Spring pockets.
tthGUDFh.jpg

does it work?
ZZx2LQOh.jpg

works fine on the passenger side, driver's side, decisions are being made
hPskA9jh.jpg

with some mods...
vf2QJXeh.jpg

the schedule 40 tube is a bit larger - I need that space - so a bit of shaving and it's fine
P7k7N1Xh.jpg

rather then being an inch above the frame (optimal), it'll be even with the frame top...
dBWbqOUh.jpg

and it works... though it seems a bit angry
UhYeQJGh.jpg

passenger side too
A0xButUh.jpg

3 pods, 3 gauges, tach, EGT, boost
c86vE4Lh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
today's side fun. I need 2 of those hooky things... bought this kit to replace the chinese junk I've been suffering with.... but the whole reason to purchase... yeah, I got half the parts I needed... damn
G4ZYVYyh.jpg

in news, one tack holding it in place... that I'll need to knock apart... no worries, this is still in the fitting stage. still finding it hard to believe that it's all going to fit, but there it is right before my eyes so I've gotta believe it.
DevFhurh.jpg

passenger side is better and might get burned into place
LGf1ZPrh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
Thank you.... never intended for it to be 3 build rigs (plus a few walk ons) but it actually makes more sense here because the progression is here

Oops - wasn't planning on getting this far tonight
p6OJkLFh.jpg

tonight's plan was get the clutch pedals installed
ntgwoKah.jpg

then brown santa arrived, so I got distracted
VUjYZPyh.jpg

figured out what the 'kit' was missing....
P9WUCFqh.jpg

elbows, the pan fitting was supposed to be steel... ah well
xUpea7Vh.jpg

the good news is what was sent, fits... which is actually kind of an exception
P9WUCFqh.jpg

back to work
well, maybe I should put the new throwout and slave cylinder on... then realize I need another part that I thought I already had
q6fzTOgh.jpg

to put the master cylinder (that I don't have) in place... I needed to remove the fender and get after all the stuff that was stored on the fender
BfNXgGRh.jpg

cece241h.jpg

I did have success, I put another hole in the floor
0yPMJMFh.jpg

what I didn't realize was that after removing the inner fender, the fender was held on by 3 bolts...so it came off.. need to anyway but it wasn't in the plan for tonight
p6OJkLFh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
I have every master cylinder but the right one
UjEOyNx.jpg

I ordered the right one - forgot GM went to hydraulic clutches in these in the 80s... so I ordered a replacement and the correct line to make it all work
this poor table, as much as I am leary of HF stuff, this one has taken the abuse .... but not to clear it off to abuse it again
RSf9ujQ.jpg

500 lbs lol
oDoc1pW.jpg

and it carried the truck there for a minute
0AXNNH8.jpg

strap it, lift it, move it
lCs6nfW.jpg

the hole is in the wrong spot so moving it around... I abuse my trans lift even more
CDE1j2B.jpg

I need to clear the lift, to do that means making space - so I might as well do two things at once, and get the trans in the truck

superbuickguy

Explorer
somewhere in here is where the clutch master cylinder is installed... of course, GM buried it under insulation so some work is going to be required...
szUiDnyh.jpg

not winning, time to do a detour
wzhlefGh.jpg

I want to use the crane to install the motor - so time to move stuff around
T7DgqhMh.jpg

getting closer to making it move... trans is in - not showing the butcher job I did on the shifter... it wasn't pretty
MRPnf9Gh.jpg

thankfully I know a couple of things about sheet metal work....

superbuickguy

Explorer
as the sun sets on other projects
u56j2M8h.jpg

time to get back onto completing this
ocEYs7ph.jpg

but first, time to block the motor up - this stand does not give me warm fuzzies on its strength
Hk6y2mSh.jpg

I was reading somewhere about someone getting some lines crossed on their 6.5... didn't think much about it but decided to check while on these... good thing I did those front two were wrong
NJdgKLih.jpg

these were fine but I spent more than a little bit of time on them because those two lines that weren't right had been Bubba modified
GqhAAguh.jpg

people who know 6.2/6.5 motors will see how ******kd up lines to 2 and 4 were
89mYQpjh.jpg

close, but as long as they don't rub, they're good.... I'm also not quite done because I need to tie lines together to prevent them from contact. Do I know where all my other 6.2 lines are? yep, I scrapped them just before I moved in May *d'oh*
fpXJuOrh.jpg

also started on the clutch.... a 83 c10 master cylinder... just need to figure out the thread pitch and get an AN adapter
4v9CjBxh.jpg

strangely, the easy part was getting the adapter to the throwout.... it interchanges with pretty much any manual transmission circa the 90s
wp5on68h.jpg

PSG8F8lh.jpg

as part of 'clearing the shop out' I figured I might as well put the right top on it and the 'other' top outside
rfkTNCTh.jpg

have I mentioned how much I love the crane?
ZgDq7kmh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
tonight's fun and games - install the EGT sensor
EpKHnpEh.jpg

weld the oil return to the blank where the mechanical fuel pump installs
qdFeyseh.jpg

and build a CAD template for the oil feed - explanation - the oil feed for the 6.5 TD (van edition, aka h1 hummer edition) is in front of the oil drive. Can't use the drain, for obvious reasons) but might as well use the feed for the new turbo since it avoids the perilous route that the stock system uses on trucks.
qdFeyseh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
while Paul was working on his motor or on polishing my C3 - I spent a few minutes on the Blazer
cardboard becomes steel
Y8iByReh.jpg

then welded
izFPA0eh.jpg

carefully weld with just a touch proud so it compresses the rubber seal in the block
ahULCSAh.jpg

view of how it runs
MxnbABch.jpg

truth be told, I'm probably not going to do much painting.... why? my plan is wear the axles to knubs and make this my go-to-go-anywhere rig. The bare metal, yeah, a bit but nothing like the '40. If it needs to be show-worthy, it'll get pulled apart again and just painted.... body gets paint because I hate driving cars that look like crap... but it will be pretty understated - and likely a refresh of what it already looks like.

superbuickguy

Explorer
motor is pretty much ready to drop in - just need to get some fuel hose and finish the oil drain
LKACpDbh.jpg

rpLR6P7h.jpg

of course the problem is when? I might be able to sneak a couple hours tomorrow during the day - but the week gets really busy until Thursday.... then I need to finish the Corvette and get it into the trailer.

superbuickguy

Explorer
I don't love this work.... time to put the master cylinder in the firewall
Hu1Ieiph.jpg

DHljHO0h.jpg

why or why GM did you make this such an utter PITA?
hiLwlnSh.jpg

so I got the replacement, main fuel line
0sOoHJQh.jpg

then realized I may need to look a lot closer at how to make the cruise control work - the last version of the cooling system has 2 thermostats in that housing... which is dead in the middle of where I need to put the CC stuff (and throttle cable)...
x9Ycsb7h.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
first order of business was pressure wash in a windstorm - I'd like you to note that left gate looks functional.... it won't at the end of this post
but it's being pressure washed because I am not replacing the core support for 2, 2x4" rusted out pieces of metal. SEMA quality? no. Care? no.
xGMEmCFh.jpg

I ordered 12x1.0mm to - 4 an, the receipt even says so... the only bright side here
R9YSaCAh.jpg

is that I can weld
P5N4mmzh.jpg

iAjJPFkh.jpg

and works
9YOpXiFh.jpg

then onto door hinges... should be simple, right?
iCam2WYh.jpg

no but I won....
RCtLhsjh.jpg

for a diesel, they said... uh, no... again, some modification will be required
YEnl39Mh.jpg

evening was going bad enough that I figured I might as well swap pedals
hiLwlnSh.jpg

you know, the engineer who decided to bolt these things in two directions - I don't care if he saved Mother Theresa, that bastard will burn in hell longer then the devil
7JCe9fGh.jpg

just have to take out a few parts
PryILWXh.jpg

this is pedals mostly out
PryILWXh.jpg

didn't get an out picture because of what came next
about 5 minutes after this picture the gate blew open (broke the hydraulics) and mini-terrorist went off to visit the horses.... of course, I didn't know any of this for about 30 minutes
eLPm05eh.jpg

I was busy trying to remove the first part GM put into the truck after the keel was laid.

superbuickguy

Explorer
there was some judicious cutting done... adapting the clutch to the 86 tree
psEMHMuh.jpg

and more chopping
3lgUwL9h.jpg

clamping
eRBzrGPh.jpg

rewelded and now waiting for new bushings.... they're worn and it'll be a cold day in Hawaii before I pull this apart to fix it
on to the next bit... a brace
a8rAckUh.jpg

this holds the master cylinder to the firewall
qNHGjEHh.jpg

and paint...
1z3OZl3h.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
I should note that the reason I did all the work on the pedal tree is that, while the trees are basically the same, there are quite a few things on the tree which were added over the years (and the direction of two bolts for the master cylinder)... since my basic plan is keep the basic wiring the same... it takes less time to make the original tree one for a clutch then it is to modify the older one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles