What jeep to get Zj or xj

Clos

Okay guys I currently landed a contracting job that requires me to drive a lot sometimes across state lines.. I currently have a 2500 ram megacab and the truck is great but this is my last truck for a while and don't want to put many miles on it.. I will do a lot of highway driving taking along with me, are my clothes and food.. once I get to the job site my driving will be on gravel roads and sometimes they can get bad but nothing extreme but muddy for sure.. so I want something with 4x4 with a set of nice all Terain tires maybe a small lift.. wanna get the best mpgs I can.. need it to be reliable and inexpensive to fix.. based on what I said what vechile is the better choice. Also I know some zj come with v8 is that something worth liking into? How are mpgs?

wADVr

Adventurer
If you're looking at reliability and easy to fix an XJ is hard to beat. A stock XJ will yield 15-22mpg. Not sure about the ZJ. Several of the ZJs components I am not a fan of such as the 5.2l v8, Chrysler transmission 44re I think, NP249 t case, CV axle joints and front driveline, Aluminum d44 in the rear of some. That said they are much more comfortable, the V8 equipped has more power with slightly less economy. The XJ is much more utilitarian, noisy, etc.

Drive both and see what works for you. Both are pretty economical to repair imo

kayadog

Adventurer
I've had both. I loved my XJ's but if you are spending a lot of time driving the ZJ is a lot more comfortable. The XJ's got maybe 2mpg more on the highway. I'd look at both and see what you can get the best deal on. If you drive on icy snowy roads the full time transfer case is nice.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
The WJ also came with the 4.0L and eats up miles better than either of the others. And newer as well.

Are you limiting yourself to the XJ/ZJ for a reason?

For what you've described, the Libery CRD (05-06, KJ) would be ideal. Able to get you there in comfort at relatively excellent mpg, and able to take on those final few miles with ease. If you find one with new head studs installed and already tuned, you won't have any other problems.

Clos

thank you guys for the info.. on the wj didnt know those still came with a 4.0.. the reason for zj and xj is ive always heard really good things about the 4.0 wanted a solid motor.. but since the wj has it thats something to consider.. as far as the liberty with the diesel didnt even know they had some with diesels.. i will see if i can find one at a decent price since a im big fan of diesel engines.. but either way will look and see whats out there at the best price for the best condition

timgr

Observer
XJs are great, but they have not been made since 2001, and popularity has made nice used ones scarce and/or expensive IMO. The ZJ went out of production in 1998.

The main appeal of the WJ (1999-2004) is it's the last front/rear live axle vehicle Jeep made except for the Wrangler. Anything else Jeep made after that will be IFS, and if IFS is ok, there are several other brands/models that you could consider.

The 4.0L WJs supposedly don't get that much better mileage than the V8s, FYI.

If ultimate mileage is a concern, and you can't find a decent CRD Liberty, IMO you'll find it hard to go 4WD with low range and break 20 mpg by much if any ... Cough, cough [Vitara] cough. There are other "all weather cars" (Subaru, RAV4, Element, etc) that will do fine on dirt roads and give decent mileage, but these aren't in the same class as Jeeps.

Last edited:

Redline61

Observer
I've owned several XJ's over the years and we still have our 99 but if I was doing any driving I'd pass on one. They just aren't very roomy and the WJ is a much better vehicle for eating up miles. Stay away from the V8 WJ's though. They are a Mercedes designed V8 and have a lot of problems. Only down side to the WJ is you lose the AW4 trans that the cherokee gets but the Dodge trans in the WJ isn't that bad.

I love Jeeps and have owned 15 different ones but honestly for what you are talking about I would highly recommend adding a 96+ 4Runner that is 4cyl and manual trans to the list. They are absolutely bullet proof and will get much better mpgs than the Jeep in slower speeds. Plus they ride well, are pretty comfortable, and if you can keep the stock tires on them they can turn mid 20s on the hwy as long as we aren't talking 75mph plus. Then again my Cherokee gets terrible mpgs on fast freeways.

JDaPP

Adventurer
I have the CRD Liberty. It is a good vehicle, the Selec trac (full time 4wd) is great and I average mid 20s with mixed driving (can get 30s on flat highway) all with 2" lift plus AT tires. Just be aware they do need some love to keep them going and not many people work on them. If you are mechanically inclined it is pretty easy to work on. If you go to the LOST KJs forum there is a ton of information on them.

ROKTAXI

Adventurer
I have the CRD Liberty. It is a good vehicle, the Selec trac (full time 4wd) is great and I average mid 20s with mixed driving (can get 30s on flat highway) all with 2" lift plus AT tires. Just be aware they do need some love to keep them going and not many people work on them. If you are mechanically inclined it is pretty easy to work on. If you go to the LOST KJs forum there is a ton of information on them.

I too have the CRD Libby ('05) It's a hate / love affair. I've had it for 3+ years and have done a number of must / should do mods to prolong the life of the CRD. Everything hinges on the previous owner and how well they maintained it. http://lostjeeps.com forum is great but can be overwhelming and intimidating. Once you have learned of their short-comings, you can make your decision.

I use mine more for "exploring" that minimizes the need to be always on the lookout for fuel stops and / or carrying fuel cans.

For a mostly hwy vehicle you will love the torque! If you're not mechanically inclined it may not be your best choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz