor. Not just that but the turbo from the 5.7 Cummins is a nice upgrade. You won't win any races but I paid $300 for my diesel Suburban... tell me about how much you spent for your 200,000 mile Dodge.... For those who have done the drive, I held speed limit in all but a couple moments in the Blues and once in the hill climb out of Pendleton.

and I'm not bringing this up but for this sole reason. Overlanding has always been about the path less traveled. If you want to get into this amazing adventure but do so without spending huge sums (e.g. my wife wants a D110, projects start at 25,000 usd) look at Suburbans. They're cheap to buy, build, maintain and drive. They're reliable, they have huge space inside, and they even get remarkably good mpg.

superbuickguy

Explorer
brake was hanging up... I think I found the problem
3Kb9zrL.jpg

what amazes me is I didn't do the brakes on this (they twisted the brake line when they installed the caliper) - so it's been like this for literally years... finally said 'enough' and hung the brake - which also warped the rotor.

not fun to take apart... my poor 15mm socket didn't survive 2 wheels
y6GNqZI.jpg

0brdKYU.jpg

and fixeded
lfoFRwj.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior