The Wanderers build

superbuickguy

Explorer
that's really cool - for my plan this, I don't think it generates enough power (300 amps - but it never lays out @ what voltage, it talks 12 or 24 but worst case that's 3600 watts output per day - and I need that per hour) that said, and you're right, technology is rapidly moving towards what I want to do. My solution is simply adding a shore-power plug. Then I can run a gas generator, plug it into a camp spot, or add some other type of generation as tech improves.

I have to keep the details under my hat for now, but I think I have the storage-solution I was looking for. Lots of Overland is travel from point to point, so static generation isn't the only source of power available. I will hint, though, the most efficient hybrids are not a Prius but a GMC bus. If it happens, I promise you'll laugh.

superbuickguy

Explorer
well now that's an issue. I didn't think my vacuum pump was coming until Monday. It got here today, so it's possible I will take this beast to MULE....

superbuickguy

Explorer
and had a few minutes after sundown to drop it in
but first, what is it with Hondas and oil? this is my second in as many months that is peeing oil

vacuum pump

this should be fun

even better, slightly different

but it fits and works

one thing I did learn - I don't like Oldsmobile oil pumps because they use a star that, if you do it incorrectly, will not properly connect to the oil pump if you pull the drive.... this one is that design so I'll really be watching oil pressure so I don't have another meltdown like I had with my 455 in a boat.
pressure is fine for now

scott7022

Nobody
that's really cool - for my plan this, I don't think it generates enough power (300 amps - but it never lays out @ what voltage, it talks 12 or 24 but worst case that's 3600 watts output per day - and I need that per hour) that said, and you're right, technology is rapidly moving towards what I want to do. My solution is simply adding a shore-power plug. Then I can run a gas generator, plug it into a camp spot, or add some other type of generation as tech improves.

I have to keep the details under my hat for now, but I think I have the storage-solution I was looking for. Lots of Overland is travel from point to point, so static generation isn't the only source of power available. I will hint, though, the most efficient hybrids are not a Prius but a GMC bus. If it happens, I promise you'll laugh.

Oh Foreshadowing like a Saturday matinee cliff-hanger!! :) Yeah I know the unit doesn't punch the power you need and it is pretty stupid pricey too. But it was hydrogen LOL! Magnum research makes a Hybrid charge controller that will yank battery amperage to supplement incoming AC to punch an air conditioner past its start up hit. It ain't cheap either but... Just a suggestion if the promised GRAIL reveal doesn't work. Waiting with baited breath!! A geny suggestion from my observations in Russia. At home Canada/USA everywhere I look I see the little red Hondas. Quiet cheap and seem to have a significant market share. People ***** a little about 2000 actual running wattage over rated and advertised but very little. Here every single contractor I see is using the Westinghouse 2400i or earlier variants to run power tools. So I figured perhaps they couldn't buy Honda's. Found a store, not easy as my ability to read Russian is limited, and went in to see. The owner sells Honda Power equipment and can get generators but told me to buy a Westinghouse!! He doesn't sell westinghouse and had 2 Honda generators on the shelf. He said I would not be happy and would just bring it back. I don't mean to thread jack, my point is what is top grade changes significantly depending on where you are. Opinions are so culturally and regionally bias, truly amazing. So carry on doing your Impossible and I will watch with admiration.

superbuickguy

Explorer
heh - note my recent luck with Honda anythings. First a pressure washer, now TRX450r - both leaking oil....

anyway, carrying on with tonight's update.
so I bought this because I couldn't find any used air ducts - it's a molded bit that goes from the center HVAC to the left of the driver - I was doing a bit of whining and then thought "I wonder if I can find a new one" the answer is yes, yes I can... so it's on its way and this will be used for the passenger side

first job was one I've been avoiding because it's such a pain to do - running the cruise control wire down the column. I guess I'm going find out why they just didn't run it down the same hole as the signal wires... until then, I should have cruise control again

I was smart, I left the wire

then I wasn't when it detached on the way through
so time to take the column a bit more apart

hey look, new stalk installed

dash cap on... except for the aluminum-ish bit ... oh yeah, it broke into a thousand pieces

I think I'm going to retract my comments about the cap. It's a functional cap, but it's not terribly accurate so there are issues

started installing my HAM radio

and my radio

radio is now wired, I just need to make the hole and get an antenna adapter. I still don't know what I'm going to do about the broke bit. Probably should just glue it together... we will see.

Last edited:

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I have the same hard dash cover. It tends to pop off on the passenger side when I hit bumps and fall into the passenger compartment. Not sure how it was held on originally.

I like the multifunction turn signal stalk. I need to come up with a wiper delay function on my truck. "Off" or "on" is not gonna cut it for me.

superbuickguy

Explorer
clear silicone. As far as delay - did yours come with it originally? is it on the dash or column? As for the cover - it's just clear silicone holding it on, add a dab and it should hold down again.

this update hardly seems worth it, but here it goes
P4240496_zpsae2yc5pd.jpg

fortunately, I didn't forget about the need to fix the ground before I put the dash back together
P4240497_zpsojdcuadn.jpg

it all even works - I have to take it apart one more time and get the antennas for the HAM quad band radio (it transmits on GMRS, FRS, and CB frequencies along with commercial (aka race radio) bands, and technician frequencies) - I decided to use 2 antennas and a switch so that I don't have the same issue I'm having with my one-antenna-to-rule-them-all-easy-to-break issue.

Last edited:

superbuickguy

Explorer
There is a GM switch that controls the delay function that goes in your dash. I had a truck with that - no need to switch the steering column

superbuickguy

Explorer
fixes and gauges - or, how many ways can one fix plastic parts?

first the aluminum looking panel that snapped...
P4250499_zpspj4umwce.jpg

gorilla glue is a good thing
P4250500_zps5wb3rokb.jpg

P4250501_zpspkdgqgmj.jpg

this is already making me itch
P4250502_zpsxxbcqoz8.jpg

aiming a bit too high
P4250503_zpstmznjlzj.jpg

but wait, I have sewer pipe
P4250504_zps20senmv6.jpg

Buick isn't sure
P4250505_zpsgvvlufy7.jpg

P4250506_zpsqtkq3v6b.jpg

meh, what does he know - he's just a dog
P4250507_zps4ibawmpm.jpg

the purpose of the bondo is to keep the fiberglass from leaking through when I cover it all with a coat of fiberglass
P4250508_zps4vxwcorf.jpg

P4250509_zpsx2zirhye.jpg

thus it just gets smeared on
looks like the gorilla won again
P4250510_zpsdskzpmss.jpg

one of the antennas for the dual antenna setup
P4250511_zpsfcfhpb1o.jpg

P4250510_zpsdskzpmss.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
I'm not completely sure I understand the question - but the very nutshell is it gives you the ability to talk over vast distances from anywhere for free.

Sponge

Adventurer
I'm not completely sure I understand the question - but the very nutshell is it gives you the ability to talk over vast distances from anywhere for free.

Sorry I should have been a bit more specific!

Why would you go with a HAM radio over a conventional CB? Are you doing something that requires a HAM? Can you connect HAM to CB? Do you need a license to run a HAM or is that a thing of the past? I'm a little shocked to see one in a vehicle I've never noticed it. I always thought HAM radios were used in people's basements before the internet existed!lol But after thinking about it small planes and emergency services probably use that sor of Radio?

Last edited:

superbuickguy

Explorer
My wife and I are both heavily involved with Search and Rescue - we use what's called commercial frequencies (aka race radio) channels for that. CBs don't have the range of HAM. You do need a license for HAM, those guys in the basement get all persnickety if they think you don't have a license and will call the feds who will come to your doorstep... but it's really an easy test.

HAM is a number of frequencies that are reserved for amateur radio use. There are 3 levels, technician, general, and extra licenses. With each succeeding level, you can use more exclusive frequencies. Technicians can use 144mhz, 220mhz, and 440 mhz - those are normally described by the length of the wave that each one does. For example, the lowest is 70cm between peaks, technicians can use that frequency and 2m, and 6m. the longer the distance between the peaks the greater the range (sort of). the Extra license lets you use 10 m - but at those frequencies you can do serious harm (think microwave your neighbor) - so there is the basic. To confuse you just a bit more, CB uses 11m, but it doesn't allow the power - 3 watts is legal, 5 watts you won't usually get in trouble. With HAM radios and license, we can broadcast 50 watts. More watts, more power, more range. Not just that, but we can use parallel frequencies so that we can talk over each other if needed. Best of all, if you're using a private repeater, you can make it impossible for anyone but you to use that repeater by using offsets and other methods of gatekeeping.

HAM has been around since before WW2, but it's something that allow for transmitting even if the other forms of communication fail. A properly set up radio can bounce its signal off the atmosphere and talk to the other side of the world.... try with your cell phone when the power is out... because of its resiliency, the government (most governments, actually, have a vested interest in keeping the method alive). Because of that, and because we haven't talked yet about repeaters - that's a pretty cool thing. When you have a General license, you can set up your own repeater. Because there are thousands of people who set up repeaters, you can talk from just about anywhere using those 'public' repeaters. Best of all, outside of the equipment cost (which has dropped dramatically with chinese radios) - you can talk for free to pretty much anywhere in the world.

Now your CB question. Some radios (like the TYT 9800 in my Suburban and Land Cruiser) have the ability to broadcast on Technician frequencies, and Commercial frequencies (which are owned and you must have permission to use). In addition, it can also be a repeater and broadcast on CB, FRS and GMRS frequencies. If you use it for just those frequencies, you don't need a license... but it's not that hard to get, so why not? some of the most fun is listening in on those frequencies. Most NASCAR teams use Commercial frequencies and you can get the unadulterated news from the pits via listening. Cops broadcast on 440, and 880 frequencies - which you can, for the most part, listen in on. When the power goes out, I can listen to PSE's crews as they work their way to restoring power....

oh yeah, and I can talk to friends 5 miles away on the back side of another mountain without static.... which is really helpful when you're herding a bunch of cats over Liberty during the Overland Rally...

But in an emergency - it could be your only phone line, and could get you help in pretty remote places - think Africa or Saskatchewan.

superbuickguy

Explorer
Opinion?

Specs:
1/3 hp compressor motor, the most powerful in the RV industry today
Running Watts for Cooling - 1225 to 1450 Watts
Approximate full load amps - cooling - 11.1 amps
Evaporator Air Delivery on high speed - 200 CFM
Dimensions: 44 2/25" L x 32" W x 10" H
Weight: 92 lbs
Optional 5,600 Btuh heating element to take the chill out of cool mornings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior