The Wanderers build

superbuickguy

Explorer
It was neat today with the AC running without the truck running. Go into the store, truck off, come back and it's a nice 75 degrees inside.... can't wait for my better inverter to arrive... anyway, all was not perfect. For some reason a door was sticking in the hvac system and blowing cold air on my feet and a trickle from the mid vents.... put vacuum to the system and it works fine again (boosted vacuum)... maybe has some stick after all the years of not working.
while I was at it, I figured I'd see if more air would help with the boost...
P8030959_zpsb0fud4e8.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
nope... on the list... first is air conditioning (I have my priorities straight - one must be cool before one cures the oil-infused-smoke-screen that is caused by the failed seals in my turbo).

superbuickguy

Explorer
someone once asked what's taking my time... this stinking deck is the issue... and those doors below it will take my Sunday. *rant off*

P8040961_zps9psplcsn.jpg

bought a decent inverter/charger... the tl;dr will be and it doesn't work as well as the other inverter... needs more cowbell for sure
P8040962_zpsetwd38qo.jpg

P8040963_zpssapzkp74.jpg

I think it's major malfunction is the batteries are 60% of capacity (ignore the display, it's lying to us) by experience I know it won't work below 73% - and it's not had 24 hours to recover from the last time I drained it low... ah well, along with cowbell comes the plug it in ability I have now
P8040964_zpsoxjs10d4.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
THE WANDERERS #29

POKING AROUND FOR A LITTLE BIT OF THE PAST

By Rick Sieman

When we last left Carl and Emma, they had just left a crooked mechanic in an utter state of dismay. We join them now, as they head north, toward St Louis, with The Whale purring gently along at exactly two miles per hour over the speed limit.

Carl bit off a plug of tobacco and stuffed it in his left cheek, then he took a huge bite of a Triple Whopper hamburger and stuffed that in his right cheek. This was followed by a small handful of greasy french fries that went in the front of his mouth. Somehow, he managed to chew the burger, the fries and the chaw without getting them mixed up.
Or at least Emma thought he kept them separated! She shuddered at the thought of any human being eating food mixed with chewing tobacco juice. "Carl, how can you eat food and chew tobacco at the same time?"
"Hmmopph? Thhhsss go frprommman. thfff.."
"Never mind, dear. I guess I shouldn't ask you to talk with your mouth full."
Carl reached up on the console, grabbed a bottle of Yoo Hoo Chocolate Soda and somehow managed to get a drink past everything else in his mouth. Emma shuddered.
Carl disposed of the fries first, then transferred the burger home. "What I was sayin', is that it takes practice. Many is the time when I was in the Navy, that I had to grab a bite on the run. You learn some valuable skills in the service. Why, how do you think I learned how to eat breakfast, go to the bathroom and shine my shoes all at the same time?"
Emma just shook her head. "Well, are you still going to stop in St. Louis and see your old friend who owns that motorcycle shop?"
"Sure, if he's still alive. Old Fat Jack was pushin' 70 when I used to race motocross. I ain't seen him for 20 years at the very least. That old buzzard taught me everything that I know about dirt bikes. He used to be a great rider in his days, back when men was men and bikes were, too."
Emma looked confused. "I'm not sure I understand that, dear?"
Carl laughed. "Hah! you wouldn't. Because racin' is a man's sport. How do you think I got to be such a great off-roader? By learnin' on dirt bikes when I was a kid, that's how. I read in the magazines where lots of the best racers learnt on dirt bikes. Rod Mears, Ironbutt Stewart, Roger Hall, Dan Adams, Murray Esquerra, Walter Evans, Gordy Gordon, Parsley Jones, Snoot Vessels... you name 'em. Dirt is dirt, and dirt bikes ride on the dirt. Hard to argue with that logic."
Emma didn't even try.
"Anyways, I hope the old coot is still alive. He usta have a Triumph, BSA, Greeves and Bultaco dealership back then. I was one of the first guys to race a 'Bul. Man, I flew on those things! 'Course, it wasn't real reliable. I think I only finished four races in three years. Or was it three races in four years? Either way, I was a force to be dealt with back then.
"I was stationed near St. Louis back then before I met you. You shoulda seen me ride, Emma. Poultry in motion! I made moves that even dazzled me! Sometimes I'd go sixty, seventy feet off the jumps, with one hand in the air, wavin' to all the pretty girls. In fact, I once jumped over eleven guys at one time to take the lead, but got disqualified for cuttin' the course. You see, I jumped from the sixth turn all the way to the eighth turn in the air, without touchin' a wheel down in turn seven. The crowd went nuts!"
Emma's eyes were wide! "So that's why you can ride our trail bikes so good! I thought it was just a natural talent."
Carl beamed. "Oh yes, it's that, of course. But a lot of it has to do with incredible balance, keen eyesight and a feel for machinery. Hmmmm. Wonder what that thumping sound is? Hope I didn't hit some poor animal...."
Emma looked up from her knitting. "You just flipped a tread on your left rear tire. I felt it "bubble" a few miles back, but didn't want to interrupt you while you were talking. Shall I get out and change it for you, dear?"
"Naw. You did them last two flats. I owe you one."

Twenty minutes later they were under way, and a half hour after that, St. Louis popped into view. Emma got out the map and read the directions to Carl, and not much later, The Whale pulled up in front of a huge motorcycle shop. The sign said "MOTORCYCLES 'R US", and dozens of brand new gleaming bikes were lined up in front of the huge plate glass windows.

Carl parked The Whale in front, and walked inside. There was a machine directly by the door with a sign on it: “Take a number, please." Salesmen were flitting around the Salesmen WITH DAMNED TIES ON! Carl was stunned! What motorcycle shop was this?
Carl walked up to the counter. “Uh, ‘scuse me, but is this here …”
The lady behind the counter (lady!!!), smiled. “What's your number, sir? We're serving number 92 right now."
Carl took a deep breath. "Lookee here, is Fat Jack still around, or is he dead?"
She looked startled. “You don't mean Mr. Splinkowitz, do you?"
Carl beamed. "Yeah! You mean that old buzzard is still alive? Well, I'll be! Is he around? If he is, go git him."
The lady looked startled. "Oh, I couldn't do that, sir! He's the boss and nobody bothers him when he's in his office."
Carl fixed the lady with a cold stare. "Well, tell you what. You get your butt back in there and tell him old Crash and Burn Carl is out here, ready to race again."
She stuttered and stammered for a while, but gave up and headed toward the back of the huge dealership.

Less than a minute later, a huge man with a large nose, three chins and an imposing beer gut charged up to the counter. "Carl! Old Crash and Burn Carl! As I live and breath. Thought I'd never see you again, not after you blew up three of my bikes in one day, and set a fourth one on fire when you took out the hot dog stand and nearly killed the ambulance driver.
"What brings you here? Wait. Don't tell me... let me guess? You're here for the Old Timers Motocross Nationals this weekend. Wow! I am impressed. Didn't think you had it in you anymore."
Carl looked at the crusty face of his old friend and sponsor, smiled weakly, and answered: "Uhh, yeah... that's what I'm here for all right. Can't stay away from racing, you know."
Fat Jack beamed.
Emma let out a low moan and started pounding her head against the counter.

Good grief! Is Carl really going to race again, after all these years? And will Emma let him? And if he does, will he get severely killed several times over? We'll find out next month.

superbuickguy

Explorer
THE WANDERERS #30

CARL PUTS ON HIS MOTOCROSS RACE-FACE

By Rick Sieman

We we last left Carl and Emma, they had just arrived at a motorcycle dealership in St. Louis to look up an old friend, Fat Jack Splinkowitz. Fat Jack owned "MOTORCYCLES R US," a modern fancy facility that was a far cry from the old grubby bike shop Carl remembered with great fondness. More than twenty years ago, Carl used to race dirt bikes out of Fat Jack's shop.
Carl was surprised to see the huge facility, and was pleasantly surprised to see that Fat Jack had not changed much in the last two decades. Even though he was over 80 years old, he was still huge, with a large nose and three chins. We pick them up as they greet each other:

"Carl! Old Crash and Burn Carl! As I live and breath. Thought I'd never see you again, not after you blew up up three of my bikes in one day, and set a fourth one on fire when you took out the hot dog stand and nearly killed the ambulance driver.
"What brings you here? Wait. Don't tell me... let me guess? You're here for the Old Timers Motocross Nationals this weekend. Wow! I am impressed. Didn't think you had it in you anymore."
Carl smiled weakly, and answered: "Uhh, yeah... that's what I'm here for all right. Can't stay away from racing, you know."
Fat Jack beamed, and Emma let out a low moan and started pounding her head against the counter.
"She Ok?" Fat Jack was genuinely concerned.
"Uhhh, yeah. This here's Emma, and when she gets hungry, she gets cranky."
Fat Jack smiled. "Well, then, hells-fire, man. Let's catch a meal. It's on me."

While Fat Jack was up at the bar ordering drinks and sandwiches, Emma ripped into Carl with a vengeance. "You big boob, what do you mean that you're going to enter a dirt bike race? You have haven't raced a bike in over 20 years!"
"Yeah, honey-pot, that's true, but I ride our trail bike all the time."
"What? If you count riding down to the store for a six pack and a bag of chips off-roading, then you're in great shape for racing. The last time you even got those tires in the dirt was when we ran out of gas and you rode across that farmers field with a gas can on your lap. And you're going to race a bunch of kids? Hah!"
"Well, now, Emma... they ain't exactly kids. Old Timers are over 40, ya know."
"Carl, compared to you, they ARE kids."
"C'mon, Emma. You really shouldn't worry. After all, like they say, once you learn how to swim or ride a bicycle, you never forget."
Emma remained unimpressed.
"Hmmmph. Carl, I've seen you swim, and it looks like you're trying to ride a bicycle in the water. If you think that you're going to race..."
Fat Jack wallowed up to the table, with three pitchers of beer in each hand, and a waitress behind him with a huge tray of hamburgers and fries. "Here we go folks. A little snack to hold us over 'till dinner."
Both Carl and Emma were stunned! There were are least two dozen burgers and fries on the huge tray. Emma's eyes bugged out. "Is all of this for us, Mr. Splinkowitz?"
"Heck no, little lady. We got some cole slaw, onion rings and fried zucchini coming up. By the way, just call me Fat Jack. Everybody else does."

With that, Fat Jack proceeded to show why he was not skinny, as he quickly ate six double burgers and washed them down with two full pitchers of suds, before he relaxed and leaned forward to chat. "There, that takes the edge off. Now then, Carl. What class you want to race in?"
"Uhhh, whataya got? I don't want to take advantage of anyone, ya know."
"Well, we got Beginner, Novice, Amateur, Expert and Master. Then we also got these divided into over 40 and over 50 years old. I know you're over 50, but you might not want to run with the Experts. Some of those old guys are pretty quick. How about signing up as an amateur?"
Carl started on his third burger and answered: “ggdddoo ppppprrepp slluuuup szooodd...”
Emma cut in. "Carl, how many times have I asked you not to talk with your mouth full?"
Carl grunted and swallowed a mouthful the size of a grapefruit. "Sorry. But these are great burgers. Anyways, I usta be an Expert, and I say once an expert, always an Expert. Anyways, more important than that, what kind of bike are you gonna line me up with, Fat Jack? You know I don't like 125s and 250s. They just don't have enough beans to pull a real man around the old course. You got a decent open class bike around, like a nice 360, or a 400?"
Fat Jack laughed. "Where you been, boy? Them days are gone forever. Nowadays, we got full 500 cc bikes and even bigger four strokes. But I'll tell you what. If you want some horsepower, sling a leg over a 540 KTM. It's got plenty of beans and it's the biggest two stroke around."
Carl beamed. "That's for me! Serious horsepower. Yup."
Fat Jack leaned over and whispered in Carls ear. "Boy, your missus is sure putting the suds away. She's on her third pitcher already!"
Carl scratched his chin and looked puzzled. "Odd. She hardly ever drinks more than one or two glasses of Boones Farm Strawberry Delight. Must be the excitement of the upcoming racing."

Three days later, Carl drove The Whale down the dirt road leading into Chicken Licks Raceway, paid the gate fee and found a nice level place to park and set up camp. The scene around him brought back many wonderful old memories: people were cooking breakfast and warming up coffee over small campfire stoves, tents and motor homes were everywhere, and a seemingly endless wall of trucks and vans of every type and size filled in the gaps.

And the bikes! Long, tall and lean, the new dirt bikes were brutal-looking, singular-purpose machines with one thought dominating their design: to go as fast as possible off-road. Carl found Fat Jack next to an impressive-looking display of bikes and ATVs under a huge tent with a MOTORCYCLES R US sign on the front. Beautiful young ladies with string bikinis and great tans were handing out brochures to goggle-eyed potential customers.

Fat Jack dragged Carl under the tent and pointed. "There she is! One nearly brand new KTM 540. It's a demo model." Fat Jack leaned over and whispered in Carls ear: "Don't say anything, Carl, but this one here is sorta special. It's got a ported barrel, a special pipe and a trick over-size carb. I mean, the stock one is plenty fast, but when a customer slings a leg over this beauty, it scares the livin' hell out of him, and he's got to have it! Anyway, you're already signed up, so why don't you get your gear on and get some practice laps in."

An hour later, Carl had his riding gear on and was trying to figure how to get his leg over the saddle of the ultra-tall bike. With the aid of a stout milk crate, Carl eventually got seated and fired up the big Austrian mount.
His first few laps were a study in terror. Every time he cracked the throttle on the 540, a huge rooster tail would spurt out from the rear wheel and the front end would point up to the sky. Before Carl had gone ten minutes, his forearms were cramped up and he was breathing like a rabbit being pursued by the hounds of hell.

A humbled Carl pulled into the pits and leaned the KTM against the side of The Whale. Emma was sitting in a lawn chair, reading a Harlequin romance thriller, and looked up from underneath her large straw hat. "Still alive, I see. Well, champ, do you still have all your old moves?"
Carl shook his head. "Boy, this may have been a big mistake, Emma. This thing is so powerful that I can barely hang on. Oh well, at least I only have to ride one 30 minute race, instead of the usual two race format. Meanwhile, I'm gonna lay here in the shade like a beached carp and try to rest up before the start. Jeez, Emma... I sorta forgot how tough this sport was."

Two hours later, they called Carl's class to the starting line. Forty riders lined up, revving their engines, with puffs of light blue smoke burping out of the exhaust pipes. Carl figured he would play it safe and not try for a good start. No sense getting tangled up in first turn traffic.
To play it safe, Carl slipped the big KTM bike into third gear, instead of taking off in first like he normally would. Carl assumed that the 540 would ease off the line in third, instead of digging trenches.

The gate dropped and the pack roared off the line. The 540 hesitated a moment as Carl slipped the clutch, then came to life and thundered off the line like a top fueler.
Sooner than he expected, Carl approached the first turn with the motor howling, only to find the turn full of bikes.
In an advanced state of panic, Carl did what many old time riders used to do out of bad habit. He laid it down. Or at least he tried to. The KTM went into a full lock slide at full throttle, and blasted into the cluster of bikes.
Both tires knocked bikes down like pins in a bowling alley, and Carl was frozen at the controls, and left the throttle on. Perhaps it was this that lent the bike a semblance of control, as the fierce gyro effect of the spinning rear wheel literally flipped other bikes out of the way, and kept the chassis from flopping over on its side.
Carl closed his eyes and figured death was near. What a way to go! Flat out, in the first turn at a motocross race! Well, at least Emma would have something to talk about after the funeral.
A moment later, Carl opened his eyes, mostly because all of the crashing and sounds of impact had stopped. He squeezed the clutch in and rolled to a stop about 25 feet past the first turn, then looked back to see what had happened.
Good Lord! There were exactly 39 bikes in a giant pile-up, and Carl was not part of the carnage. Well, he figured, better lucky than skillful, so he slipped the clutch and darted off down the course.

It was a full two laps before they got the mass of bikes untangled, and Carl used the time to circulate around the course, using as little energy as possible. Even so, his arms started pumping up, his hands turned into claws and his legs started to burn like he was running a marathon with Kate Smith strapped to his back. Little red dots danced in front of his eyes, and his breath got more and more ragged. His mouth felt like someone had stuffed a bag full of dog hair inside.
Emma gave him a signal with a chalk board. Whoa! Someone was closing fast. His lead had dropped from two laps, to less than 20 seconds. Carl picked up the pace a bit, but this just made things worse. The bike was now literally an out-of-control projectile. All Carl could do was hang on and hope that the rider behind would not catch him.

With a half lap left to go, Carl heard the sound of the pursuing rider behind him and gave it everything he had. A long section of sandy bumps separated him from the checkered flag, but the rider darted past Carl on the outside, and wheelied by to take the checkered flag and the win.
Carl slowly rode to the pits, let the bike lean against The Whale, and slumped to the ground, heaving and gasping. Emma ran up, removed his helmet and gave him a big hug.
"Well, dear. At least you got second. I'm very proud of you!"
Carl groaned. "Man, that guy got me right at the end. I thought I had the win. Well, the guy earned it, coming back from two laps down. Who was he, anyways?"
Emma beamed "Oh, that was your friend, Fat Jack. Isn't it wonderful that a man his age could ride that fast? And on a little 125 cc bike, to boot!"
Carl moaned. "Emma, get me a beer. No. Make that about 14 beers. I think I have just officially retired from motocross forever."

superbuickguy

Explorer
THE WANDERERS # 31

ROLLING SNAKE EYES IN NEW MEXICO!

By Rick Sieman

We join them now, as Carl drives The Whale north on Interstate 25 toward Albuquerque, New Mexico, at exactly two miles an hour over the speed limit. Emma is sitting at the fold-down table with road maps spread all over the place, a frown on her face. Carl bites off a plug of tobacco, and asks: “Hmmmphs pparsziitt foooo dap phaarod?”
“Carl, how many times have I asked you not to talk when you fill your mouth with a fresh wad of that terrible stuff? I simply cannot understand a word you're saying!”
Carl shifted the wad to his left cheek, making him look like a very large chipmunk. “Sorry, dear. What I was asking was how far is it to the road, so we can get un-lost again? Ya know, if you had kept an eye on those maps two days ago, we'd be in Canada by now, instead of here in New Jersey.”
Emma sighed. “We're in New Mexico, Carl. About a hundred miles south of Albuquerque. And the reason we're here instead of in Canada, is because you said you knew the way and didn't need a map. I tried to tell you when you headed west out of St. Louis that you were going the wrong way, but you wouldn't listen. And you still wouldn't listen when we passed through Oklahoma City, and then you refused to believe that we were in Forth Worth. Remember? You told me that Fort Worth was Cleveland and that we'd be seeing Lake Erie real soon. Then you made a “course correction” to get us headed north again, and we ended up in El Paso. Do you remember all that, Carl.”
Carl rolled the window of The Whale down and spit a brown gob in a long graceful arc, hitting the lower left hand corner of a speed limit sign. “Well, vaguely, I guess. Anyways, keep an eye out for a road that'll take us over to see the Continental Divide. I hear it's around this area, and I'd like to see it.”
Emma ran her finger down the map. “Okee-dokee, turn left on highway 90. It should be coming up real soon. That'll take us through Kingston and toward Silver City.”

Soon, The Whale was rumbling smoothly down the more interesting back roads, surrounded by the spectacular New Mexico scenery. Carl pulled off to stop for gas and Emma let out a squeal of delight as she saw a big display of Indian pottery for sale to the side of the station. Emma examined the beautifully painted clay pots until Carl joined her after pumping 92 gallons of premium unleaded in the huge tanks.
Emma went from one pot to another: “They're all so beautiful, Carl. I don't know which ones to get.”
“Woman, you gotta know your way around this stuff, or you're gonna get burned. Now, how many do you want?”
“About a half dozen, so we can give them as gifts to our relatives in Ohio on our way to Canada.”
“OK, stand back woman and let me handle this. Carl walked over to the Indian lady seated on a blanket. “How much are these here, Pocahontas?”
“The ones on the left are fifteen bucks and the ones on the right are ten; and the name is Margie.”

Carl spent a good deal of time choosing the pots, and eventually bought four from the left side and two from the right. He paid Margie and went to get The Whale while the pots were being wrapped in newspaper. Emma, curious as ever, asked Margie: “What's the big difference between the pots on the left and the ones on the right? I mean, they're all beautiful, but ...“
Margie let out a small smile. “Beats me. I guess some people just like to pay fifteen bucks and some people like to pay ten bucks. Human nature, you know.”

Carl and Emma decided to get off the black top and explore some of the many dirt roads criss-crossing the landscape. One could never tell what might be found while wandering. Emma sipped at her Yoo Hoo chocolate soda and enjoyed the scenery, while Carl piloted The Whale on the empty dirt roads at leisure speeds. Emma's reverie was shattered when Carl let out a huge whoop. “Looka there, Emma! Hot damn, a real rattlesnake roundup is happenin', and we're lucky enough to be in just the right place at the right time.”
Carl pointed at a hand-painted sign, that read: RATTLESNAKE ROUNDUP TODAY ONLY - PRIZES, FOOD, FUN AND SNAKES. An arrow at the bottom of the sign pointed to a fork in two-track dirt road.
Without a moments hesitation, Carl whipped The Whale to the left and gassed the big Suburban, while singing at the top of his lungs, “Oh, we're gonna catch us some snakes... doobie-doobie-doo... big ole snakes in a sack ... yaba-yaba-doo... snakes, snakes, snakes... all day long...”
Emma hunched against the door, pale white, lower lip trembling. “Carl, you can't be serious! I'm scared to death of snakes, even itty-bitty garter snakes. And you're talking about rattle snakes! Are you nuts?”
“Nuts? Heck no! I been readin' about snake hunts since I was a kid and I've always wanted to be in one. Now here's my chance! Hoooooeeee!

A half hour later, they found the place. About 60 vehicles, mostly campers and trucks, were gathered around a flat area. A sign-up table was in the center of the area. Carl and Emma wandered around, chatting with some of the friendly folks. A board was up that had some of the rules posted and a list of prizes. The grand prize, naturally, was for the biggest snake caught, and that prize was a dandy: a wide man's belt inlaid with silver and studded with torquoise.
Carl just had to have a shot at that belt, so he plopped his $20 entry fee down and signed up, noting that the proceeds were going to a worthwhile local charity. The event was scheduled to start in less than an hour, and Carl used this time to make two tools; one was a long stick with a forked end, and the other was a long stick with small twine lasso on the end.
He demonstrated how these two sticks were to be used to Emma, who refused to look at the demonstration.

At 12 noon, the event started. Carl fired up The Whale, and immediately headed cross-country, following the natural trails, looking for rock out-croppings, fallen logs and other natural snake spots. Here, The Whale was in its element, as it quietly lumbered across the terrain, the huge tires barely leaving a footprint in the hard-packed ground.
Then Carl saw it; a huge rattler as thick around as a man's forearm and about six feet long, laying in the shadow of a half-rotten log.
Carl slipped The Whale into park and bolted out of the cab faster than Emma had ever seen him move. The big snake saw Carl and slithered over the log with surprising speed, but Carl ran around the back side of the log, and in a moment, had the neck of the snake pinned underneath the “V” at the end of the stick. It hissed frightfully, opened its huge jaws up wide and curled around the stick.
Carl quickly grabbed the snake directly behind the head and picked it up with two hands because it was so heavy. Emma squealed: “Ohhhh, kill it! Don't you dare bring that thing near me.”
“No way, Emma. We don't kill the snakes. After they're caught and milked, they release ‘em. Now hand me the bag, will ya?”
“What bag?”
“Didn't you pick up one of those snake sacks they had at sign-up?”
“No sir. I was not about to touch a snake bag, or snake sack, or whatever they call it.”
“Well then, hand me that old bowling bag in the back of the Suburban. The one with the torn carrying strap that I been meanin' to git fixed. That'll do just fine to hold junior here.”
Emma got the sack and threw it to Carl, refusing to get within arms reach of the squirming snake. Carl stuffed the highly irritated rattler in the bag and zipped it shut quickly. Then he placed the wiggling, lumpy bag on the front seat of The Whale.
Emma shrieked. “What are you doing, you bonehead? You just put that snake inside The Whale!”
Carl smiled. “No problem, Emma. Even though that baby there is probably big enough to be the winner, there's maybe an even bigger one around. There's a coupla hours left in the roundup, so I'm gonna romp around and see what I can find.”
The look on Carl's face was so happy that Emma didn't have the heart to yell at him. Carl bounded off like a kid at play, long forked stick waving in the air like some sort of bizarre police car antenna.

After two more hours, Carl wasn't able to find any bigger snakes, and headed back to the sign-up/judging area. Emma refused to ride in the front with the wriggling sack.
All of the snake hunters were talking and swapping tales, and the judges were counting, weighing and measuring snakes. Carl went to The Whale to retrieve his catch, which looked like a sure overall winner, but his jaw dropped like a trap door when he saw that the bag was empty. Apparently, the spot where the handle had torn of f the bowling bag was weak, and a seam had split right down the side of the bag.
Carl peered in the window just in time to see the big rattler slither up underneath the dashboard. A crowd gathered around soon, offering advice, most of it silly. One man, however, had the answer. “Easy. Just run a hose from someone's exhaust pipe in the crack in the window, and the carbon monoxide will knock the thing out.”

An hour later, the cab of The Whale was filled with exhaust smoke, and the tail of the rattler slumped down from the dash, and thumped to the floorboard hump.
Carl carefully got in and peered underneath the dash, then let out a groan, “The damn thing's all wound around the air conditioning ducting and wiring and tied up like a knot. What do I do now?”

Four hours later, long after the awards and prizes had been passed out and the crowds disbursed, Carl finally removed the snake from The Whale. The windshield was off, as were both doors. The dash and instruments were scattered all over the ground, and the guts of the air conditioning hung out like a disemboweled cow.
Carl sat down on his toolbox and sighed. The snake, recovering sluggishly, awoke, took one look at the carnage, and slithered away.
Emma quietly spoke: “Carl? Your snake is getting away.”
Carl grunted. “Don't mention snakes to me. I hate snakes!”

superbuickguy

Explorer
In news today, I bought a complete(ish) 6.5 - not sure what I'm going to do with it. It ran right up and until the point someone broke then misdrilled the starter holes on the block... I have another 6.5, but the 6.2 is running really well and I have far bigger fish to fry then swapping a motor.... but who knows, if I have the parts, it is likely that something else will break so perhaps this is an anti-murphy device? dunno...

and yes, I know, it's not a Cummins - but when 12v motors sell, running with less then 50k miles for $50.00.... we'll talk, until then, well, we'll talk too - there will be plenty of time to do so while I wander my way down the road.

superbuickguy

Explorer
I swear I'll get back to this shortly.... stupid honeydo lists.... I wish I was Ray and could pack the wife and kids in a Series Land Rover then drive around the world.... alas, no. I have to build a deck.

superbuickguy

Explorer
so outside of working on the deck all morning, going to a Corvette car show until 3, I paid and picked up this for $50. I now have enough to build a 6.5 diesel, though if I do, I'll buy new pistons to lower the compression.... Cummins makes a great motor, but the Detroit diesel is no Navistar

and a 2 wd 4l80e

needs rebuild but free is a very good price
and the turbo and starter

I'm going to say this here.... sometimes, all the hate comes from haters who don't know any better...

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Spare parts are always nice. Speaking of...

If in all your parts collecting, you end up with a spare power steering pump bracket that fits a 6.2, let me know. Mine is broken, and I'm not sure if there's enough meat left to weld back up. Haven't yanked it out yet because I don't have a pulley puller/installer, but I can see at least one ear is broken and the pump is wobbling causing the belt to squeal under load.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier