The Wanderers build

superbuickguy

Explorer
Needs more build/pictures :)

you and me both... my H3 went down so I've been doing home improvements and daily driver repairs :(

with that said, this will interest 1% of this crowd - but this is what I'm working on right now

bbc 427, solid roller cam, 4 speed, I have flares for the car and it will be a barely streetable race car when done.

superbuickguy

Explorer
yep, mine is going to look very similar to this one.... custom images flares
port_michelle_feature-930x375.jpg

AlexCold

Observer
Looks good! I always thought C3s could and should be made more powerful. They have a real nice shape they just need more powerful engines. The first Corvette I ever drove was a late model C3 with crossfire.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

superbuickguy

Explorer
just a touch over 700 hp from the BBC I'm building for mine should be a good start to addressing that issue. Of course, 400 hp wasn't enough (the last C3 I built) so I may have to build another was something north of 4 digits in hp - the sickness is I already have the motor to do such silliness.

superbuickguy

Explorer
Tentatively, this
17 x 11 rear with 3.75″ backspace 315/30/17

17×9 fronts with 4″ backspace 275/35/17

However, Ridetech is running a 305 front tire and I may go that route on mind as well.... I'm kind of doing this car backwards - I'm doing the motor/running gear with stock suspension, then the flares, body and paint, then I'll loop back to put a suspension based upon the C5 on the front and a guldstrand-based rear suspension last... my goal is to drive it next summer - thus if I do the suspension as part of the initial build; that simply won't happen. In that vein, I may simply buy another frame and do the work then swap bodies (which would be terrorizing because the body would be done and painted).

That said, my current goal is get it running so I can pull the Suburban back in the shop and finish all the stuff I had to duct-tape just to get it done enough for the NW Overland Rally...

Loubaru

Adventurer
Wow, I'm usually not a huge fan of C3s but the one your are aiming your build towards is a looker! Are those the HF wheel dollies? How do you like them? My Tundra is ~6-8" too long for my garage the way I have it configured (work bench/boxes/shelving) so am thinking about buying a pair to be able to angle it easier for long term/winter work where I want to be able to close the door.

Doc_

Sammich!
Sweet 'Burb! I've always loved that body style.
You wouldn't happen to be the same SuperBuickGuy from Bangshift, would you?

superbuickguy

Explorer
Wow, I'm usually not a huge fan of C3s but the one your are aiming your build towards is a looker! Are those the HF wheel dollies? How do you like them? My Tundra is ~6-8" too long for my garage the way I have it configured (work bench/boxes/shelving) so am thinking about buying a pair to be able to angle it easier for long term/winter work where I want to be able to close the door.

grease the snot out of them, and they work great. if you don't, the cross shafts can rust and make moving your vehicle a challenge.

superbuickguy

Explorer
OFF-ROAD OCTOBER 1992 THE WANDERERS # 45
Carl and Emma live the good life. Carl, a retired Navy Chief Petty Officer, drives a huge 4WD Suburban all over the country to explore off-roading areas. The Suburban, nick-named The Whale, is loaded to the max with every goody known to man. Emma, a very patient lady, tries to keep the short-fused Carl out of as much trouble as possible.
What's been happening? It's almost too bizarre to relate, but we'll try. Carl and Emma agreed to help Sheriff Hooter arrest the man who had been running a stolen-parts scheme in Winnemucca, Nevada.
This got Carl and Emma out of a sticky situation. In fact, Sheriff Hooter was very pleased with the whole deal, and noted: "Well, thanks to you folks ... and especially Emma ... we broke the stolen car and truck ring. Say, do you folks want to hang around here with me and my Missus for a few days and do some good, old-fashioned off-road gold prospecting?"
Sheriff Hooter introduced Emma to his wife, Bambi and they hit it off just fine. Both of them were members of the Polka Dancers Society of North America, and Bambi was a certified instructor. This was sort of amazing, as Bambi hit the scales at close to 300 pounds, soaking wet, which was the way she was most of the time. You see, Bambi sweat a lot. When you're only five foot two inches tall and weigh the same as an NFL center, your body is working hard just to stay on the bones.
She was quite a contrast to Sheriff Hooter, who at six-seven and 175 pounds, looked like Ichabod Crane with a badge and a pair of pistols strapped to his hips. Big mirrored cop-sunglasses perched atop a hawk-like nose. Sheriff Hooter certainly looked the part!
The four stopped off at the Dew Drop Inn for a bite, and to make some prospecting plans. Emma ordered a cheese melt and a glass of wine. Carl and Sheriff Hooter got the Double-Drop Burger and split a pitcher of beer, while Bambi got a double order of spaghetti, a heaping basket of fries, three pastrami sandwiches, a plate full of pickled eggs, a half-dozen Slim Jim sausages, three bags of Beer Nuts and a huge dill pickle.
Carl looked at the huge pile of food and stared. "Uhh, ain't you gonna get something to drink, Bambi? I mean, you gotta wash food down to digest it properly."
Bambi smiled until she had three chins. "Oh, I'll have a Diet Dr. Pepper later on. I'm trying to watch my weight."
After the food had been polished off, Sheriff Hooter spread some maps out on the table, while the women shot some pool and punched up some Willy Nelson songs on the old-style juke box.
Hooter pushed his sunglasses up on his nose and pointed at the map. "Way I figure it is we head up Highway 95, then hang a right on 290. Then we drive a few miles until I find a dirt road turn-off that'll take us over to the Little Humboldt River. This goes past the Hot Springs Park. The elevation is about 6500 feet and there ain't many good trails and there's no markings. But if we find this one neat trail, it'll take us back to the old Getchell Mine area. And I hear rumors there's still gold to be found around there."
Carl swilled down some beer. "Sounds good. But what are you gonna use for a off-road rig? I mean, that crook stripped your Suburban and tossed the chassis off a cliff. You wanna just double up in my rig?"
Hooter pushed up the mirrored sunglasses for the umpteenth time. "Nope. It's best to go back in there with at least two vehicles, just in case one has problems. You just never can tell. Anyway, we got a nice little Jeep CJ-5 back at the house, and we like to hook a trailer on the back and take a couple of trail bikes with us. Me and Bambi like to trail ride, and I noticed you folks have some trail bikes on the bumper racks. So, are you up for a trail ride?"
Carl beamed. "Hellsfire yes! It's been a while since I fired those bikes up. I ride a 540 KTM with all the enduro stuff on and Emma has a Hodaka Ace 100 that's it pretty good shape, considering it's over 20 years old. Still has the original tires on it."
Sheriff Hooter drained the last of his beer. "Well, then. We'll pick you up at your motel in the morning. Five o'clock too early?"
Carl and Emma were waiting with the engine of The Whale warming up when Sheriff Hooter pulled up in his CJ-5. A trailer was hooked to the back, and two dirt bikes were snugged neatly down on the Holsclaw three-railer. One was a very clean-looking Yamaha IT-175 enduro and the other was a full-sized 650 Triumph with modern forks and shocks, as well as gnarly knobby tires.
Carl walked around the Triumph in awe. "Wow! I haven't seen one of these old non-unit engines for a long time. What year is it?"
Hooter looked pleased. "It's a '59 with a Rickman chassis from 1972. I got Suzuki RM forks up front - shortened, of course - and Works Performance shocks at the back. I got rid of that old crummy carb and put a Mikuni on it. Took the better part of a year to get it all together and dialed in."
The ride up the highway was pleasant, with the early morning dew glistening on the high desert plants bordering the pavement.
Soon they pulled off the highway and hit a nice smooth two track dirt road. Carl let the Jeep dictate the pace, but it seemed that Sheriff Hooter and Bambi had done this stuff before. The bikes were firmly secured with four Ancra tie-downs per bike, as well as having the wheels lashed down.
They drove for about two hours, enjoying the scenery and Emma kept note of markers should they ever want to repeat the route. The dirt road got rougher and tougher, and the pace slowed accordingly. A short time later, Hooter stopped the Jeep under some trees next to a shallow creek.
All the bikes were unloaded and the foursome put on their riding gear. Carl's eyes nearly bugged out as he watched Bambi stuff her 300 pounds of bulk into a set of pink riding pants, and then get all red in the face as she bent over to buckle her bright blue boots.
But what really caught Carl's attention was when Bambi slung a chubby leg over the Triumph and Sheriff Hooter got on the small Yamaha. Bambi gave one big kick and the Triumph fired right up and settled down to the rumpety-rump idle characteristic of a British twin.
Bambi blipped the throttle a few times, then did a big wheelie alongside the bank of the creek. Carl was stunned, and Sheriff Hooter felt obliged to explain: "You see, Carl, Bambi used to be a real good racer when she was a young girl. She did some flat tracking, ran some motocross and even did pretty good in the desert. Then she packed on a couple of extra pounds and sort of retired. But she can still make that old Triumph work pretty good."
Carl's jaw hung slack, as he watched Bambi pitch the big Triumph sideways, kicking up a rooster tail like a speedboat. She flicked the Triumph to the other side, popped up into another wheelie and then slid to a stop right next to Carl and the Sheriff. "Gosh Honey, you got this thing tuned right on the button! It ain't run this good since the hillclimbing championships up in Utah!"
For the first time in a very long time, Carl was virtually speechless. Emma just smiled and said: "Carl? Will you get me one of those bikes like Bambi is riding? I think I'm ready to move up from this Hodaka."
Sheriff Hooter pulled his helmet on: "Let's go find some gold!"
He put his blue Yamaha into gear and wobbled off down the trail, knees and elbows pointed out. Bambi popped another wheelie and took the lead. Carl let Emma ride in front of him on the Hodaka. Amazingly, Emma appeared to be at least twice the rider that Sheriff Hooter was.
The quartet settled down to a nice comfortable trail riding pace, which was sort of necessary because the terrain got downright nasty. At times, the trail turned into a narrow path, barely a handlebar wide. Carl was amazed at how good Emma was doing on the shiny little Hodaka.
They stopped in a box canyon and Sheriff Hooter unloaded the equipment in his back-pack. He then explained about gold, and how to find it, showing them basic panning techniques and how to identify gold from the other debris in the water.. the Sheriff was really into it: "Gold is amazing stuff. You can find it laying on the ground, you can pick it out of rocks, you can sift it out of the water like we're going to do. Heck, you can even extract gold as a by-product in the electrolytic refining of copper. Ya see, gold is a truly wondrous substance. The metal won't corrode; it's unreactive, being unaffected by oxygen and most common acids. You can find gold leaf on statues in China that's thousands of years old, and it's still perfect. Gold is neat. I like gold."
Emma pursed her lips. "That's real nice, Sheriff Hooter, but I guess all the gold is sort of gone. I mean, didn't they get it all out of the ground during the gold rush?"
Hooter drew himself up to his full height and got a stern look on his face. "No way, little lady. There's plenty of gold still out here to be had. All you got to do is work some, and have a little luck. In fact, I always take some gold back home every time I go out."
Carl perked up. "Really? How much on an average day?"
Hooter raised one eyebrow and thought for a few moments. "Oh, if I just go out for a day, I might pick up a few hundred dollars worth of dust. On a good weekend, I might take home between 700 and a grand. But every once in a while, you have a real good day. About two years ago, I hit a pocket of good stuff and took home about $25,000 worth of dust. That's how I was able to buy that Suburban the crook stole. Those things ain't cheap!"
Carl got nose-to-nose with Sheriff Hooter. "Let me get this straight. You mean I can really find some gold out here? We're not just playing some Disneyland kind of games?"
Hooter pushed his sunglasses up his nose for the zillionth time that day. "Carl, If you hit a pocket, you can turn right around, head back to Vegas and buy half the town. Things can happen. Of course, you can draw blanks. You never know. That's half the magic of this game. Now let's get busy and find some glitter!"
They all headed down to the stream and started panning. Carl got down and scooped some sand and gravel up, swirled it around in the water. Nothing.
He walked way downstream, away from the group. Carl saw a little pool of water and settled down with the pan. He scooped up some bottom, rotated the pan, and ran some water over the edge. A huge pile of glistening gold metal appeared in the pan. Carl washed the debris out and deposited the gold-colored metal into a plastic bowl.
Carl frantically worked the area, and after an hour, had a wad of gold-colored metal in the bowl that must have weighed seven or eight pounds. Carl did some quick calculations. $345 per ounce...and 16 ounces to a pound. Wow! Over five grand!!! Times how many pounds? Holy Smokes! Thirty five, maybe forty thousand bucks in one hour! How much could he extract from the stream bed in a day? Or even in one solid weekend? His mind reeled!
Has Carl finally hit it big? Has the Mother lode of all time been found? We'll find out next month.
What's been happening? It's almost too bizarre to relate, but we'll try. Carl and Emma agreed to help Sheriff Hooter arrest the man who had been running a stolen-parts scheme in Winnemucca, Nevada.
This got Carl and Emma out of a sticky situation. In fact, Sheriff Hooter was very pleased with the whole deal, and noted: "Well, thanks to you folks ... and especially Emma ... we broke the stolen car and truck ring. Say, do you folks want to hang around here with me and my Missus for a few days and do some good, old-fashioned off-road gold prospecting?"
Sheriff Hooter introduced Emma to his wife, Bambi and they hit it off just fine. Both of them were members of the Polka Dancers Society of North America, and Bambi was a certified instructor. This was sort of amazing, as Bambi hit the scales at close to 300 pounds, soaking wet, which was the way she was most of the time. You see, Bambi sweat a lot. When you're only five foot two inches tall and weigh the same as an NFL center, your body is working hard just to stay on the bones.
She was quite a contrast to Sheriff Hooter, who at six-seven and 175 pounds, looked like Ichabod Crane with a badge and a pair of pistols strapped to his hips. Big mirrored cop-sunglasses perched atop a hawk-like nose. Sheriff Hooter certainly looked the part!
The four stopped off at the Dew Drop Inn for a bite, and to make some prospecting plans. Emma ordered a cheese melt and a glass of wine. Carl and Sheriff Hooter got the Double-Drop Burger and split a pitcher of beer, while Bambi got a double order of spaghetti, a heaping basket of fries, three pastrami sandwiches, a plate full of pickled eggs, a half-dozen Slim Jim sausages, three bags of Beer Nuts and a huge dill pickle.
Carl looked at the huge pile of food and stared. "Uhh, ain't you gonna get something to drink, Bambi? I mean, you gotta wash food down to digest it properly."
Bambi smiled until she had three chins. "Oh, I'll have a Diet Dr. Pepper later on. I'm trying to watch my weight."
After the food had been polished off, Sheriff Hooter spread some maps out on the table, while the women shot some pool and punched up some Willy Nelson songs on the old-style juke box.
Hooter pushed his sunglasses up on his nose and pointed at the map. "Way I figure it is we head up Highway 95, then hang a right on 290. Then we drive a few miles until I find a dirt road turn-off that'll take us over to the Little Humboldt River. This goes past the Hot Springs Park. The elevation is about 6500 feet and there ain't many good trails and there's no markings. But if we find this one neat trail, it'll take us back to the old Getchell Mine area. And I hear rumors there's still gold to be found around there."
Carl swilled down some beer. "Sounds good. But what are you gonna use for a off-road rig? I mean, that crook stripped your Suburban and tossed the chassis off a cliff. You wanna just double up in my rig?"
Hooter pushed up the mirrored sunglasses for the umpteenth time. "Nope. It's best to go back in there with at least two vehicles, just in case one has problems. You just never can tell. Anyway, we got a nice little Jeep CJ-5 back at the house, and we like to hook a trailer on the back and take a couple of trail bikes with us. Me and Bambi like to trail ride, and I noticed you folks have some trail bikes on the bumper racks. So, are you up for a trail ride?"
Carl beamed. "Hellsfire yes! It's been a while since I fired those bikes up. I ride a 540 KTM with all the enduro stuff on and Emma has a Hodaka Ace 100 that's it pretty good shape, considering it's over 20 years old. Still has the original tires on it."
Sheriff Hooter drained the last of his beer. "Well, then. We'll pick you up at your motel in the morning. Five o'clock too early?"
Carl and Emma were waiting with the engine of The Whale warming up when Sheriff Hooter pulled up in his CJ-5. A trailer was hooked to the back, and two dirt bikes were snugged neatly down on the Holsclaw three-railer. One was a very clean-looking Yamaha IT-175 enduro and the other was a full-sized 650 Triumph with modern forks and shocks, as well as gnarly knobby tires.
Carl walked around the Triumph in awe. "Wow! I haven't seen one of these old non-unit engines for a long time. What year is it?"
Hooter looked pleased. "It's a '59 with a Rickman chassis from 1972. I got Suzuki RM forks up front - shortened, of course - and Works Performance shocks at the back. I got rid of that old crummy carb and put a Mikuni on it. Took the better part of a year to get it all together and dialed in."
The ride up the highway was pleasant, with the early morning dew glistening on the high desert plants bordering the pavement.
Soon they pulled off the highway and hit a nice smooth two track dirt road. Carl let the Jeep dictate the pace, but it seemed that Sheriff Hooter and Bambi had done this stuff before. The bikes were firmly secured with four Ancra tie-downs per bike, as well as having the wheels lashed down.
They drove for about two hours, enjoying the scenery and Emma kept note of markers should they ever want to repeat the route. The dirt road got rougher and tougher, and the pace slowed accordingly. A short time later, Hooter stopped the Jeep under some trees next to a shallow creek.
All the bikes were unloaded and the foursome put on their riding gear. Carl's eyes nearly bugged out as he watched Bambi stuff her 300 pounds of bulk into a set of pink riding pants, and then get all red in the face as she bent over to buckle her bright blue boots.
But what really caught Carl's attention was when Bambi slung a chubby leg over the Triumph and Sheriff Hooter got on the small Yamaha. Bambi gave one big kick and the Triumph fired right up and settled down to the rumpety-rump idle characteristic of a British twin.
Bambi blipped the throttle a few times, then did a big wheelie alongside the bank of the creek. Carl was stunned, and Sheriff Hooter felt obliged to explain: "You see, Carl, Bambi used to be a real good racer when she was a young girl. She did some flat tracking, ran some motocross and even did pretty good in the desert. Then she packed on a couple of extra pounds and sort of retired. But she can still make that old Triumph work pretty good."
Carl's jaw hung slack, as he watched Bambi pitch the big Triumph sideways, kicking up a rooster tail like a speedboat. She flicked the Triumph to the other side, popped up into another wheelie and then slid to a stop right next to Carl and the Sheriff. "Gosh Honey, you got this thing tuned right on the button! It ain't run this good since the hillclimbing championships up in Utah!"
For the first time in a very long time, Carl was virtually speechless. Emma just smiled and said: "Carl? Will you get me one of those bikes like Bambi is riding? I think I'm ready to move up from this Hodaka."
Sheriff Hooter pulled his helmet on: "Let's go find some gold!"
He put his blue Yamaha into gear and wobbled off down the trail, knees and elbows pointed out. Bambi popped another wheelie and took the lead. Carl let Emma ride in front of him on the Hodaka. Amazingly, Emma appeared to be at least twice the rider that Sheriff Hooter was.
The quartet settled down to a nice comfortable trail riding pace, which was sort of necessary because the terrain got downright nasty. At times, the trail turned into a narrow path, barely a handlebar wide. Carl was amazed at how good Emma was doing on the shiny little Hodaka.
They stopped in a box canyon and Sheriff Hooter unloaded the equipment in his back-pack. He then explained about gold, and how to find it, showing them basic panning techniques and how to identify gold from the other debris in the water.. the Sheriff was really into it: "Gold is amazing stuff. You can find it laying on the ground, you can pick it out of rocks, you can sift it out of the water like we're going to do. Heck, you can even extract gold as a by-product in the electrolytic refining of copper. Ya see, gold is a truly wondrous substance. The metal won't corrode; it's unreactive, being unaffected by oxygen and most common acids. You can find gold leaf on statues in China that's thousands of years old, and it's still perfect. Gold is neat. I like gold."
Emma pursed her lips. "That's real nice, Sheriff Hooter, but I guess all the gold is sort of gone. I mean, didn't they get it all out of the ground during the gold rush?"
Hooter drew himself up to his full height and got a stern look on his face. "No way, little lady. There's plenty of gold still out here to be had. All you got to do is work some, and have a little luck. In fact, I always take some gold back home every time I go out."
Carl perked up. "Really? How much on an average day?"
Hooter raised one eyebrow and thought for a few moments. "Oh, if I just go out for a day, I might pick up a few hundred dollars worth of dust. On a good weekend, I might take home between 700 and a grand. But every once in a while, you have a real good day. About two years ago, I hit a pocket of good stuff and took home about $25,000 worth of dust. That's how I was able to buy that Suburban the crook stole. Those things ain't cheap!"
Carl got nose-to-nose with Sheriff Hooter. "Let me get this straight. You mean I can really find some gold out here? We're not just playing some Disneyland kind of games?"
Hooter pushed his sunglasses up his nose for the zillionth time that day. "Carl, If you hit a pocket, you can turn right around, head back to Vegas and buy half the town. Things can happen. Of course, you can draw blanks. You never know. That's half the magic of this game. Now let's get busy and find some glitter!"
They all headed down to the stream and started panning. Carl got down and scooped some sand and gravel up, swirled it around in the water. Nothing.
He walked way downstream, away from the group. Carl saw a little pool of water and settled down with the pan. He scooped up some bottom, rotated the pan, and ran some water over the edge. A huge pile of glistening gold metal appeared in the pan. Carl washed the debris out and deposited the gold-colored metal into a plastic bowl.
Carl frantically worked the area, and after an hour, had a wad of gold-colored metal in the bowl that must have weighed seven or eight pounds. Carl did some quick calculations. $345 per ounce...and 16 ounces to a pound. Wow! Over five grand!!! Times how many pounds? Holy Smokes! Thirty five, maybe forty thousand bucks in one hour! How much could he extract from the stream bed in a day? Or even in one solid weekend? His mind reeled!
Has Carl finally hit it big? Has the Mother lode of all time been found? We'll find out next month.

superbuickguy

Explorer
OFF-ROAD NOVEMBER 1992 THE WANDERERS # 46
Forward: Carl and Emma live the good life. Carl, a retired Navy Chief Petty Officer, drives a huge 4WD Suburban all over the country to explore off-roading areas. The Suburban, nick-named The Whale, is loaded to the max with every goody known to man. Emma, a very patient lady, tries to keep the short-fused Carl out of as much trouble as possible.
Let's bring you up to speed. After accidentally helping break up a stolen vehicle ring in Winnemucca, Nevada, Carl and Emma were invited by Sheriff Hooter and his wife Bambi, to take a little vacation and join them in some gold prospecting.
The two couples rode trail bikes deep into the back country, and Carl was amazed to see that Bambi, a fat little butter ball of a lady, was an expert dirt bike rider. After Sheriff Hooter explained the basics of panning for gold, everybody wandered off to search for treasure.
Carl started working a small pool of water in a stream, and noticed some golden flakes mixed in with the sand. Carl's' eyes opened wide and he started panning like a madman. An hour later, Carl had seven or eight pounds of gold flake separated from the water and sand. At $345 per ounce, Carl figured he had 35 or 40 thousand dollars worth of gold! His mind reeled! Holy smokes! Why, just by working one weekend, Carl figured he'd be set for life. Had he hit the Mother Lode of all time?
Two hours later, as agreed, everyone met back at the main camp and compared findings. Sheriff Hooter had smile on his face and showed everyone a mayonnaise jar with about a half inch of gold in the bottom. "Yup, hit me a pretty good pocket. I think we got us a new big screen TV in this here jar. How'd you do, honey-pot?"
Bambi held up a small pill bottle. "Oh, so-so. Enough to get some new shocks for my Triumph. I'm gonna call Works Performance when we get back and order those Ultracross shocks I've been wanting for some time now. Carl, how'd you do?"
Carl bit his lip to keep from grinning. "Not as good as I expected. Figure I got me ten or 11 pounds, tops." Carl held up a pair of Tupperware bowls filled to the brim with gold flakes. Might be a few ounces or so short of a hundred thousand bucks worth." He then smiled for ear to so wide that his neck got bright red. "By the way, dinner and drinks is on me when we get back."
Sheriff Hooter help up one cautionary finger. "Hold on there, Carl. Before you go buying a new house or two, let me do some checking on that stuff you got there."
Carl looked puzzled. "Whatcha mean? Gold is gold, ain't it?"
Hooter shook his head from side to side. "Not if it's fools gold. We got to do us some checks here."
"What kind of checks? We don't exactly have a lab out in the field."
The Sheriff started unpacking a back-pack. "We got some ways to figure this all out. First thing we do is git some valve grinding compound out. The light compound works best. Then we put about a half-teaspoon of the valve grinding compound in the pan with about a half cup of water, and mix it up real good.
"Then we tilt the pan back and forth real gentle. If it's real gold, the grinding compound will wash away and the gold will stay in the pan. But you gotta do this real easy like. Here, let's give it a try."
The sheriff mixed up the water and the grinding compound, then put in a pinch of Carl's flakes. He expertly swirled the pan around for a few minutes, with everyone intently peering at his motions. Slowly, surely, the pan emptied, until only a few gold flakes were left in the bottom. Hooter sighed. "Well, it looks like you got mostly iron pyrite, Carl. Sorry to be the one to tell you."
"Wait a minute! I'm not so sure I buy this here test. After all, there's still a few flakes in the bottom of the pan. Isn't there anything else we can do to verify this?"
Sheriff Hooter sighed. "Look Carl, I know how sad it is find fools gold, but if you want, we can show you the absolute for-real test of all. Let me get those potatos out of the sack."
Carl looked confused. "Potatos? I ain't hungry, Hooter. All I want to do is check out this here gold."
The Sheriff smiled. "Look, it's lunch time anyways. So we'll make a pot of coffee and heat up some beans and stuff, then I'll show you the potato trick."
Everybody spent a few minutes gathering dead wood for a fire, and while the women got it lit, the Sheriff showed Carl the potato trick. First, he took a penknife out, and with the smallest blade, cut a plug out of the potato. He then filled most of the hole with Carl's flakes. Then, he sealed the hole up with a leftover piece of potato, and placed the potato on the downwind side of the coals of the fire. Carl was curious.
The Sheriff explained. "Here's the deal. If you got real gold flakes, they'll melt down inside the potato and turn into a nugget. If it's fools gold, then you'll end up with the same flakes you put inside when we started, except they'll be discolored. You might notice that I put the potato downwind. That's so that the fumes don't get into our food. You got to do this in a ventilated area. Especially if you use mercury in your test."
"Mercury?"
"Yeh, the stuff you find inside of a thermometer. You put a little bit of mercury in with what you think is real gold, and the gold will get absorbed into the mercury."
"Then how do you get the gold back out?"
"The old baked potato trick once again. But you really gotta be careful, because mercury fumes are poisonous. The mercury will evaporate, and if you got real gold, you'll find a nice little nugget inside the potato. But make damned sure you don't try and eat that potato. You'll curl up like a banana slug and die a horrible death. Anyway, let's eat some lunch and check out your baked potato after we're done."
Carl wolfed down his pork n' beans and swilled four cups of coffee while staring at the potato. Meanwhile, Bambi ate three whole cans of beans, a half loaf of garlic bread, 11 Twinkies and a 16 ounce can of pickled Polish sausage. Carl leaned over to Emma a whispered: "No wonder that woman rides a 650 Triumph. She needs it to carry her food." Emma told Carl to shush up and be nice.
Sheriff Hooter pulled the potato off the coals with a stick, and cut it open with his knife blade. Steam obscured the inside of the potato for a moment or two, then Carl was able to clearly see the contents: the flakes were still there. No nugget.
Carl sighed deeply. "Well, I guess there goes the old fortune. You know Hooter, when I saw those beautiful flakes sitting on the sand, I figured I'd struck it rich. It just ain't fair. I mean, most any person is going to see that glitter and go nuts."
The Sheriff dug a hole and buried the potato. "Naw. You see, gold is a real heavy mineral. You looked in the stream and saw the flakes sitting on the sand. Real gold would have settled under the sand, just by the normal running motion of the water. You can pretty much say that anything you see laying on the bottom like that for sure ain't gold."
Carl looked puzzled. "Well then, what in the plu-perfect hell do you look for if you ain't looking for anything?"
Sheriff Hooter emitted a rare smile. "Now you're learning some of the basic secrets of a gold hound. Remember I told you how heavy gold is? Well, I usually look for a hard rock ledge with a small pool of water behind it. You see, the water with the gold flakes washes over the ledge, and settles out right behind the rock. By scooping up some bottom from that kind of spot, you stand a chance of finding some gold.
"Of course, you can always just walk up in the hills, stick your hand in a crack, and pull out a nugget. You can just never tell."
Emma held out her hand. "Sheriff Hooter? Can you put this in a baked potato for me? I was walking up in the hills, stuck my hand in a crack and pulled this out.
Everybody stared at the object in Emma's hand. It was about the size of a grapefruit and glistened with a golden yellow hue. "I didn't want to get my nails all scratched up by playing in the stream with some silly old pan. So I figured a stroll would be nice. Then I saw this big rock ledge with a crack in it and the sun was shining on something. And this was it. I don't care if it isn't valuable or anything. I'll have Carl drill a hole in it and I'll make a lamp base out it."
The Sheriff took the chunk from Emma's hand and studied it for a very long time. "Emma? It appears to me that you have a king-kong sized real gold nugget here! I don't even want to guess what that thing is worth!!!
Well, well, well. It looks like once again, Emma has saved the day. We just might be talking big bucks here. And should that happen, it's only fair to warn you that Carl has some big plans. Big, big plans.

superbuickguy

Explorer
It's funny to me that a couple years ago, I mentioned to several people about the gold mining that happened in Liberty - I think it struck a cord because I now know several people who carry a pan with them in their essential supplies. To me it's better then fishing because you don't end up (usually) with a fish.... if you haven't tried gold mining, it can be really enjoyable - so try it. A $12 pan from Amazon is all you need. The stories you just read are very accurate about gold searching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94