The Wanderers build

superbuickguy

Explorer
Do you recall what thickness and diameter of tubing you used on your roof rack?

.188 wall - diameter depended. Outside was 2x2, tube was 1 1/2, and the rack area (behind the solar panels) is 1x1... I think there's also some angle in a 2x2 as well for the panel mount...

superbuickguy

Explorer
News, pictures later, I hooked up a small air conditioner to the batteries/panel and found out that in direct sun I could literally go until the sun goes down. Indirect charging (e.g. after direct sun) I lose about 10% capacity per hour. Without any solar it will run for 3 hours..... that's without any additional cabin cooling from the suburban.

superbuickguy

Explorer
a nice person wouldn't say this, but I'm not nice. Thank you. I so appreciate all the people who told me I was an idiot for even considering solar-run a/c. It's people like you that give me the motivation to make you eat crow.

Ashton

"Just once, before you die, you really must try crow". New season coming up, just past the intro of the Thens on our watch through. Good info on the solar A/C. Thanks.

superbuickguy

Explorer
Picture time ... I've certainly had enough turkeys to last a lifetime
3 plus hours - and I really need to program this for the battery capacity - it never moved from this
P6250777_zpsh5bkuquj.jpg

these are pretty awesome at keeping the sun off
P6250774_zpsjiafka3g.jpg

the a/c test unit (eventually it'll be a coleman mach 8 on the roof)
P6250773_zpspe3oc44q.jpg

then onto other fun stuff
I was just thinking "you know, I haven't smelled like diesel in forever".... then "I need to change the fuel filter"
P6250778_zpsscbllh4d.jpg

and like everything else, it's never that easy.... on the lower right quadrant there's a knub that should be stiff not limp
P6250779_zpsidwxkjw8.jpg

and it's leaking.... hmmm, I wonder if this is part of my lack-of-power issue? (probably a good part since it'd let air in the lines)
P6250782_zpsuai1a49y.jpg

fortunately, I just happen to have another housing that I've been carting around for years - and don't go telling me you don't have one too
P6250780_zpsah5npzw1.jpg

new one installed... truck even runs again after all of this
P6250784_zpsytsgjddm.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
Very cool! I think the coleman units are more efficient as well. The new ones are leaps and bounds better than the old 80's style ones.

Did that fix the power issue?? Oil change and fuel filters are on my list for this week.... I too will have that nice aroma....

superbuickguy

Explorer
I don't know yet - I have a mechanical fan that's supposed to arrive today and I'll install that while it's still on the lift.... then try - but I do suspect that the power issue would have a lot to do with that

superbuickguy

Explorer
time to lose the electric fans
P6260785_zpst5jfn4ca.jpg

of course, the PO cut a huge hole in the shroud... that won't work
P6260786_zpstzjcs9xc.jpg

so a bit of aluminum and life is good
P6260787_zps3ax5wzz5.jpg

chet6.7

Explorer
and the rooftop a/c is on its way - a coleman mach 8, 9200 btu. I may add a heating element to it...
I would get the heating element,I had one without the heating element and wished I had it.
Please tell me more about the solar blanket,I have some sun shade material but the stuff you have may be better.How much does it claim to block? Does it breath or is it like a plastic tarp? Thanks.

Last edited:

superbuickguy

Explorer
It's made by Green-tek http://green-tek.com/shade-net-products/
It's nominal use is to shade plants while still letting light through for greenhouses. It works exceptionally well for keeping dogs cool because it reflects the sun while allowing air to move through it. Go to any dog show, and you'll see them all over... since we do K9 SAR, that's where it comes from and why it's on this rig.

superbuickguy

Explorer
Happy dance time. The filter housing was the issue with power. I still think the pump needs to be turned up and I need to add a bit more timing, but what a difference the housing made (which everyone knows air in fuel in a diesel is bad).... the other bit, the sender is garbage, so it's not overheating.... it indicated 205, the laser temp gauge showed between 136 and 156 depending on location....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz