The Wanderers build

superbuickguy

Explorer
and this is exactly what I'm doing except not a hearse
A Corvette LT1 engine, rebuilt and upgraded transmission, rearview camera/monitor, HID conversion headlights, 23" TV/DVD player, 9200 BTU 120V A/C, 100 watt solar panel w/control panel, 4-100 amp/hour battery Bank, 2000 watt Xantrex inverter/charger/transfer switch w/control panel, 30 amp 120v service, latex foam/memory foam mattress, porta potie, battery inter-connecter switch, receiver hitch, and all the creature comforts the 1996 CADDILAC FLEETWOOD luxury vehicle provides the driver and passenger.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-CLASS-...ash=item2f0243c2d1:g:6WwAAOSwE0JY-UxI&vxp=mtr

superbuickguy

Explorer
Now the dash is in for real
P4270517_zpsittihqpx.jpg

a bit of grinding work but I had to glue again so no skim coat
P4270516_zpsuecd6uj6.jpg

P4270514_zpseiknzius.jpg

aforementioned fix
P4270515_zpsqez4kqbz.jpg

the antenna for the ham portion of the radio
P4270512_zpsezxjcynd.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
THE WANDERERS #12

SMOKEY AND THE BANDITS - PART III

By Rick Sieman

When we last left Carl and Emma, they were spending some time with Officer LaRue Honker in Log Jam, Georgia. You see, Officer Honker shot a hole in Carl's engine by mistake, thinking he was aiming a radar gun. While Honker's brother-in-law was fixing Carl's motor, Carl was assisting the peace officer in ticket writing, and having a good time at it.
A string of 4-x4- crooks had been operating locally, foiling the best efforts of the Log Jam Police Department. Carl and Larue were busy making plans to apprehend the 4x4 thieves.

We join them at the kitchen table at Officer Honker's house.
"More okra and possum jowels, Carl?" asked Velveeta, Officer LaRue's wife.
Carl subdued a small burp. "Gosh, no thanks, Velveeta. I'm packed to the snouts. But I could use just another taste of that good old home brew."
Velveeta picked up the mason jar in front of Carl and moments later returned it full. She smiled. "LaRue, Emma and I are going to go in the living room and watch WWF wrestling. There's a big tag-team match on tonight, with Greg "The Hammer Valentine and The Honky Tonk Man, taking on George "The Animal" Steel and Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka. We'll leave you two boys alone here in the kitchen so's you can figure out how to trap those crooks. There's some pecan cookies next to the fridge if either of you get hun¬gry."
LaRue took a deep sip from his mason jar and his eyes widened a bit. "Carl, we got to figure out some way to nab these guys. I think that tryin' to chase 'em down is a lost cause. All's we got is my Land Cruiser and that just ain't fast enough. "
"LaRue, when will your brother-in-law have my Suburban done?"
"Two days. Mebbe three at the outside. Whyzat?"
Carl took another deep pull on the mason jar. "Well, why don't we just chase em down with The Whale? It's got plenty of beans and great suspension."
LaRue emptied his mason jar and refilled it, "Nope. That'd be way too dangerous. We might hit one of those New York lawyers while we chase em down and get sued to death. We gotta think of some other way."
Carl emptied his jar and refilled it, then took a long sip. "Well, howsa 'bout we leave the keys in The Whale and let them steal it?"
LaRue slurped the mason jar a good three inches lower. "What good zat gonna do? Then you're out a perfectly good truck."
Carl sucked down about half of his jar and shuddered. "What if I'm in it?"
LaRue took another deep slug. "Then they'll steal you, too. That'd be grand theft auto and grand theft of a retired Navy Chief Petty Officer. Pretty serious stuff. Probably a federal violation. FBI might want in on the deal."
Carl drained his jar and refilled it again. "We don't need the FBI. I'll hide in the boat on the roof and when they steal The Whale, I'll nab 'em. You can wire me for sound and I'll keep you posted. This way we can follow 'em to their hideout. Whaddaya think?"
LaRue emptied his jar. "I think I'll have another drink. It stimulates the thinking process."
Carl weaved a bit from side to side. "Yes, but we better have some of those cookies. You should never drink on an empty sto¬mach."
"Good idea! But first let's refill these mason jars. Cookies can make a man damned thirsty!"

An hour later, Emma and Velveeta shut down the TV and walked into the kitchen, to be greeted by the sight of two rather large grown men snoring, faces flat on the kitchen table, with cookie crumbs dribbling out of their mouths. It took a good half-hour to drag them both into bed.

Two days later, both Carl and LaRue were still recovering from a Class AA hangover as they wandered into the crusty old Sinclair station run by Honker's brother-in-law. "Carl, this here's Fred¬dy. we call him Frogman, Froggy for short."
Carl shook hands with the tall, lanky, freckled, red-haired mechanic. "Well, Froggy. How's she goin'?"
Froggy carved some grease out from under a fingernail with a large straight slot screwdriver. "She's done, Carl. And if I have to say so myself, she's better'n when she came in here. I found a coupla valves that were burnt on the edges, and you was pumpin' some oil on number three and number eight cylinders. I put a good seasoned block in and set up the tolerances jist like I would for a stock car that was gonna run at Arlington.
"Take 'er for a spin and don't worry about breakin' 'er in. I run it on the dyno over at Hank's Speed Shop for a good three hours."

Fifteen minutes later, Carl pulled back into the service bay, with a big grin on his face. "Shoot, Froggy, I smoked the tires off the line like a pimply-faced kid in a little deuce coupe. You are a certified genius."
"Yes, I know."

LaRue and Carl huddled together in a booth at the Frosty-Freeze stand and made their plans. " Okey-dokey, Carl. Here's the deal. We leave The Whale parked in front of Shorty's Bar and Grill and Bar."
"Why is it called bar and grill and bar, instead of just bar and grill?"
"Boy, are you northerners dumb. It's got two bars in it. Any¬ways, back to business. You hide out in that big boat on the roof and I'll make sure the keys are on the dash and the driver's side window is down. Now we know that at least seven of the 4x4s have been stolen from this spot, and always on a Saturday afternoon. I figure we're about due for another hit."

Carl clambered up into the boat and settled back with a copy of Field and Stream. Just about the time he was halfway through the article on how to get lunker trout on macaroni and cheese balls, he heard the familiar sound of the door on The Whale slamming shut. A moment later, the macho growl of the 454 rumbled into life. Then, with a squeal from the rear tires, The Whale pulled away from the curb and the chase was on!
Carl pulled out the small walkie-talkie. "Ten-four, over and out, roger-wilco, code seven, do you copy me, Smokey Bear?"
"Jeez, Carl, will you knock off the radio jive talk and just listen up. I'm about a half-mile behind you in my Land Cruiser. I'm gonna fall back 'til I'm out of sight. After that, I'm gonna hafta rely on you for radio directions. You let me know about turns and all that stuff. This is Smokey, out!"
"This here's Carl, in!"

About an hour later, The Whale creaked to a halt and Carl peeked from underneath the lower lip of the boat cover. He was in a clearing with a small cabin and dozens of trucks with camou¬flaged, tarps were all over the place. Perhaps a half-dozen rough-looking men lounged around the makeshift hideaway.
Carl got on the radio and whispered, "Uh, Smokey, this here's The Whale. I'm in a hollow with a cabin and a whole bunch of what appears to be stolen 4x4s. What are you gonna do? There's too many of 'em for one man."
"Just leave it to me. Over."
"Under," said Carl.

Ten long minutes later, Carl heard and a loud voice boom, "Don't anyone move! Y'all are surrounded by the Georgia National Guard. This is General Jones speaking. We will not shoot unless anyone makes a move, but if you even hint about doing anything funny, my men are under orders to open fire with bazookas, ma¬chine-guns and hand grenades. We have poison gas if you want to play it rough, and we also have killer attack dogs with us who haven't eaten for three days."
The men all got big eyes and looked toward their leader for advice. He simply put his hands up in the air.

LaRue's voice rang out again. "Now, I want the smallest man there to pick up a 2X4 and hit the tallest man on the head with it real smart-like. If he doesn't drop, we'll put a bullet or two right in the middle of your shorts."
A moment later, there was a dull thunking sound, followed by a groan.
"Now, the next tallest man gets the same treatment, or I turn the dogs loose!"
There was another whacking sound and a body hit the dirt. In a few minutes, only one person was left standing: a short man with a 2x4 in his hands and very wide eyes.
The voice rang out again. "Now then, you there with the 2x4. Hit yourself on the head with it!"
There was a dull thunk.
"Do it again. This time with some spirit, or I light off the flame-throwers and then send in the dogs for a barbecue of the leftovers!"
This time there was an even louder thunk, followed by a groan and the unmistakable sound of a body falling to the ground.
Carl stumbled out from underneath the boat and surveyed the scene around him. All of the men were on the ground, out cold. Officer LaRue Honker emerged from the bushes, with an ear-to-ear grin.
Carl shook his hand. "LaRue, I am impressed! How did you ever come up with that slick idea of getting them to knock each other out?"
"Had to. Left my gun back at the gas station by mistake."
"You mean ... "
"Right. We coulda been screwed, blued and tatooed."

Two days later, Carl and Emma bid a tearful farewell to LaRue and Velveeta. "Where y'all headed to now good buddy?" asked LaRue.
"South, old friend. To Miami. We could use some peace and quiet and, as I recall, Miami is a slow, kicked-back town with a lotta old, retired people."

Miami? Slow? Whoa, folks, what are Carl and Emma headed for?

superbuickguy

Explorer
Finally, I can get close to finishing the carpet.
P4300518_zpsxd7pbnuy.jpg

first a skim coat for the gauge pod
P4300526_zpsvpyn6jtn.jpg

*commercial break*

Today's episode is brought to you by Singer Sewing machines - when you can't afford the best, buy some Chinese product with an American name, Singer, because you can't afford German or Japanese quality.
P4300519_zpsmxzprurh.jpg

In my defense, my plan is to sew webbing for a dog crate - so a $20 sewing machine makes a lot more sense then a $1,500 sewing machine.... someday, but not today - though I'm grateful not to be sewing the webbing by hand

back to insulation.... $60 for 240 square feet, one side foil, from Home Depot
P4300520_zpsa3izy7ep.jpg

first replace the soda-encrusted issue
P4300521_zps2nnsbqap.jpg

add a bit of extra padding to where I suspect my mastiff will sleep
P4300522_zps8mfh46c2.jpg

starting to look just about like it did before
P4300523_zpsdqqh2rxd.jpg

and the back (note the dust floating about? yeah, it is a bit itchy)
P4300524_zps8cjxemtr.jpg

P4300525_zpsiogbdhcn.jpg

P4300527_zpsdg0jxy1g.jpg

In a pinch, I could make that tank work.... but I think not, this isn't a rock-crawler so I'll build a custom tank for underneath
P4300528_zpskjvzbk2c.jpg

and on that vein, I still am not completely sure the lay out
P4300529_zpspda1wcuq.jpg

that's all for today, thanks for watching

superbuickguy

Explorer
I hate leaking vehicles - so I spend more then a bit of time fixing that stuff.... this was a 90% fix, I bubba fixed part of it but will fix that too when I do the manual swap
P5010530_zpsb6zsftcy.jpg

seal replacement
P5010531_zps589wgznu.jpg

P5010532_zpshuiu49fg.jpg

and the rear one (I have bad words to say about that spring... I didn't notice it and put the first seal in - the driveshaft wouldn't go in... ugh)
P5010533_zpsyxyhcoju.jpg

more parts
P5010534_zps9z1lqmz1.jpg

who would have thought you could still buy this new, from GM?
P5020535_zpsvo86mmb8.jpg

tach sensor
P5020536_zps9mnn7sxj.jpg

and glue the magnets to the balancer
P5020537_zpsjg4wljce.jpg

and more sanding done on this.... thinking a crinkle finish will hide all sins
P5020538_zpsk0mi56q2.jpg

the sensor installed
P5020539_zpsohst2i81.jpg

and antennae installed
P5020540_zpsktdx2kds.jpg

I think I've circled back to this layout.... sink and cooktop will go on the driver's side
P5020541_zpsgbzm9ksv.jpg

larger battery goes here

P5020542_zpszyphf6d6.jpg

well, there's a couple evenings work...

superbuickguy

Explorer
creating antenna connections
P5040544_zpsjlrmamud.jpg

I do love solder-less connections (as long as there isn't any tension on the cable they work quite well)
P5040545_zps0injumrm.jpg

I wonder how many hours I'll have in these when done? I should probably have my friend 3d scan them so we can 3d print them later
P5040546_zpsl9lnmnbc.jpg

While Buick says this isn't a Hummer, he says it will do for now (especially if there's scary lightning and thunder out)
P5040547_zps37wt3hjo.jpg

cannot have enough connections
P5040548_zpsohv5iivh.jpg

I'm starting to be afraid I'll get accused of the gay spiderman wiring harness....
P5040549_zpskcd1bemv.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
THE WANDERERS #13

ON THE ROAD TO MIAMI - SORT OF

By Rick Sieman

When we last left Carl and Emma, they had just spent a few fun-filled weeks with a speed trap-operating cop in Georgia, and in the process, had managed to break up a ring of 4x4 thieves. They were next headed for Florida. Specifically, Miami. We join them now as they wander (what else?) south on Interstate 75.

Emma looked up from her knitting and asked, "Carl, I'm curi¬ous. Normally you don't take big freeways like this."
"Interstate, Emma. Interstate. There is a difference."
"What's the difference, dear?"
"Ummm, well, er, ahhh... you see, an interstate is funded by Republicans and a freeway is funded by Democrats. Yeah, that's it."
Emma beamed. "Carl, you're so smart! I never knew that. But anyways, why are we on this interstate instead of one of the backroads we take most of the time?"
"Its because I'm in a big hurry to get to Florida. You know I was in the Navy for 29 years, 11 months and 53 days, right? Well, I got some fond memories of the time I spent in Jacksonville and Sanford. I want to sort of drive by there and maybe look over the old stomping grounds. So I want you to keep an eye out for High¬way 10. That'll take me right ********** to the middle of Jackson¬ville. "
"Dear, this map says that 10 is an interstate, not a highway. Is there some other kind of difference I still don't know about?"
"Uhh, yup. You see, a highway is not quite as wide as an interstate, and if it is, you can't hardly make out the dif-ference just by looking at it. You ever see those guys out on the roads with those binocular-looking deals on the big tripods? Well, they're out there to measure whether it's a highway or an interstate."
"Oh, Carl, I just don't know how you manage to squeeze so much knowledge into your head."
"Well, I don't let it swell my noggin woman. Anyways, enough about roads and such. See if you can get something decent on that radio."

Emma fiddled with the dials on the imposing multi-bucks radio, and eventually found a control that changed stations.

Brrrraaaap ... zzzuup ... skritttch ... went the noise from the radio as the dial was turned from right to left.

" ... So stop by the Stuckey's nearest you and enjoy our pecan pie special. Now, back to our music, featuring Wesley Dank and the Pigtown Boys playing one of the biggest bluegrass hits this year, 'Don't Leave Me for a Trucker or a Cowboy, Just Jump off a Cliff Instead'... "'

…Dial, dial, dial…
" ... and we can expect a 90-percent chance of rain today across the southeastern seaboard, with humidity in the high ..."

…Dial, dial, dial…
" ... should be a great day today, with virtually no chance of rain and a brisk breeze from the south in the coastal region, with ... "

…Dial, dial, dial…
" ... and dry, hot winds from the west should virtually guar¬antee hurricane conditions if the cool air from the east hits it off the coast, so batten down the ..."

"Whoa, did you hear that, Emma? When I was in the Navy in Florida, the big seller was YooHoo Chocolate Soda. Looks like tastes have really shifted towards Coca Cola. Maybe we ought to invest a few of our retirement dollars in a Coke distributorship?"
"Oh, Carl, here's Highway 10. You have to head east here.'
"Hey, you're talkin' to a Navy man. I know the points of the compass like the back of my head. You just sit back and knit or read one of them wimmins magazines about mutant hormones, and leave the driving to old Carl."

Carl studied the maze of signs ahead, then guided the huge Suburban through the cloverleaf turns, eventually settling down to a cruising speed exactly two miles per hour over the speed limit.
Emma coughed quietly "Dear, are you sure you're going the right way?"
"Woman, just make like this is a Greyhound and leave the driving to me. I'll wake you up when the majestic Atlantic Ocean rolls into sight. Next stop, Jacksonville, home of a great Naval Air Station."
Emma crossed her arms, pouted and mumbled something under her breath. Carl drove happily on, spitting a wad of tobacco juice out of the window of The Whale every 6.2 miles or so, depositing yet another stain on the flank of the huge Suburban.

Hours later, Carl nudged Emma awake, and proclaimed, "There it
is Emma. The mighty Atlantic - the wettest and deepest of the 11
seas, and there's Jacksonville in the distance. Sorta puts a lump in my throat."
Emma snuffled. "It ought to put a real big lump, Carl. See that sign up ahead? It says 'Pensacola - 7 miles'. If that's the Atlantic Ocean l'm Jacqueline Cousteau."
"What ... wha' ... where ... How in the ..."
"Simple, dear you turned west when you should have turned east way back there, where 75 met highway 10. I tried to tell you, dear, but you wouldn't listen. Noooooo, you told me to go to sleep. Well, Mr. Navigator-Compassman, I'm going back to sleep. Wake me up when we do get to Jacksonville."
Carl swore a hearty string of Navy curses and swung The Whale around. The squeal of the tires was almost loud enough to drown out the giggling coming from the passenger's seat.

At Tallahassee, Carl swung south on 363, taking them close to the Gulf of Mexico. The white sand against the blue water was a thing of beauty, and they stopped for a while, found a two-track road leading to the beach, and parked The Whale there for two days.
For those two glorious days, they truly lived the good life. Carl fished in the small inlets, while Emma cooked some great meals. In the evenings, they sat in lawn chairs, running their toes through the warm white sand, sipping a cold drink or three.
To cap it off, they retired to the interior of The Whale, turned on the television, lined up the satellite dish and watched wres¬tling until they dozed off.

After the welcome camping break, they loaded up The Whale, and drove carefully down the sugar-sand road to Highway 98, which they took east to 27. Instead of heading back to the main roads again, Carl kept to the tiny back roads and got a genuine view of the real Florida that the tourists never get to see.

They passed small lakes where cattle stood knee-deep in water, munching on tall green grass. He drove by groves of orange trees, tidy little farms, towns that appeared to be straight out of the 1950s and sections of swamp land that looked like primeval bogs. They explored some interesting dirt roads, wandered from pavement to dirt, and back again. They stopped to eat along the way in small diners, and had real, fresh, orange juice, great seafood dinners and pecan pie with near-sinful richness.

Eventually, they arrived at the outskirts of a big city. This time, the sign said Jacksonville. Carl had no trouble whatsoever finding his way to the massive Naval Air Station, and after getting a visitors' permit, was allowed to drive on the base.
He pointed out the magnificent aircraft and huge hangars to Emma, who "ooohed" and aaaahed" with genuine appreciation. Smart¬ly dressed sailors walked around, looking much like starched penguins.
Emma pointed "Why are those sailors over there dressed so funny, dear?"
"Them ain't sailors, Emma. Them's jarheads."
"Jarheads!"
"Yeah, Marines. Swimming pool sailors. Their insignia is a chicken standing on a basketball with an anchor hanging from its butt. lf you can t read or write, you get to be a Marine. lf you're smart, you get to be a sailor."
"Gosh, I never knew that, dear!"
"Don't ever forget it, Emma."

After two hours, Carl had seen enough to convince him that the Navy was still functioning strongly, despite the fact that he was no longer in it.
They drove The Whale up to the gate and Carl went inside to sign out and return the visitors' pass. The Lieutenant JG behind the desk was courteous. "Well, sir. How did you like your tour?"
Carl beamed. It was the first time he'd ever been called sir by an officer
"It was great! You know, I just retired from the Navy a few years ago, and this sure brought back a lot of memories."
"Well, l'm glad you enjoyed it, sir. Where, to now? Back home?"
Carl scratched his chin. "Nope. It's off to Miami for us. l'm going to look around a little bit, relax and maybe try to work out a deal where I can distribute some Coke and turn my retire¬ment money into some real bucks!"
The eyes of the young officer turned deadly cold.
"Sir, please leave this facility right now. And if I see your face again, I'll shoot you in both legs on the spot!"
Carl, stunned, took Emma's arm and escorted her out to The Whale. As they drove away, very confused and puzzled, Emma shook her head and asked, "Carl, why do you think that nice young man turned so nasty all of the sudden?"
Carl spit a wad of Red Man out of the window! "Dunno. Must be a YooHoo cola man."

Good Lord! What is Carl getting into? He's heading south to Miami, the drug center of the United States, and doesn't know the difference between coke and Coke. I don't know about you, but frankly, I'm concerned about what's coming up!

superbuickguy

Explorer
I can't think of a better description of Overlanding

They passed small lakes where cattle stood knee-deep in water, munching on tall green grass. He drove by groves of orange trees, tidy little farms, towns that appeared to be straight out of the 1950s and sections of swamp land that looked like primeval bogs. They explored some interesting dirt roads, wandered from pavement to dirt, and back again. They stopped to eat along the way in small diners, and had real, fresh, orange juice, great seafood dinners and pecan pie with near-sinful richness.

and it is true - I used to sell Coke too. Increased sales 3x in my area and got all sorts of awards.

superbuickguy

Explorer
I got a lot done today, just not on the Suburban... but I did do one thing pretty important - I drove it. I hadn't taken it out since before I fixed the vacuum pump - and found today that the cruise control works too (yay). Took some dogs too, they seemed to enjoy going out too
P5070556_zpskp4dkdyn.jpg

and took the headliner out - at some point I hope to be going forward, but this is important because I need to insulate the roof, build brackets for the roof rack and do the wiring for the solar panels and the a/c that's coming soon.... ugh, I wonder how far I'll get before the rally? I still need to build a tow bar for the fj40 ....

headliner is out
P5070557_zps8w5aa91t.jpg

tomorrow I'll weld up the holes from the old roof rack, then get onto the new rack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke